• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things are going the right way :D

Nimos

So just read that Russia wants to add military training to the curriculum in their schools, what a good idea. I know that Poland has done the same.

If there is anything the world needs at the moment, it is to teach children the important value of military training. You never know when you are going to need the skill of being able to fire an assault rifle :D

The chances of this world ever getting any better seems to get worse day by day, people (world's leaders) are more interested in killing and exploiting each other than solving problems. The chance of ever dealing with the climate issue is a joke at this point.

Russia reintroduce 'basic military training' to teach pupils how to use assault rifles
Russia is reportedly reintroducing “basic military training” to the school curriculum from next year teaching young children how to assemble automatic rifles in a return to “Soviet-era school classes”. Boys and girls in Russian schools will be taught how to “get to grips with assault rifles”, according to a Russian newspaper, in a move that has divided opinions among locals. Reading out an extract from the paper, BBC Russia correspondent Steve Rosenberg reported that one Russian mother supported the move because it was important to be “prepared for the reality of today”, while another Muscovite said there was “no place” for military drills in schools and that they should be a place of “peace and happiness”.

Russia set to teach schoolchildren how to assemble assault weapons

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I keep hearing about the rich Russian culture.
(And Putin says Ukraine has no culture.)
What I see of this Russian "culture" is disgusting,
eg, longing for return to Soviet greatness & empire,
invasion, death, corruption, alcoholism, blind patriotism.

exchemist

Veteran Member
So just read that Russia wants to add military training to the curriculum in their schools, what a good idea. I know that Poland has done the same.

If there is anything the world needs at the moment, it is to teach children the important value of military training. You never know when you are going to need the skill of being able to fire an assault rifle :D

The chances of this world ever getting any better seems to get worse day by day, people (world's leaders) are more interested in killing and exploiting each other than solving problems. The chance of ever dealing with the climate issue is a joke at this point.

Russia reintroduce 'basic military training' to teach pupils how to use assault rifles
Russia is reportedly reintroducing “basic military training” to the school curriculum from next year teaching young children how to assemble automatic rifles in a return to “Soviet-era school classes”. Boys and girls in Russian schools will be taught how to “get to grips with assault rifles”, according to a Russian newspaper, in a move that has divided opinions among locals. Reading out an extract from the paper, BBC Russia correspondent Steve Rosenberg reported that one Russian mother supported the move because it was important to be “prepared for the reality of today”, while another Muscovite said there was “no place” for military drills in schools and that they should be a place of “peace and happiness”.

This is just another stunt by Putin, to instil in the Russian population fear of attack from the evil democracies in the West and thereby try to bolster nationalistic feelings of support for his failing invasion, now that the conscript deaths are mounting. He'll be handing out gas masks and radiation pills next. :D

All part of his domestic narrative of Mother Russia being under existential threat. Hysterical lies of course, but some poor saps will believe it.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
What I see of this Russian "culture" is disgusting,

They send their poorly trained, poorly equipped young men to die in droves. They abandon their dead to fertilize Ukraine fields. When their soldiers aren't raping civilians they rape each other. Their regime is corrupt and repressive; those who cross them tend to fall out of windows or down a fight of stairs. They persecute LGBT. Countless war crimes, Human rights violations, etc.

And yet some in the west still find them admirable.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
So teaching children about gender issues is "grooming," but teaching them how to use deadly weapons or about military doctrine is okay.

It's always important to listen to people when they reveal exactly what their values are.
It's only "grooming" when children learn about things they don't like.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
They send their poorly trained, poorly equipped young men to die in droves. They abandon their dead to fertilize Ukraine fields. When their soldiers aren't raping civilians they rape each other. Their regime is corrupt and repressive; those who cross them tend to fall out of windows or down a fight of stairs. They persecute LGBT. Countless war crimes, Human rights violations, etc.

Trump praises Putin for his move into Ukraine, calling it 'genius'
Prominent Christian Leaders, Groups Face Reckoning Over Praise of Putin
Putin invaded to put 'decent people' in Kyiv, says Italy's Berlusconi

**** Putin.
**** Russia.
Let Russian soldiers *** in droves.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

I think people should also note that the above are symptoms of Putin's regime and don't necessarily reflect on the whole Russian population, which, like any other, includes good and bad people.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We've been over this before. I absolutely don't believe that "election" numbers announced under an oppressive regime like Russia's can be taken as accurately reflecting the will of the people.
It's still a pretty overwhelming majority,
even with coercion.
To find their culture disgusting doesn't
mean that every person is.

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

We did this when I was a kid - with catapults and peashooters - but on a very informal basis. :oops:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
It's still a pretty overwhelming majority,
even with coercion.

Those are most likely fake numbers. In many such dictatorships, "high numbers" of votes are announced by the state even when a lot of people don't vote.

These nuances are unfamiliar to a lot of people living in relatively free democracies, but it's important to be aware of them before painting a population with a broad brush based on the actions of an unelected tyrant.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Those are most likely fake numbers. In many such dictatorships, "high numbers" of votes are announced by the state even when a lot of people don't vote.

These nuances are unfamiliar to a lot of people living in relatively free democracies, but it's important to be aware of them before painting a population with a broad brush based on the actions of an unelected tyrant.
OK.
I still find Russian culture disgusting.
Exceptions of some duly noted.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
OK.
I still find Russian culture disgusting.
Exceptions of some duly noted.

I would find it disgusting too if I believed it was mostly or entirely limited to the actions of Putin's regime, but just like China, I believe the country itself has a rich, long history that extends far beyond the tyrants currently in charge of Russia.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I would find it disgusting too if I believed it was mostly or entirely limited to the actions of Putin's regime, but just like China, I believe the country itself has a rich, long history that extends far beyond the tyrants currently in charge of Russia.
Rich long histories can become lost to the modern world.
Countries are what they are.

Nimos

This is just another stunt by Putin, to instil in the Russian population fear of attack from the evil democracies in the West and thereby try to bolster nationalistic feelings of support for his failing invasion, now that the conscript deaths are mounting. He'll be handing out gas masks and radiation pills next. :D

All part of his domestic narrative of Mother Russia being under existential threat. Hysterical lies of course, but some poor saps will believe it.
I think it's more about the mentality that one instills in a nation. Hitlerjugend was also just some kids running around playing soldiers and scouts, nothing wrong with that. :) Sure it will not have any impact on Ukraine as such, but over the long run, as this becomes the norm, the training might expand maybe they are taught other "important" things.

People and whole nations are fairly easily brainwashed/forced into submission we have seen countless of examples of that.