• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things I Learned on RF Today

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I learnt I don't know what SSM means and a google search gives so many different acronyms it isn't helpful.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
I love any bird, any animal realy, even the viper that just missed me a couple of years ago.

Yes crows are cool but they can be vicious. Ever hear murder of crows ripped apart another bird? Sounds horrendous
We get an occasional crow in the garden. At once beautiful and scary. When one lands the birds already there go "Yep well I think I'll be off then..."

Secret Chief

Degrow!
There are plenty here, they have places just outside the village. Very intelligent bird, they use tools. I reckon they are ot far from their version of their stone age
I saw a short video on fb the other day....

There was a glass bottle with some water in it. By it was a crow that wanted to drink the water, but the level of it was too low for the crow to be able to reach down to it. So what did the crow do? Some pebbles were to the side of the bottle...

The crow picked up a pebble and dropped it in the bottle. Then another and another, raising the water level up so it could then have a drink. This of course lowered the level again. So more pebbles....

Corvids are the future :oops:

"Corvids display remarkable intelligence for animals of their size, and are among the most intelligent birds thus far studied. Specifically, members of the family have demonstrated self-awareness in mirror tests (Eurasian magpies) and tool-making ability (e.g. crows and rooks), skills which until recently were thought to be possessed only by humans and a few other higher mammals. Their total brain-to-body mass ratio is equal to that of non-human great apes and cetaceans, and only slightly lower than that of humans."

- Corvidae - Wikipedia

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

There was a glass bottle with some water in it. By it was a crow that wanted to drink the water, but the level of it was too low for the crow to be able to reach down to it. So what did the crow do? Some pebbles were to the side of the bottle...

The crow picked up a pebble and dropped it in the bottle. Then another and another, raising the water level up so it could then have a drink. This of course lowered the level again. So more pebbles....

"Corvids display remarkable intelligence for animals of their size, and are among the most intelligent birds thus far studied. Specifically, members of the family have demonstrated self-awareness in mirror tests (Eurasian magpies) and tool-making ability (e.g. crows and rooks), skills which until recently were thought to be possessed only by humans and a few other higher mammals. Their total brain-to-body mass ratio is equal to that of non-human great apes and cetaceans, and only slightly lower than that of humans."

- Corvidae - Wikipedia

I think I've seen that vid, it won't have been on fb thought, i only use it to keep in touch with family and friends with messenger. Maybe an old BBC Horizon.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Squirrels are so funny. I got to watch one close up on my front porch this morning. I doubt they are as smart as crows.

Also, I learned on RF this morning that I would rather read a good book than hang out on RF. But I'm taking a break.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Squirrels are so funny. I got to watch one close up on my front porch this morning. I doubt they are as smart as crows.

Also, I learned on RF this morning that I would rather read a good book than hang out on RF. But I'm taking a break.

Squirrels are pretty good problem solvers so that implies smarts. Not on the same level as crows of course.
And thinking about it, gold fish can solve mazes with a brain the size of a grain of rice so maybe problem solving is easy.
Its use of tools and self awareness that makes crows superior

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

squirrels make up for immediate intelligence by being persistent and trying things until they figure it out...

Secret Chief

Degrow!
Squirrels are pretty good problem solvers so that implies smarts. Not on the same level as crows of course.
And thinking about it, gold fish can solve mazes with a brain the size of a grain of rice so maybe problem solving is easy.
Its use of tools and self awareness that makes crows superior
Not a single crow voted for Bonzo.

ChristineM

Premium Member
How to get rich quick.

someone-orperhaps-they-just-got-big-pile-laying-868-kb-jpg-somewhere-should-keep-on-doing-this.jpeg

Stonetree

Abducted Member
Premium Member

- Corvidae - Wikipedia
Now, Secret Chief continuously carries pebbles everywhere he goes..