• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thought's on Ben Stein's "Expelled"?

gnomon

I'm fairly certain that his point in the movie was not to discredit evolution, but to show that there is academic bias against ID proponents.

That was his main claim. In my opinion he failed on that.

If the film had left it at that it would have been no more than a credibility issue of the stories of those very few professors. Which, once again in my opinion and the opinion of the universities who employed those professors, Stein's point was incorrect. The stories the professors presented were wrong for the most part and wrong on the key parts.

Where the film gets a real bashing from, deservedly so, is it's tangent into Darwinism and evolutionary theory equals Nazism. Who knew it was possible for a documentary to Godwin itself.

It's that tangent that shows Stein trying to directly attack the scientists who support the model of evolutionary theory and the theory itself.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life

If the film had left it at that it would have been no more than a credibility issue of the stories of those very few professors. Which, once again in my opinion and the opinion of the universities who employed those professors, Stein's point was incorrect. The stories the professors presented were wrong for the most part and wrong on the key parts.

Where the film gets a real bashing from, deservedly so, is it's tangent into Darwinism and evolutionary theory equals Nazism. Who knew it was possible for a documentary to Godwin itself.

It's that tangent that shows Stein trying to directly attack the scientists who support the model of evolutionary theory and the theory itself.

In that respect I would also say that the movie was incorrect. It was certainly amusing though.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I just watched this documentary and I thought it was absolutely ridiculous. It was acctually quite hard for me to watch it in it's entirety. Especially when it seemed as if he was trying to make a connection with so called "Darwinist" ( I'm guessing he's using this term to refer to people who accept the ToE ) to Nazis and communists. Has anyone else watched this documentary and if so what are your thoughts?

Check out Expelledexposed.com. It explains all of the inaccuracies in the documentary. I enjoyed that more than watching the movie. I didn't actually watch the whole Expelled, but I watched about half of it when it was up on Youtube.

I completely agree with you. I was so shocked that they tried to make a tie with Darwinism and Nazism. Since I have watched this film, I will never look at Ben Stein the same. He seems to be an absolute idiot to me now.

I

nonbeliever_92

My favorite part about the movie was near the beginning when he said something akin to "This movie isn't about religion" and then like within the next twenty minutes he starts talking explicitedly about religion and the "link" between evolution and Nazism.

I watched this movie right before I watched Bill Maher's "Religulous."

imaginaryme

I had avoided watching this for some time as I didn't want to be infuriated, but I finally broke down last week and watched it after having a couple of drinks.
The morally upright way to deal with IDiots - alcohol. My way? Kill 'em all, and let the intelligent design. :D

I couldn't even watch it. My exposure to ID began and ended with Dumbski and his dumb math way back in the day. Nothing new evolves from straight crap. :p

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hitler made his opposition to evolution quite clear in Mein Kampf. How, then, does the Right turn Nazism on its head and attribute to it doctrines entirely opposite its views?

MSizer

MSizer
I really have no respect for Ben Stein. I don't feel comfortable saying that, because I used to consider him an intellectual. Now I consider him dishonest. I wouldn't care except for the one very critical point that he is falsely influencing people who share the voting power. Scientific illiteracy results in political policies that don't help the problem of human suffering. Ben Stein should be ashamed. I have no respect for him, and that's his own fault.

imaginaryme

Hitler made his opposition to evolution quite clear in Mein Kampf. How, then, does the Right turn Nazism on its head and attribute to it doctrines entirely opposite its views?
Hitler is the favored bogeyman of the proponents of "right," whatever that "right" may be.