• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There are too many people who think they are smart in the world an that is why we are divided and in trouble.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Your title states
There are too many people who think they are smart in this world and that is why we are divided and in trouble

100% agree.

When everyone realizes that I am right, when everyone elects me as Supreme Dictator of Mankind, when humanity sees the truth of my words, then society will be fixed.
I don't agree.
At least not completely.

Seems to me that there are to many people who, because they are smart on one topic/subject, assume they are as equally smart in others.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Having a higher education doesn't preclude dimwittedness. Being smart does not mean being wise.
Wasn't talking about higher education (aka, college) - just general education and literacy. Point still stands regardless of your hair splitting here, but if you want to be a downer about things, go for it I guess. You'll have plenty of company as negativity is all the rage these days.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Seems to me that there are to many people who, because they are smart on one topic/subject, assume they are as equally smart in others
Seems to me, then, that the smartest person is the King. The guy who directs the various smart people and have them convinced to do the King's bidding. Surely the supreme ruler is the wisest, for they control all of the smarts. Well, at any rate, a supreme dictator would have the opportunity to utilize the collective knowledge of humanity. If such a dictator was a wise man, then we'd be good I think.

F1fan

Veteran Member
You are what you are and I am what I am through choice.

I am more than an animal, because I choose Love over hate,
Non-human animals don't hate, only humans can hate. In fact, many non-human animals show courage, and affection, and loyalty.

If you really love others let's see you renounce the Baha'i prejudice against gays.
I choose peace instead of war, I choose Trustworthiness over unreliability, I choose honesty over deception.
Oddly, the self-deceived will claim the same thing. So we need evidence, and that will be whether you renounce the Baha'i ideology that is prejudiced against gays. Your choice.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That is only self imposed blindness. The knowledge of God is demonstrated by the Messengers and any just and honest search of the claim can find it ro be true or false based on the evidence they provide us with.

The Messengers stand by their claim.

Regards Tony
How does one judge the messengers? There are so many claimants, with so many conflicting claims. How does one test them? Many claimants are long dead, and cannot be questioned, so their claims are just hearsay. Perhaps their very existence is just an oft-repeated legend.

What evidence is that? If it were reliable, objective evidence wouldn't everyone believe it, just as everyone believes the Earth is round and train tracks are parallel?
Evidence that cannot be objectively tested and falsified is questionable, is it not?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You are what you are and I am what I am through choice.

I am more than an animal, because I choose Love over hate, I choose peace instead of war, I choose Trustworthiness over unreliability, I choose honesty over deception.

Regards Tony
"Animal" is a biological term. An animal is defined by its biology, ie: anatomy, physiology, genetics, &c, not by its psychology, preferences, moral development or beliefs.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Faith has to be built on evidence, or it is blind faith.
If it's verified by good evidence it's no longer faith. It's knowledge.
All faith is blind, or at least myopic.
The Bible tells us that we must test the evidence, as faith can be also built on false evidence. This is a big topic.
As I recall the bible discourages testing and encourages, well... faith.
"... blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed." -- John 20:29.
The story of building on sand and rock is the teachings covering this aspect of Faith.

Matthew 7:24-27 The Wise and Foolish Builders

24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”

Regards Tony
That's knowledge of construction technology, not faith.
A repeatable, observable, physical comparison of the durability of houses built on different surfaces might, indeed, be a good test, but how would one test claims about the actions and preferences of invisible spirits?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That is just a matter of studying why God has created us.
How would one study or test that? Can one interview God?
Relying on the untested claims made by countless, inconsistent messengers and prophets seems unreliable, as do untestable, individual feelings or convictions based on familiarity or ecstatic experience.
One that is all knowing, has the reasons,it is the greatest gift we can be given , consciousness with the ability of rational thought.
Who is all-knowing, and how can we be sure of her omniscience? How do you know consciousness and rational thought are "gifts," rather than naturally evolved features?
If you were just an animal, none of this would matter at all.
But we are animals. I don't think you understand what "animal" means.
I think you've invented your own significance, perhaps out of hubris.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Your title states
There are too many people who think they are smart in this world and that is why we are divided and in trouble

100% agree.

When everyone realizes that I am right, when everyone elects me as Supreme Dictator of Mankind, when humanity sees the truth of my words, then society will be fixed.
Wait -- Is Anarchist actually Donald Trump?

TransmutingSoul

May God's Will be Done
Premium Member
How does one judge the messengers? There are so many claimants, with so many conflicting claims. How does one test them? Many claimants are long dead, and cannot be questioned, so their claims are just hearsay. Perhaps their very existence is just an oft-repeated legend.

What evidence is that? If it were reliable, objective evidence wouldn't everyone believe it, just as everyone believes the Earth is round and train tracks are parallel?
Evidence that cannot be objectively tested and falsified is questionable, is it not?
God gave us the criteria in the Bible. We have been given the tools we need to use to judge true and false prophets.

How we use those tools.does require and honest and just search of the evidence they give, which they offer is a Message from God. God is just, so God provides us the ability ro make that judgement, if we choose not to, or choose not to use justice when doing so, well that is upon us.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

May God's Will be Done
Premium Member
"Animal" is a biological term. An animal is defined by its biology, ie: anatomy, physiology, genetics, &c, not by its psychology, preferences, moral development or beliefs.
It also has spiritual metephor associated with it. Man can turn towards their animal side which is metephor for selfishness, or turn toward their Godly side which is metephor for virtues amd morals.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

May God's Will be Done
Premium Member
it's verified by good evidence it's no longer faith. It's knowledge.
All faith is blind, or at least myopic
Which is faith built on foundations of rock. My knowledge of God can be as strong as my knowledge of the material universe.

When we realise that all knowledge is relative to our given capacity and state of consciousness.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

May God's Will be Done
Premium Member
But we are animals. I don't think you understand what "animal" means.
I think you've invented your own significance, perhaps out of hubris.
I only share from the teaching given in all the Holy Wrirings of the past. This topic requires knowledge of the 5 levels of Spirit, which we can observe and see are at play in this matrix.

1) Vegetable Spirit - the power of growth
2) Animal Spirit - the power of the senses
3) Human Spirit - the power of rational mind
4) Spirit of Faith - the power of attraction
5) Holy Spirt - the power of creation, the Word.

We are born of the human spirit and this is why Jesus said we must beleive before we can be born again, that is, be born with faith into the Holy Spirit, which no death can overtake.

Regards Tony

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
God gave us the criteria in the Bible. We have been given the tools we need to use to judge true and false prophets.
Then why don't serious scholars see it. Please cite some of these criteria.
How we use those tools.does require and honest and just search of the evidence they give, which they offer is a Message from God. God is just, so God provides us the ability ro make that judgement, if we choose not to, or choose not to use justice when doing so, well that is upon us.

Regards Tony
I see no useful tools that couldn't apply to hundreds of other claimants.
God is just?! Are we reading the same Bible?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It also has spiritual metephor associated with it. Man can turn towards their animal side which is metephor for selfishness, or turn toward their Godly side which is metephor for virtues amd morals.

Regards Tony
No, biology is not spiritual. Science deals with the concrete, measurable and testable. There is nothing spiritual. There is no metaphor or basis in ancient folklore. It's a concrete, specific, technical term.
"Virtues and morals" -- that's a whole different magisterium.

Metaphor? Godly side?
You are using the term in a colloquial, poetic or philosophical sense. This is why sciences uses specific, technical terms. They eliminate semantic ambiguity.
Humans clearly fall squarely within the Biological or Taxonomic term "animal."

Last edited: