• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thinking About Super-Hero Movies....

Ralph C.

This is the....end.
I went to see the movie yesterday with two of my friends. I thought it was okay, even pretty good in some places. The movie seemed to move fast in places, going from one scene to another at a pretty quick pace, then staying with something longer when it seemed necessary. Ledger's Joker was good, I thought. Oldman's Gordon was good. The make-up job for Eckhart's Two-Face was good, and I thought he was pretty good in the role. I hated Bale's Batman voice-- it seemed even worse than in "Batman Begins"-- and there was a couple of times in the movie that I really need subtitles to understand what he was saying. Freeman's Fox was pretty good, too. Of course, the movie had all of it's explosions and fight scenes and such. It was the big-budget super-hero fare we've all come to expect from Hollywood.

This is really the problem.

My friend was outraged at how bad the film was. He made some points that I could see but one thing he said made me think-- the Batman on the screen wasn't a good Batman. Where were Batman's detective skills, for example? I said something of this nature to him when we were talking about the film afterwards:

The problem was Hollywood.

These films are getting too big, they always have to get bigger and bigger. Larger budgets, larger agendas, the erosion of a character's traits and centers so you can fit more glitz and glamor and explosions and big Hollywood-ish moments and shallow emotions into the films, all in the effort to get as many people to watch it as possible. If you want to make a super-hero movie that doesn't make it possible for younger kids to watch that can be accepted, I suppose. But what I should be outraged about, and I'm not (but slowly getting myself there) is Hollywood. I won't watch Titanic or Pearl Harbor or Independence Day or many of these big-budget Hollywood films because they are shallow-- shallow in story, shallow in emotions-- and have the need to thrill and widen people's eyes, elicit "oooh"s and "ahhh"s, to devastate them with the impressiveness of their huge budgets. I don't usually put up with this in many other genres, but I do in this particular genre.

The problem is I'm still a kid at heart, and that part of me thrills to super-heroes.

I've read comics off and on for years. The kind of super-hero stories I've liked are mostly not the kinds of super-hero stories that you find in these movies ("Spider-Man" and "Spider-Man 2" are two exceptions I can think of, though they lacked something for me, too, but not as much as some other super-hero films). I like a smaller story that's richer in a character's nuances-- Batman's detective skills and intelligent, tactical mind, and his Bruce Wayne persona (Bruce is the costume he wears-- Batman is his secret identity); Spider-Man/Peter Parker's scientific smarts and his intelligence, many times clouded out by his guilt and emotions.... I think what happens with these big films is that the subtleties that made it good on the page have to be lost in the adaptation to the screen because there just isn't enough time for it, and the lack of certain things allows the writers/directors to do things in the film for the sake of the plot. If you leave out certain elements of Bruce's character then you can make him a quitter, a person who can give up so easily, as he did in "The Dark Knight". There's a shorthand in big-budget movie making that is necessary so you can include all the explosions, car chases, human chases and other special effects that are the real things people come out to watch on the screen. "Iron Man" did less of this, perhaps because Marvel Studios, ran by Marvel, themselves, had a hand in the development of that movie. Then they made "The Incredible Hulk", which was more like Hollywood-type film-making.

I guess what I am trying to say, and what was one of the things, if not the central thing, bothering my friend, that really should bother me more, too, is Hollywood. The catering of a story to Hollywood and to all of those people who are caught up in the bigness of the big-budget films. Watching the trailer of "Watchmen", I think we are in for more of that.

It is not easy to adapt works from print to screen. There are always elements that are going to be left out because you just can't fit all of a story or a series of stories, or an arc of stories, onto the screen. I am re-thinking my attendance to some of these super-hero films now. I don't go to many movies, anyway, because of what they will most likely lack, for me. Though the kid in me loves super-heroes and their adventures, I wouldn't be surprised if I find that my attendance at those types of films will be limited in the future, and more focus made on the smaller and lower-budgeted animation productions, which are allowed to include more subtleties in their works, or keep focusing on the print works, themselves, to see if I can find what I want.

To me, the best Batman film in the last twenty years has been "Mask Of The Phantasm". They had everything in that film: Action and adventure, subtle character developments, humor, good acting, good plot and story, the essence of the characters intact (which was a general adaptation of the "Batman: Year 2" storyline from DC back in the mid-1980s). The movie was animated-- and it did all this in under 80 minutes.

Why can't Hollywood super-hero movies do that?

Troublemane

Chris Nolan was a low-budget, indy film director who directed a total of 3 films before getting hired to do Batman Begins. He was given the job in the hopes of breathing new life into the franchise, since 1997's "Batman & Robin" was a total flop.

They sold the studios on the image of making Batman darker, edgier, more intense and with more nifty gadgets, like 007 if he were a ninja.:D

What I read online, is Nolan's take on the Dark Knight has been inspired from movies like "Heat", where he tried to capture the mood of the entire city, so the story doesnt focus on one character for long, it floats around. Whereas the first film was more about Bruce Wayne, the second was about Gotham. I suppose the idea is once Batman has been established as a character you move on, flesh out everyone around him.

Some think he succeeded, some maybe not so much. But hey, thats entertainment. Just remember "Hollywood" isnt about making good films, its about making money. If they somehow manage to make a good movie on the way to making a buck, so much the better---ask Stephen Spielberg! :D

because these days its all about the money instaed of the films

(bit oftopic was in the filipines 2 days ago and saw a car drive by with batman as licence plate )

Kcnorwood

I think your being too hard on the movie it is after all just a movie. Second, it is the last two Batman movies have been closer to the comics then anyone before it. Batman fought some violent villains hence all the blowing up & fighting. What is a superhero to fight if not villains? Has far as the detective skills go did you & your friend not see how he found that the money was marked? Nolan took us back to the beginning of Wayne being Batman is he is still learning things, perhaps his voice is part of that. On the other hand, perhaps it is because Batman & Wayne are two different people. Your wrong on Batman’s ID Wayne is his secret ID not the other way around.

I think as a whole people read excessively much into a movie I think that are sad because they miss all the fun. Perhaps it is good that you do not watch many movies because you cannot seem to let yourself enjoy them.

Just my thoughts. :slap:

cardero

Citizen Mod
knorwood writes: I think as a whole people read excessively much into a movie I think that are sad because they miss all the fun.

I think this concept of fun might be projective. Consider if you will the first weekend of The Dark Knight's release. The theater is full. Some fanboys, some avid movie goers, some who may not be movie goers who just wanted somewhere to go on the weekend. The lights darken, the film is rolling, people are laughing, people are "oohing" and "ahhhing". At the end almost everyone is standing up and applauding this movie..but does that mean that the movie was good or fun? Word of mouth circulates and people are describing how they laughed and how they cried and how they jumped out of their seats and they tell their friends that this is a "must-see" movie. Visit this theater again in two weeks and watch the same movie and one will see that the theater is not crowded, there may be 14 people and the emotions and exclamations aren't as evident or in abundance as the opening weekend. This person could go back to his friend and accuse him of being crazy or that he went to see it and didn't think it was that good at all. These are the impressions that I am getting with The Dark Knight. I think a lot of the fun could be accredited to hype and this infectious scenerio is sadder to me than trying to distinguish whether someone has the capacity to experience fun or to be able to determine whether they genuinely enjoyed a film or not..

Last edited:

Kcnorwood

I think this concept of fun might be projective. Consider if you will the first weekend of The Dark Knight's release. The theater is full. Some fanboys, some avid movie goers, some who may not be movie goers who just wanted somewhere to go on the weekend. The lights darken, the film is rolling, people are laughing, people are "oohing" and "ahhhing". At the end almost everyone is standing up and applauding this movie..but does that mean that the movie was good or fun? Word of mouth circulates and people are describing how they laughed and how they cried and how they jumped out of their seats and they tell their friends that this is a "must-see" movie. Visit this theater again in two weeks and watch the same movie and one will see that the theater is not crowded, there may be 14 people and the emotions and exclamations aren't as evident or in abundance as the opening weekend. This person could go back to his friend and accuse him of being crazy or that he went to see it and didn't think it was that good at all. These are the impressions that I am getting with The Dark Knight. I think a lot of the fun could be accredited to hype and this infectious scenerio is sadder to me than trying to distinguish whether someone has the capacity to experience fun or to be able to determine whether they genuinely enjoyed a film or not..

Perhaps but I saw this opening night & then again two days ago with only 30 some people in with me.. I still loved it & thought it was ever good was when I saw it the first time.

Ralph C.

This is the....end.
I think your being too hard on the movie it is after all just a movie. Second, it is the last two Batman movies have been closer to the comics then anyone before it. Batman fought some violent villains hence all the blowing up & fighting. What is a superhero to fight if not villains? Has far as the detective skills go did you & your friend not see how he found that the money was marked? Nolan took us back to the beginning of Wayne being Batman is he is still learning things, perhaps his voice is part of that. On the other hand, perhaps it is because Batman & Wayne are two different people. Your wrong on Batman’s ID Wayne is his secret ID not the other way around.

I think as a whole people read excessively much into a movie I think that are sad because they miss all the fun. Perhaps it is good that you do not watch many movies because you cannot seem to let yourself enjoy them.

Just my thoughts. :slap:

I respect your thoughts. And I appreciate your point of view. I disagree with it almost completely but I am glad you read the post and offered your thoughts. Thank you.

One could say, if his words were in a certain neighborhood, that you weren't hard enough on the movie, and that your passiveness is part of the disease that breeds the sickness of the modern-day big-budget film. I am not walking the streets of that neighborhood in this post, however.

Yes, these Batman films have been better than the preceding ones (if one wants to exclude any animated features and the 1966 "Batman" film, which is in a class by itself), especially "Batman & Robin", which should be put into the Film Decomposing Society forthwith! We could've used it as a method of torture but this has not been allowed due to a codicil in the articles of the Geneva Convention. However, "The Dark Knight" has less of the essence of the Batman character. When I say Batman is the secret identity, what I mean is that Bruce Wayne, the gadabout, care-free playboy bachelor, he with ample femaleage on each arm, is the costume that he wears. Batman, the dark avenger, is his real self. This recent film didn't personify that part of his essence, in my opinion. His detective skills were on brief display. And if that voice is, as you say, part of his training, then he hasn't been keeping up the practice on that skill because the Batman voice was worse than that in "Batman Begins". Bruce better focus on that before "Dark Next Knight", "Batman Continues", or whatever they will call the next film.

As for reading into films, many of the films that seem to come out today cannot be read into that deeply. They are merely pamphlets of entertainment, in my opinion.

Again, thank you for reading my opinion. I appreciate your time. And, by the way, what something seems like, and what something actually is, can be completely different. When one assumes, it can make an.... well, I think we all know the rest of that classic little ditty.

Thank you, won't you?

Watchmen

Premium Member
I thought Dark Knight transcended the "super hero" movie and was something more. In many ways it was an allegory of chaos and calculation rather than a story with character development.

Kcnorwood

Actually, I thought there was a better balance between Wayne/Batman then I have seen in other movies. Hollywood is always going to cater to what the majority wants & the majority I believe won out with what Nolan has done. Those who have read the Batman comics are thrilled with these last two films. Keaton was a better actor then Bale but Bale was more of what the comic called for. Keaton never showed who Wayne was we only saw Batman even when he was Wayne. There has to be some kind of balance between what the people who read Batman wants & what the public wants. If you try to follow ANY comic book down to perfection, no one would watch it but the comic book readers themselves. To keep these movies going that have to appeal to everyone. Someone complained because of the romantic story line in X-Men. Later on I heard someone tell me how sexist it was because the women (Jean Grey) had to die & Wolverine (the man) got to live. More then likely either of these two never read the comics. One thing to remember in these movies is they are for fun & Batman was fun in every way.

I think if people want to go see something thought provoking then they should see something other then these types of movies.

Watchmen

Premium Member
I think if people want to go see something thought provoking then they should see something other then these types of movies.

And that's where I disagree - especially with Dark Knight. I believe these movies can and, indeed, are thought provoking.

Kcnorwood

And that's where I disagree - especially with Dark Knight. I believe these movies can and, indeed, are thought provoking.

Yes they can but I got the impression that he doesn't think so, I might be wrong but that what I understood.

Last edited:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
My friend was outraged at how bad the film was. He made some points that I could see but one thing he said made me think-- the Batman on the screen wasn't a good Batman. Where were Batman's detective skills, for example? I said something of this nature to him when we were talking about the film afterwards:

The problem was Hollywood.

These films are getting too big, they always have to get bigger and bigger. Larger budgets, larger agendas, the erosion of a character's traits and centers so you can fit more glitz and glamor and explosions and big Hollywood-ish moments and shallow emotions into the films, all in the effort to get as many people to watch it as possible. If you want to make a super-hero movie that doesn't make it possible for younger kids to watch that can be accepted, I suppose. But what I should be outraged about, and I'm not (but slowly getting myself there) is Hollywood. I won't watch Titanic or Pearl Harbor or Independence Day or many of these big-budget Hollywood films because they are shallow-- shallow in story, shallow in emotions-- and have the need to thrill and widen people's eyes, elicit "oooh"s and "ahhh"s, to devastate them with the impressiveness of their huge budgets. I don't usually put up with this in many other genres, but I do in this particular genre.

I guess what I am trying to say, and what was one of the things, if not the central thing, bothering my friend, that really should bother me more, too, is Hollywood. The catering of a story to Hollywood and to all of those people who are caught up in the bigness of the big-budget films. Watching the trailer of "Watchmen", I think we are in for more of that.

It is not easy to adapt works from print to screen. There are always elements that are going to be left out because you just can't fit all of a story or a series of stories, or an arc of stories, onto the screen. I am re-thinking my attendance to some of these super-hero films now. I don't go to many movies, anyway, because of what they will most likely lack, for me. Though the kid in me loves super-heroes and their adventures, I wouldn't be surprised if I find that my attendance at those types of films will be limited in the future, and more focus made on the smaller and lower-budgeted animation productions, which are allowed to include more subtleties in their works, or keep focusing on the print works, themselves, to see if I can find what I want.

First off, I work at a comic book distributor. I work with a bunch of people who are lifelong comic book fans, and most know Batman like the back of their hands. Every person I've talked to at work loved the movie, and most feel like they would rather them not make another Batman movie, as this one was pretty much perfect. (Obviously they're going to make another, but that's not the point.)

Now, with that said, I understand your point about his detective skills. After all, his first appearance was in "Detective Comics", right? I think part of it is a tribute to the Joker. They really gave the Joker a lot of respect here, as he deserves as Batman's arch-nemesis. I think he messed with things so much that he had Batman on the ropes. Batman did show his detective skills, though, with certain things like the "sonar" as an example. The main thing is that this movie wasn't just about Batman. It was about the Joker and their relationship, along with what that had to say about chaos and order and perceptions.

I have to say I'm shocked that this is the movie you would accuse of being too "Hollywood". Out of all of the superhero movies I've seen, this is probably the least "Hollywood" of them all. It is so dark with so many subtleties. It treats the characters the way they should be. Joker is a bad***, Gordon is Gordon, and Batman is riddled with guilt. The characterization of Harvey Dent is one of the best I've seen in a movie of this type. As has been said, the director is extremely "un-Hollywood". In the past, many of these movies have been ruined by being too "Hollywood", after all, that's how the first Batman series was ruined, but this has been less the case lately and this movie is, to me, as "un-Hollywood" as you can get.

And as far as "Watchmen" goes, I have been very leary of how it will turn out. However, the trailer for it gives me a lot of hope for it. I can't imagine a better trailer for it. All of the characters looked exactly right, and not only that, but it seemed to capture the essence and atmosphere of the comic. Obviously, we'll have to wait until it comes out to say for sure, but so far, it's another one that I would put in the "un-Hollywood" category.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I won't watch Titanic or Pearl Harbor or Independence Day or many of these big-budget Hollywood films because they are shallow-- shallow in story, shallow in emotions-- and have the need to thrill and widen people's eyes, elicit "oooh"s and "ahhh"s, to devastate them with the impressiveness of their huge budgets. I don't usually put up with this in many other genres, but I do in this particular genre.

I meant to respond directly to this part before. I'm not sure how you put Titanic in that category. Yes, it was huge and expensive. It had quite a bit of special effects and such. That's not what made the movie, though. You don't seem to know much about the movie, if you put it in the same category as Pearl Harbor and Independence Day. What made Titanic the blockbuster it was, and loved by so many people was the story and characters. The effects were impressive but not a focal point. This movie is anything but shallow in story and emotions. That's why the other two you mentioned failed where Titanic thrived.

Ralph C.

This is the....end.
My favorite Batman is Kevin Conroy. No better Batman there has ever been, in my opinion. Adam West is in his own world-- man, that 1960s Batman show and movie were fun and funny!

cardero

Citizen Mod
Mball writes: I meant to respond directly to this part before. I'm not sure how you put Titanic in that category. Yes, it was huge and expensive.
I think it is because The Dark Knight is currently being compared to the movies Titanic and Spiderman 3 in terms of box office draw and recuperating costs. I think huge and expensive is part of the Hollywood death touch. In Jake Rossen’s book Superman vs. Hollywood it is interesting to notice the salaries of actor’s Gene Hackman and Marlon Brando compared to the main actor Christopher Reeve’s salary. Even writer Mario Puzo who’s script wasn’t really referred to and suffered costly rewrites from the studio was quite expensive. I cringe everytime I am informed of the money that is spent on costumes and special effects. I would appreciate style and a good story over a huge and expensive blockbuster. I would appreciate a hungry unknown who embodies the character over the money spent on a well known actor. For as in the case with both Superman’s (Superman 1978 and Superman Returns 2006) we may not have recognized the actor but we certainly know who Superman is.

I apologize for referring to these two videos again but these are two film shorts that seem to prove that one doesn’t have to spend a lot of money to capture the essence of super hero characters. It is a shame that Hollywood could not learn more from these independent fan films because if money is indeed the name of the game in this industry, they stand to recuperate more gains by following theses example.

YouTube - GRAYSON

YouTube - BATMAN VS. PREDATOR

(to be continued)

Last edited:

cardero

Citizen Mod
When in Doubt…Adapt

I never could understand why Hollywood would employ someone who wasn’t a fan of comics to pen screenplays for superhero movies. There is a rich history and a never ending source of comic material that could easily be adapted for motion pictures complete with story boards. This could please the fans in seeing their favorite story arc brought to life and it could be a great stepping stone for the uninitiated.
Another thing I disagree with is the way that Hollywood formulates their script. In an interview with Kevin Smith (who was charged at one time to write a screenplay for the 2006 Superman movie) stated that Hollywood had a template in which there had to be an action sequence every 20 minutes or so followed by exposition to keep theater goers interested. Needless to say that Kevin Smith did not suscribe to this type of screenplay formula but it seems evident that Hollywood has not dropped this policy. Personally I feel the idea of a template to be forced and constricting.

Kcnorwood

I think it is because The Dark Knight is currently being compared to the movies Titanic and Spiderman 3 in terms of box office draw and recuperating costs. I think huge and expensive is part of the Hollywood death touch. In Jake Rossen’s book Superman vs. Hollywood it is interesting to notice the salaries of actor’s Gene Hackman and Marlon Brando compared to the main actor Christopher Reeve’s salary. Even writer Mario Puzo who’s script wasn’t really referred to and suffered costly rewrites from the studio was quite expensive. I cringe everytime I am informed of the money that is spent on costumes and special effects. I would appreciate style and a good story over a huge and expensive blockbuster. I would appreciate a hungry unknown who embodies the character over the money spent on a well known actor. For as in the case with both Superman’s (Superman 1978 and Superman Returns 2006) we may not have recognized the actor but we certainly know who Superman is.

I apologize for referring to these two videos again but these are two film shorts that seem to prove that one doesn’t have to spend a lot of money to capture the essence of super hero characters. It is a shame that Hollywood could not learn more from these independent fan films because if money is indeed the name of the game in this industry, they stand to recuperate more gains by following theses example.

YouTube - GRAYSON

YouTube - BATMAN VS. PREDATOR

(to be continued)

I'd like to add something to your post. As a huge fan of some Comics you never want to see someone who can't act play the hero. Same can be said for the villian/s. Yeah in some very rare cases you might be able to get away with it but not always. It's always going to take money to make these types of movies people want to see things exploding great fight scenes, Etc. Whats the point in making these movies if those things are not in it? Yes there as to be a good story line & it should be deep enough so that you learn to care about whats going on.

You can't always have it both ways where these movies are involved. Your going to ahve to give some & take some of what Hollywood has to give. Either that or stop seeing Hero/ Action movies all together.

cardero

Citizen Mod
I'd like to add something to your post. As a huge fan of some Comics you never want to see someone who can't act play the hero. Same can be said for the villian/s. Yeah in some very rare cases you might be able to get away with it but not always. It's always going to take money to make these types of movies people want to see things exploding great fight scenes, Etc. Whats the point in making these movies if those things are not in it? Yes there as to be a good story line & it should be deep enough so that you learn to care about whats going on.

You can't always have it both ways where these movies are involved. Your going to ahve to give some & take some of what Hollywood has to give. Either that or stop seeing Hero/ Action movies all together.
And I will have to agree that some movies do need the money. The computer FX graphics in Spiderman are necessary and I would be naive to think that the cost to produce these effects will become cheaper in the future but the point that I am trying to make is that I would like to see the majority of this money up on the screen. Not spending it gratuitously, but for the effort of telling or furthering the story.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I think it is because The Dark Knight is currently being compared to the movies Titanic and Spiderman 3 in terms of box office draw and recuperating costs. I think huge and expensive is part of the Hollywood death touch.

No, I meant putting it in the category with Pearl Harbor and Independence Day, as movies with shallow emotions and shallow stories. I wouldn't put Dark Knight in that category either, but that wasn't in the comparison here. I just meant that Titanic is anything but shallow on emotions and story. I think he's just confused because it's so huge and expensive. Not all big-budget, grand movies are shallow, and Titanic is the perfect example of that.

Harmony

I come in peace
I am a comic book/animated fan and I did go to see Dark Knight. I wasn't really impressed with Bale's imitation of Batman. He did ok as Wayne, but the voice as Batman, I thought he was going to start either coughing or gagging in his own words. I tried doing the harsh voice, I started getting a tickle in my throat. I agree with Ralph C about Kevin Conroy. Now there's a Wayne/Batman voice. If he only had the looks. :sad: