• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There is NO Historical Evidence for Jesus

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I argue that it is scientists who are transcendent, not believers.
I said scientists do not study things that are outside of nature. That is what I meant by they don't "examine" the transcendent. That was my precisely chosen wording. And that is accurate. Science cannot, nor does deal with questions about the existence of God.

Don't want to take my word for it? How about from the National Academy of Science? Does science disprove the existence of God? - The Science Behind It.

"Science doesn’t have the processes to prove or disprove the existence of God. Science studies and attempts to explain only the natural world while God, in most religions, is supernatural."​

Is there anything really more to argue here?
I assert this because it is the religious who work to maintain a tradition of belief, a status quo. It is scienists working towards moving past obsolete belief and explaining what is true about the universe.
Science works towards discovery what is true about the processes of nature. It does not for instance deal with questions of value and meaning. It does not deal with matters of beauty. Nor does it deal with the big questions such as the purpose of life, or if there is or is not some God behind it all. Those questions are outside of the role or abilities of science to address. You don't use a wrench to write a sonnet or compose a symphony.
Theologians and philosophers do work to keep old assumptions and beliefs alive
Not necessarily true at all. Many seek to expand and grow our understandings of the world and our place in it. What you are talking about are traditionalists, not philosophers or even theologians necessarily. Besides that, you have traditionalists in the sciences as well who fight against new ideas in science and work to keep the old assumptions alive as well. Don't lay that at the feet of religion. People are people are people, and you find those same attitudes existing in all disciplines.

You are mistaking religion as being the sole place you find conservatism. The reality is you have progressives there as well.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I was disappointed too, because I spent the majority of my life believing in Jesus and God. Like most former Christians I know, it was a real eye-opener for me when I got into researching the authenticity of the Bible and Christian theology. It began with a seed of doubt being planted as I helped my nephew obtain his Master of Theological Studies degree. A seed of doubt was sown while we studied the Bible and Christian theology as part of the requirements to earn the degree. The seed began to sprout during this time, and by the time I completed extensive training in an evangelistic ministry, it had grown into a fully flowering plant. I had read the Bible cover to cover several times before I began to help my nephew, but this was the first time I had read it with the intent to authenticate it. I read it without the influence of other Christians telling me what I should or should not believe about it. I suppose you could say that I read the Bible in a different light, which completely changed my perspective on it and made me to question everything I believed as a Christian. I tried to ignore my doubts for a long time, but I eventually reached a point where I couldn't. I realized I had to be honest with myself, and that's when I began to reevaluate what I believed as a Christian. This ultimately led to my decision to finally stop believing in God and renounce my Christian faith.
Obviously I can't speak for everybody. But when I attended church services both as a musician and as an occasional observer, I did not find assurance there of any God or anything I could ascribe to. It was not until I finally prayed that the veil was taken off my eyes. It took time, though.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I wouldn't be so certain of that. Certainly "Who I am and on whose authority I speak" is often a vital part of the message...
Baha'u'llah said who He was and on whose authority He spoke. He spoke on God's authority.

“Attract the hearts of men, through the call of Him, the one alone Beloved. Say: This is the Voice of God, if ye do but hearken. This is the Day Spring of the Revelation of God, did ye but know it. This is the Dawning-Place of the Cause of God, were ye to recognize it. This is the Source of the commandment of God, did ye but judge it fairly. This is the manifest and hidden Secret; would that ye might perceive it. O peoples of the world! Cast away, in My name that transcendeth all other names, the things ye possess, and immerse yourselves in this Ocean in whose depths lay hidden the pearls of wisdom and of utterance, an ocean that surgeth in My name, the All-Merciful. 34 Thus instructeth you He with Whom is the Mother Book.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 33-34

“Verily I say, this is the Day in which mankind can behold the Face, and hear the Voice, of the Promised One. The Call of God hath been raised, and the light of His countenance hath been lifted up upon men. It behoveth every man to blot out the trace of every idle word from the tablet of his heart, and to gaze, with an open and unbiased mind, on the signs of His Revelation, the proofs of His Mission, and the tokens of His glory.”​

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Of course I know Ehrman. He's the one who wrote:

“In the entire first Christian century Jesus is not mentioned by a single Greek or Roman historian, religion scholar, politician, philosopher or poet. His name never occurs in a single inscription, and it is never found in a single piece of private correspondence. Zero! Zip references!”

That's hardly an endorsement for believing Jesus was real considering he caused a supernatural darkness over the entire earth for 3 hours at noon, caused a great earthquake that ordinarily would have leveled Jerusalem, and cause dead bodies to rise from their graves and walk into Jerusalem and start conversing with people. Yet not a single person mentions any of this!
Excellent! You have now proven my point. The very fact that Ehman acknowledges these things, yet he rejects this notion that Jesus never existed, proves my point! Thank you.

As I said, citing that fact does not mean that Jesus never existed. Yet that is what you claim. Bart Ehrman, as a secular, non-religious, agnostic scholar, an expert in the field unlike you, accepts that Jesus did really exist, despite there not be any external secular sources who cite him. In other words, that is not the only reason for accepting Jesus was a real person, that does not entail drinking the Kool Aid of religious faith. If you want to understand his basis for why he believes he existed, and folks like Price and other mythicists are wrong, read his books.

Additionally, scholars that I refer to who offer sound reasons for why Jesus did exist historically, outside the realm of a matter of religious faith, accepting for secular historical reasons, I'd direct you to my favorite author, and the one of the top scholars on the historical Jesus, and co-founder of the Jesus Seminar (which conservative and fundamentalist groups hate), read John Dominic Crossan.

As I said, your citing there are no external references, is not a valid basis for denying Jesus ever existed. That is a fringe, and not well supported opinion among both religious and secular scholars. Have I made my point now?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Sure, there were many teachers in that era. But what evidence is there for the supernatural bits? That's where the stories get implausible and embellished. It's notable the Gospels are not consistent in their details. It's interesting how the myth of Jesus mirrors stories from Egypt and pagans. We can't ignore those facts with our reasoning about Jesus.

You're missing the context and flow of my conversation in this thread. It's OK, no problem, I'll get you caught up. It's not long.

The OP has come to challenge the claim made by others, not made by me, that there is historical evidence of the gospel Jesus. Yes, including the miracles. The objection raised is that those who make that claim rely mostly on the bible, and then confirm that reliance on a misunderstanding of what it means when historians claim there is evidence for the historical Jesus. Those who are claiming there is evidence of the gospels confuse, or ignore, that these are two different Jesuses.

My observation is, that the counter-accusation "It's all a lie" based on the myth-ranking of Jesus is equally erroneous, because the individual points in the ranking are not actually describing Jesus, but can be mis-read, and misinterpretted in the same way that a person misreads and misunderstands "historical Jesus" as being evidence for "gospel Jesus".

My claim is NOT that there is evidence for the gospel Jesus. My claim is that the conclusion reached due to the lack of evidence is an over-reaction. And evidence in support of this, is the obvious misunderstanding of the myth-ranking criteria when evaluating gospel Jesus.

Now, these similarities between Jesus and the egyptian stories and the pagans seem minor to me. I haven't spent a lot of time on them. But essentially it's casting a very wide net, and finding a few similarities in the vast number of stories. That's not meaningful. It's just law of averages.

Back when we had phone books, if I looked long enough, I'd find someone with my own exact name. That doesn't mean that my name was given to that other person for the same reason. It's the same with the Jesus story. If you keep looking through all the myths, there are going to be similarities. Just because those other stories might be false, and were written for a specific purpose, whatever that purpose was, that does not mean that the Jesus story is false and as authored for the same purpose, to be a myth.

These are called coincidences. If a skeptic begins believing in coincidences, then they have lost their skepticism.

And there are many stories that have historical backgrounds but include fictional characters. There are characters in books and movies that are based on real people, and I suspect if a Jesus actually existed in some way that he is used as a basis for the Gospels.

Yes, yes.... I know.

Well that wouldn't be an accusation, but a rebuttal, and assertion. And let's note that comparing Jesus to other fictional characters is MORE likely true and plausible than to believe the Jesus myth at face value.

I'm not saying to believe it at face value.

There is no rational reason to believe Jesus was everything the Gospels say, and what is popular among Christian belief.

And there's no ratinal reason to say it's entirely false either.

The whole Jesus story is absurd and suggests an incompetent God at work.

Nope. That's just ignorance and bias talking. The only god you seem to be able to imagine? Sure, that imaginary god is incompetent. But that's your own limitation.

I have argued numerous times that it makes vastly more sense to interpret the Jesus story and myth as symbolic, not literal.

But I'm guessing not like Hercules?

I also argue that it makes more sense to think of heaven and hell as metaphors for one's state of mind in life, not some destination after death.

Makes more sense to you, based on your own self-imposed need for evidence for everything. There doesn't need evidence for an idea to make sense. A person starts with an idea, and then logically moves from step to step, arriving at a conclusion. If the conclusion has explanatory power, and none of the steps leading to the conclusion are known false, and if each step is consistent and relevant, then the original premise "makes sense" and could have merit. Historians do this all the time.

Generally your arguments in this context are equally vacuous. They can be summarized as "what else could it be?" Basically an unanswered question elevated, improperly, into evidence.

Your "critic's creed" is biased. It opened the door to criticism itself. It didn't suggest you are interested in truth, but in justifying assumptions, and proping up existing belief. That's fine, it's preferable that this is realized instead of being biased against those actually seeking true answers.

Non-sense. The truth is, "it's unknown". And I accept that, no problem. And the critics-creed is exactly what happens 'round here everyday. Most often the bible-critic denies, never admits anything, never actually applies critical thinking to their own position, demands evidence for everything then concludes without evidence it MUST be false. And then conjures up some other outrageous counter accusation: Jesus is a mythical hero like Hercules.

But the critic believes they are so smart, and they are so critical that no one can fool them. But they forget that they are infact fooling themselves. These people, yourself included, most often came from Christian backgrounds, and they have traded one set of exaggerated beliefs for another.

For you, it's "My experience with Christianity was X,Y,Z, therefore ALL Christians and all religions with anything in common don't do A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H..... correctly or at all".

Last edited:

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
This thread is actually turning out to be a lot of fun, and it is a lot more fun for me because finally, it is not the Baha'is who are targeted, it is the Christians.
Finally I can sit on the sidelines and watch the game instead of playing it! :D

I don't know about fun, but it certainly is interesting. And I'm sure that the Christians participating in this thread are accustomed to others criticizing their religion and that a couple of them can handle the criticism without resorting to unfounded accusations and childish name-calling. I dare say that these Christians seem to understand the meaning of I Peter 3:15-16, which states, "But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander." Besides, unbelievers aren't the only ones criticizing the Christians.

lukethethird

unknown member
That does not change reality. If Messengers of God are evidence for God that is what they are and there is nothing you can do about it.

Circular reasoning is a logical fallacy in which the reasoner begins with what they are trying to end with. The components of a circular argument are often logically valid because if the premises are true, the conclusion must be true. Wikipedia

There is nothing wrong with this argument just because it is circular. The circularity does not reduce the validity of the argument in any way. However, this does not mean that the argument is sound.

So here is my perfectly valid circular argument:

If the premise Baha’u’llah was a Messenger of God is true, then the conclusion God exists must be true.
Logically the cow can jump over the moon, but it is not sound logic because gravity and bovine physiology doesn't allow for it, same with the silly nonsense that a messenger of god is proof of a god, as in a is true because b is true, and b is true because a is true.

Your logic is not persuasive because your reasoning skills lack credibility.

lukethethird

unknown member
I said scientists do not study things that are outside of nature. That is what I meant by they don't "examine" the transcendent. That was my precisely chosen wording. And that is accurate. Science cannot, nor does deal with questions about the existence of God.
God is not part of scientific theory because scientific theory is only concerned with facts, and there are no facts concerning gods.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Logically the cow can jump over the moon, but it is not sound logic because gravity and bovine physiology doesn't allow for it, same with the silly nonsense that a messenger of god is proof of a god, as in a is true because b is true, and b is true because a is true.

Your logic is not persuasive because your reasoning skills lack credibility.
The Messenger of God is proof of God because God sent Him as proof. It is as simple as that.

Circular reasoning is a logical fallacy in which the reasoner begins with what they are trying to end with. The components of a circular argument are often logically valid because if the premises are true, the conclusion must be true. Wikipedia

So if the premise Baha'u'llah was a Messenger of God is true, then God the conclusion God exists must be true.

The circularity does not change a thing. Any logical person could see that everything rests upon whether the premise is true.
What if the premise is true?

lukethethird

unknown member
I was disappointed too, because I spent the majority of my life believing in Jesus and God. Like most former Christians I know, it was a real eye-opener for me when I got into researching the authenticity of the Bible and Christian theology. It began with a seed of doubt being planted as I helped my nephew obtain his Master of Theological Studies degree. A seed of doubt was sown while we studied the Bible and Christian theology as part of the requirements to earn the degree. The seed began to sprout during this time, and by the time I completed extensive training in an evangelistic ministry, it had grown into a fully flowering plant. I had read the Bible cover to cover several times before I began to help my nephew, but this was the first time I had read it with the intent to authenticate it. I read it without the influence of other Christians telling me what I should or should not believe about it. I suppose you could say that I read the Bible in a different light, which completely changed my perspective on it and made me to question everything I believed as a Christian. I tried to ignore all of my doubts for a long time, but I eventually reached a point where I couldn't. I realized I had to be honest with myself, and that's when I began to reevaluate what I believed as a Christian. This ultimately led to my decision to finally stop believing in God and renounce my Christian faith.
That's a very interesting story of how you came to your conclusions. You reminded me of Isaac Asimov that stated something about reading The Bible as being the best route to atheism. I also read online recently that if you feel useless, just know that there are people out there with theology degrees. :)

lukethethird

unknown member
The Messenger of God is proof of God because God sent Him as proof. It is as simple as that.

So if the premise Baha'u'llah was a Messenger of God is true, then God the conclusion God exists must be true.

The circularity does not change a thing. Any logical person could see that everything rests upon whether the premise is true.
What if the premise is true?
Please try to understand:

Circular reasoning is not a formal logical fallacy, but a pragmatic defect in an argument whereby the premises are just as much in need of proof or evidence as the conclusion, and as a consequence the argument fails to persuade. Other ways to express this are that there is no reason to accept the premises unless one already believes the conclusion, or that the premises provide no independent ground or evidence for the conclusion.[3] Circular reasoning is closely related to begging the question, and in modern usage the two generally refer to the same thing.[4]

Circular reasoning is often of the form: "A is true because B is true; B is true because A is true." Circularity can be difficult to detect if it involves a longer chain of propositions. wiki

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What do we actually know about "god"? I would suggest very little, in fact, approaching nothing.
Is this true? I would say otherwise. If you listen to what mystics the world over, within many different religions, have all said of encounters with the Divine, there is in fact quite a lot of data there. It helps of course having had your own mystical experiences or an encounter with the Absolute to have some frame of reference, otherwise you simply have to see what others have said, compare what they say with one another, and create some sort of a 'map' in order to look at it objectively.

Now, at the outset, let's be clear. In no way would I treat mystical experiences as validation of any one belief about God, or the Absolute, but that there is 'something' rather than nothing there. And beyond all the language one uses, there is what can be called in more neutral terms an "ultimate reality". I just personal choose to call that "God", even though some may read that as that anthropomorphic deity form of one's chosen religion.

I believe I mentioned before I am speaking about "God beyond God", or what all these different symbols and deity forms of the various religions are pointing to, that Ultimate Reality, or Source, or Ground of Being out of which all reality arises and returns. That's what I mean by "God", which includes any of the many ways we imagine that to be symbolically.
We observe that people throughout history have attempted to explain the natural world through the invention of supernatural entities. Understandable, yes.

Having done that, they tried to define the unknown by reference to the known. and have tended to define these "gods" by reference to themselves and other animals. Also understandable.

The idea of admitting that they didn't know the answer to something was not a good tactic, from the point of view of survival. Those that expect and prepare for a bad outcome tend to live longer.
I understand this argument, and have always found it lacking. God is not only about explaining crap we don't understand scientifically, like why does it rain, or why are there stars in the night sky. God is a lot more than just an answer for stuff we don't know, until a better answer comes along.

No. I see it as a lot deeper than that. I see it as an existential question of being. Why do I exist. Why does anything exist at all. What am I? Why am I? Understanding the mechanics of nature, does not get to those deeper more existential questions. It has to do with the mystery of existence, and of being itself, at a level far beyond questions of curiosity like what causes rain to fall from the sky. These are questions about Ultimate Reality.

And even beyond the deeper existential questions about being itself, there is the mystical experience. These are direct, firsthand encounters with an Absolute, and Transcendent reality beyond the ordinary, which forever changes how someone sees reality, themselves, and everything. They are life transforming experiences, than have nothing to do with 'figuring stuff out' using the reasoning mind.

It is those, that is the heart of most all religions that give birth to faith and hope and beliefs in something greater than just the world of form. Those who have had such encounters, inspiring that 'faith' in others who themselves have perhaps had momentary glimpses of that underlying fabric of reality, or only just a deep sense of something 'higher' or greater than just the world of form and the systems of the world which create suffering for themselves.

Now those, are far more the impetus behind religion and beliefs in "God" than simply a prescientific world trying to do science without the right tools. That's not a really adequate way of understanding the nature of religious faith and experiences, to say the very least.
This takes us to your position, I think. But, if we can't understand god, what's the point of drawing conclusions at all?
First, I'd never draw conclusions about the nature of Ultimate Reality, or "God" if you will. The only thing I would say is that whatever you want to call that, which is beyond what we normally think of as 'reality', really exists. Experience has shown me that. Then all the rest is simply ways to try to talk about something which is wholly beyond firmly putting into descriptor terms.
Take morality as an example. Supposedly god knows everything, therefore any moral rules that are attributed to god must be the ultimate truth of the matter.
People project upon God their own values all the time. Take for instance the worship of Republican Jesus. He hates the poor, is anti-immigrant, worships money, and sees Donald Trump as his beloved servant. :) Need I say more?

That people do this with God, so what?
But if god is not understandable, why would we use its morality to guide us?
The ways in which people try to tell you what God wants, when they themselves are absolutely clueless as a human being, I think it's safe to say we shouldn't listen to them. Find what the truth is in your own heart, if you are in fact a sincere soul.
And we can expand that to cover just about everything that we are told comes from god. No?
No, we can't. "By their fruits you shall know them", not by their claims and their words. If someone has a genuine spiritual experience, it shows.

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I couldn't agree with you more.

In my opinion and based on my personal experience, praying to God is akin to praying to a brick wall and expecting the wall to answer you back.
But if you believed that brick wall had the power to transform your life, I'll bet you your prayers would be answered. :)

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Really? Can you give examples of God in theories? Can you give examples of God being of facts concerning gods?
He said, "scientific theory is only concerned with facts,". That is a false statement. Scientific Theories are models of explanation, not statements of facts. That is the first error.

The second error he said was, "there are no facts concerning gods." Whatever does that really mean? There is the fact that people have believed in them. That is a fact. There is also the fact that people have mystical experiences, which may manfiest to them as their particular deity forms. This is also documented and historical facts. Mystical expeirences actually happen. So "there are no facts concerning gods", is already a false statement right there.

So as I said, he was wrong on both accounts. Right?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

Circular reasoning is not a formal logical fallacy, but a pragmatic defect in an argument whereby the premises are just as much in need of proof or evidence as the conclusion, and as a consequence the argument fails to persuade. Other ways to express this are that there is no reason to accept the premises unless one already believes the conclusion, or that the premises provide no independent ground or evidence for the conclusion.[3] Circular reasoning is closely related to begging the question, and in modern usage the two generally refer to the same thing.[4]

Circular reasoning is often of the form: "A is true because B is true; B is true because A is true." Circularity can be difficult to detect if it involves a longer chain of propositions. wiki

- I am not trying to persuade anyone to accept my beliefs.
- I did not already believe the conclusion 'God exists' before I accepted the premise 'Baha'u'llah was a Messenger of God.'
- The premise 'Baha'u'llah is a Messenger of God' provided the evidence that supported the conclusion 'God exists.'
- I was an atheist before I believed that Baha'u'llah was a Messenger of God.

Of course, the premise needed to be proven to me before I accepted that it was true. That is a given, since the premise has to be true in order for the conclusion to be true.