• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Titanic

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I still believe a miracle will happen and they will find and rescue those people, lost somewhere in the depths of the Atlantic.

The story of the Titanic always fascinates people...it is undeniable.
But it's a tragedy. It's a story you can't really understand, unless you read it with your heart, not with your head.
And I believe that's what the 1997 movie wanted to convey: explorers and treasure hunters have always been interested in that wreck as something historically precious and valuable, often forgetting what has been for both Europeans and Americans. A tragedy, so many people died because the ship was sailing too fast and couldn't avoid hitting the iceberg, and because there weren't enough lifeboats, despite the available space on the huge ship.

What does the Titanic tragedy mean to you?

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Unfortunately the great majority of passengers died like this.
It's heartbreaking to think of that.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I still believe a miracle will happen and they will find and rescue those people, lost somewhere in the depths of the Atlantic.

It's looking pretty grim at this point. They're at the end of their oxygen supply right about now, assuming the vessel is still intact. Even if they find it, it's a longshot to actually rescue them, since it's too deep for human divers or any kind of rescue vessel. (Search for the missing Titanic submersible nears the critical 96-hour mark for oxygen supply)

The story of the Titanic always fascinates people...it is undeniable.
But it's a tragedy. It's a story you can't really understand, unless you read it with your heart, not with your head.
And I believe that's what the 1997 movie wanted to convey: explorers and treasure hunters have always been interested in that wreck as something historically precious and valuable, often forgetting what has been for both Europeans and Americans. A tragedy, so many people died because the ship was sailing too fast and couldn't avoid hitting the iceberg, and because there weren't enough lifeboats, despite the available space on the huge ship.

What does the Titanic tragedy mean to you?

Drowning seems a horrible way to die. Lots of ships have sunk over the course of history, so the Titanic isn't very special when compared to all of the other ships and subs that sank. I think it fascinates people because of the belief that the Titanic was a new type of "unsinkable" ship, though the fact that it did sink points up the arrogance of humans. This quote from the article illustrates the point:

Retired Navy Vice Admiral Robert Murrett, who is now deputy director of the Institute for Security Policy and Law at Syracuse University, said the disappearance underscores the dangers associated with operating in deep water and the recreational exploration of the sea and space.

“I think some people believe that because modern technology is so good, that you can do things like this and not have accidents, but that’s just not the case,” he said.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Unfortunately the great majority of passengers died like this.
It's heartbreaking to think of that.

After reading this description from a Quora user (When a submarine exceeds its crush depth and the crew is killed, are they squished flat? Do they die instantaneously due to the pressure?...), I'm not sure I'd ever want to go into a submarine. Since the Titanic disaster, ships are now required to have enough lifeboats available for everyone on board. But that's not possible with submarines.

When a submarine implodes, a variety of fairly ugly things will happen to the crew. If we assume that a pressure hull implodes at 2000 feet (~60 atmospheres), the pressure will increase from 14.7 to about 875 PSI almost instantly. In the parts of the submarine that have volumes of trapped air, it would be like being inside a diesel engine cylinder when begins its compression stroke.

Anything flammable would burst into flames until a huge wall of water slams into the area and snuffs it out again. The impact of the water would cause significant injury to anyone unlucky enough to still be alive and there would be no time to suffer the effects of oxygen poisoning or anything else.

As others have stated, most human tissues are fluid-filled and are for the most part, incompressible. Human lungs and sinuses would be crushed instantly and the immense shock would render them unconscious immediately. Of greater concern would be the surge of incoming seawater, bulkheads, decks, heavy equipment, motors and other random bits of equipment being slammed into the crew at high velocity.

Essentially, the crew would be killed several times over in less than a blink of an eye.

According to several articles about the loss of the Scorpion, when the pressure hull failed, water entering the hull was moving at supersonic speeds and had filled the entire space in within 100 milliseconds.

The collapse produced with a force equivalent to 6000 kg of TNT.

Anyone who was still alive after the hydrogen explosions in the battery well wouldn’t have had time for the hull collapse to register in their mind, much less feel any pain.

This all sounds very morbid to a non-submariner, but it’s something that we all know is a danger. If I had to die on a submarine, I would rather die that way than linger on the bottom and slowly suffocate or die in a fire or radiation accident.

For those who would like to know more about the analysis of the acoustic and physical related to the loss of the Scorpion, google: “analysis of acoustic ssn-589 bruce rule”. It’s well worth your time.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Drowning seems a horrible way to die. Lots of ships have sunk over the course of history, so the Titanic isn't very special when compared to all of the other ships and subs that sank. I think it fascinates people because of the belief that the Titanic was a new type of "unsinkable" ship, though the fact that it did sink points up the arrogance of humans. This quote from the article illustrates the point:
No tragedy at sea was as horrible as that of the Titanic.
And by the way, I have seen people claiming the absurdest things for years. Saying that the steel was not good quality, or that there was already a hole in the hull...or something like that.
Researchers and historians have found that the Titanic was the most perfect work of engineering at that time.
Something that would have lasted for decades.

You can't have such a perfect ship and be so thriftless. Sailing by night? Come on...at least at very slow speed.
But no...very fast. If the ship had been slow, they would have had all the time to change route.
No...they had to arrive after few days in NYC... and they couldn't care less, because there were the "slaves", down the steerage doing the job, digging coal 24/7.
Even the most perfect work of engineering gets destroyed if one is reckless and unwise.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
No tragedy at sea was as horrible as that of the Titanic.

Well, they all seem pretty horrible. In terms of loss of life, there were deadlier shipwrecks in history.

Traveling across the sea has always been a dicey and risky venture, and back in Columbus' time, most people were afraid to sail the "Ocean Sea" (before they found out there was more than one ocean).

A lot of people thought Columbus' voyage would end in disaster, and even after he successfully crossed the Atlantic and returned, it was still thought of as highly risky and dangerous. But over time, they were able to build better, more sturdy ships, since they gained experience in understanding the kinds of weather and other conditions they'd have to face.

So, it started to seem relatively safer to travel across the seas, and since there was an economic motivation, it became more common. I can only imagine how it must have been on the Mayflower or other such ships that made their way across the Atlantic. Scary and uncertain.

By the time of the Titanic, shipbuilding had greatly improved, and the oceans were pretty well explored and mapped. It was much safer and more comfortable than in previous centuries - even for those in steerage.

But I think it also may have created an illusion of invulnerability that's attributable to the arrogance of humans.

That may be what was different about Titanic. Not that it sank, but that it wasn't supposed to sink.

And by the way, I have seen people claiming the absurdest things for years. Saying that the steel was not good quality, or that there was already a hole in the hull...or something like that.
Researchers and historians have found that the Titanic was the most perfect work of engineering at that time.
Something that would have lasted for decades.

You can't have such a perfect ship and be so thriftless. Sailing by night? Come on...at least at very slow speed.
But no...very fast. If the ship had been slow, they would have had all the time to change route.
No...they had to arrive after few days in NYC... and they couldn't care less. They were the "slaves", down the steerage digging coal 24/7.
Even the most perfect work of engineering gets destroyed if one is reckless and unwise.

It's been proven time and again that it's much easier to destroy than create.

But yeah, I've read the various theories and conjecture about what might have happened. Ships do sink, for any number of possible reasons, but the thing that strikes me about it is that they did not adequately prepare for that possibility - probably due to the same the illusion of invulnerability.

Another heartbreaking aspect was that the Californian was nearby and could have gotten there in time to save even more lives, but their radio operator went to bed for the night and they didn't get the message. The Carpathia got there as fast as they could, but the Californian was much closer.

One thing that came out of it was that they made changes in how ships operate, particularly in having enough lifeboats for everyone on board. I think they also standardized radio communication procedures, as radio was still a relatively new technology. There were definitely some lessons learned from the tragedy.

pearl

Most unfortunately, time is running out for those in the sub. Water temp and loss of oxygen. Even it is found
apparently there are no ships close enough, or capable to bring it to the surface.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
It's been proven time and again that it's much easier to destroy than create.

But yeah, I've read the various theories and conjecture about what might have happened. Ships do sink, for any number of possible reasons, but the thing that strikes me about it is that they did not adequately prepare for that possibility - probably due to the same the illusion of invulnerability.

Another heartbreaking aspect was that the Californian was nearby and could have gotten there in time to save even more lives, but their radio operator went to bed for the night and they didn't get the message. The Carpathia got there as fast as they could, but the Californian was much closer.

One thing that came out of it was that they made changes in how ships operate, particularly in having enough lifeboats for everyone on board. I think they also standardized radio communication procedures, as radio was still a relatively new technology. There were definitely some lessons learned from the tragedy.
They did know that the risk of icebergs was very high at that time of the year.
But the delirium of omnipotence made them believe that even if the ship had hit an underwater rock or an iceberg, the ship would have never sunken
And that's absolutely true.
Hitting an iceberg or a cliff at normal/slow speed would have created a really minimum damage.
That would have made the ship stay afloat.

But if you hit an iceberg or a rock at an incredible speed, the friction caused by the high kinetic energy basically cuts the hull as if it were a knife.
At slow or normal speed, it may have caused a huge dent, but nothing more.
Something repairable.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Most unfortunately, time is running out for those in the sub. Water temp and loss of oxygen. Even it is found
apparently there are no ships close enough, or capable to bring it to the surface.

Yes, it's looking rather bleak at this point: More rescue vessels arrive in Atlantic as missing submersible due to run out of oxygen - UPI.com

They were due to run out of oxygen at 7:10a EDT, which was about an hour and forty minutes ago.

I was reading elsewhere that there's an emergency system which is supposed to propel the sub to the surface, even if the crew is unconscious. But even finding it on the surface would be difficult.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That was a movie.
The banking elite are behind everything bad,
eg, WW1, WW2, Vietnam, Kardashians.

Well, I guess the Titanic tragedy is symbolic of the recklessness and myopic arrogance that one can observe among those in high places. They may not mean to do anything bad, but as the line goes, overconfidence is their weakness.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I have the feeling they are alive.
I don't know why.
Let's hope for a miracle.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
They did know that the risk of icebergs was very high at that time of the year.
But the delirium of omnipotence made them believe that even if the ship had hit an underwater rock or an iceberg, the ship would have never sunken
And that's absolutely true.
Hitting an iceberg or a cliff at normal/slow speed would have created a really minimum damage.
That would have made the ship stay afloat.

But if you hit an iceberg or a rock at an incredible speed, the friction caused by the high kinetic energy basically cuts the hull as if it were a knife.
At slow or normal speed, it may have caused a huge dent, but nothing more.
Something repairable.

The first sea disaster movie I saw as a kid was The Poseidon Adventure, with Gene Hackman, Ernest Borgnine, and quite a few other stars of the time. I've always been somewhat wary about traveling over water. I'm a confirmed landlubber, living in a landlocked state. Among many other joys in life I have found, I have realized that it's a nice thing to have air to breathe.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
The first sea disaster movie I saw as a kid was The Poseidon Adventure, with Gene Hackman, Ernest Borgnine, and quite a few other stars of the time. I've always been somewhat wary about traveling over water. I'm a confirmed landlubber, living in a landlocked state. Among many other joys in life I have found, I have realized that it's a nice thing to have air to breathe.
I love the sea, but the Mediterranean is actually like a cradle, you feel safe in.
I would never swim in the open Ocean, that's for sure. :)