• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There's a problem with the word "Atheist"

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Listen Prometheus, if the negative connotations of "athiest" bother you why not turn the tables and come up with a term that would automatically cast a negative light on anyone who doesn't hold your veiws, like;

Rationalist

or better yet--nondelusionist

I think something along those lines would distinquish you, amuse confident theists, and at the same time annoy the hell out of religious fanatics.

I just don't see a downside
icon14.gif

I'm a theist myself (but I'm also a trouble maker).

gnomon

How do you all feel about calling yourselves "brights?" http://www.the-brights.net/

No thank you. I for one do not define myself as an atheist. I consider the term only a minor description in regards to a single question. Belief in god. Beyond that, the term atheist holds no further meaning.

To be perfectly honest, I really do not understand why atheism is discussed as a belief system. It isn't. Of course, that may just be me sticking to the basic meaning of the word. I'm on the verge of considering atheism an irrelevant term.

As regards to the OP, since when must human beings be defined by what they are "for". Just because someone tells me that they are a Christian in no way defines for me what they are "for" with regards to most philosophical questions.

Prometheus

Semper Perconctor
As regards to the OP, since when must human beings be defined by what they are "for". Just because someone tells me that they are a Christian in no way defines for me what they are "for" with regards to most philosophical questions.

They are "for" Christ. ;)

I don't like having negative definitions, is all. If you call me an Atheist then it isn't true about what I am. It's only true about what I am not. There's a million other things you could call me that are true about what I'm not. Define me by what I am.

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer
No thank you. I for one do not define myself as an atheist. I consider the term only a minor description in regards to a single question. Belief in god. Beyond that, the term atheist holds no further meaning.

I agree with that. I am many things.
I don't believe in any gods, and there just happens to be a word for people like that.
I also don't drink coffee, but as far as I know, there isn't a word for people who don't drink coffee.

Yerda

Veteran Member
It seems to carry the implication that anyone that doesn't believe as they do are not bright.
Aye, it's hard to avoid feeling that although it is intended as a noun. Do you know if the word 'gay' raised the same uncomfortable feelings amongst the homosexual communities originally?

Anyway, as for other terms, I'm comfortable with sceptic because (I hope) it describes my approach. Rationalist (in the way Russell used it, not the philosophical approach as contrasted with empiricism) is another word I'm happy to have applied to myself in certain respects. I don't really define myself using either, and neither do I define myself as an atheist.

I'm a person. The word atheist is useful in the same sense gram-negative is a useful term for categorising bacteria. It applies because it separates me in tradition from theists who believes things I cannot accept. When I use it, which is very rarely in non-RF settings, I use it in situ to clarify.

Sorry that's a wee bit incoherent.

Fredx10

Why do we call ourselves Atheists? Why do we define ourselves by what we are not? If you break it down to the actual definition of the word, an Atheist is, "A person who is not a Theist." That presents a bit of a problem. Once you spell out what a Theist is, the definition of an Atheist becomes, "A person who is not a person who believes in God." When you read that sentence, it becomes apparent that saying you are what you are not is rather silly. It's like defining a male as a person who is not a person who is a female.

Not only is there a problem in calling ourselves what we are not, but there is the fact that by using this word we are actually calling attention to the idea of "God." Why are these non-existent entities that we know as "gods" worthy of this kind of publicity? I don't believe in ghosts, but if I went around calling myself an "A-ghostist" I'd be drawing attention to the consideration of these non-existent entities. It's like telling someone, "Don't think about a black cat." The person is obviously going to think of a black cat because the positive command is still in the sentence. It seems to me that by calling ourselves Atheists we actually give credence to the existence of gods.

Furthermore, I'd say most "Atheists" aren't defining themselves well enough when they use the term. You could be a Buddhist for all anyone knows. People that call themselves Atheists generally aren't Buddhists. Buddhists will call themselves Buddhists, even though the word Atheist would be a perfectly fitting. So the word carries more baggage in everyday conversation than it really should.

I'm leaning toward using the terms "Naturalist" or "Skeptic." These words give a positive definition and don't rely on being the antithesis of another concept.
I should have read your message before I wrote mine. You said it much better. But I don't want to be a skeptic or a naturalist any more than I want to be an "atheist." It smacks of being part of some philosophical grouping which is anathema to my independent thinking. I'm just Fred.

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
Why do we call ourselves Atheists?

Who is "we"? I call myself a Eudaimonist. I also call myself an atheist when the context calls for it, though I call myself a nontheist when I wish to sound less "aggressive".

I'm leaning toward using the terms "Naturalist" or "Skeptic." These words give a positive definition and don't rely on being the antithesis of another concept.

Go for it, but these words don't replace atheist. They specify new categories. There are non-naturalistic and non-skeptical atheists. If this doesn't bother you, then find whatever new category you are comfortable with.

eudaimonia,

Mark