• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Titanic

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Congrats to Don Jr. For Being The First To Turn The Missing Sub Into a Conspiracy Theory​

Well, that figures. At least from what's come out on this already, with other engineers and experts weighing in, it seems like this submersible was a disaster waiting to happen. So, now it's happened. No conspiracy that I can see, just incompetence and arrogance, two human frailties which seem to plague many of us.

On the other hand, I sometimes think about stories I've heard, about the possibility of ghosts or spirits around the wreckage. I'm not really a believer in that myself, but I suppose anything is possible. They are, after all, prowling around a gravesite, and I've seen some criticism over that.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I love the sea, but the Mediterranean is actually like a cradle, you feel safe in.
I would never swim in the open Ocean, that's for sure. :)

I suppose, although the Romans did lose a lot of ships in the Med, and so did a lot of other countries over the centuries. In fact, when I was reading up on the Californian, I saw that it was later torpedoed by German submarines in the Mediterranean during WW1.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
They did know that the risk of icebergs was very high at that time of the year.
But the delirium of omnipotence made them believe that even if the ship had hit an underwater rock or an iceberg, the ship would have never sunken
And that's absolutely true.
Hitting an iceberg or a cliff at normal/slow speed would have created a really minimum damage.
That would have made the ship stay afloat.

But if you hit an iceberg or a rock at an incredible speed, the friction caused by the high kinetic energy basically cuts the hull as if it were a knife.
At slow or normal speed, it may have caused a huge dent, but nothing more.
Something repairable.
I don't think this is true - given the normal speed of the ship over what it might have been doing, which is not that different - since inertia is the main culprit here, and if the ship hits anything the result will mostly be the same at either speed.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well, I guess the Titanic tragedy is symbolic of the recklessness and myopic arrogance that one can observe among those in high places. They may not mean to do anything bad, but as the line goes, overconfidence is their weakness.
In all things, humans learn by failure.
The overly cautious (OC) tend to be out-competed by
the damn-the-torpedoes-full-speed-ahead crowd.
But failure leads to the OCs getting their say.
I'm most familiar with vehicle history.
It's riddled with learning experiences.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I don't think this is true - given the normal speed of the ship over what it might have been doing, which is not that different - since inertia is the main culprit here, and if the ship hits anything the result will mostly be the same at either speed.
Across history, ships have hit icebergs countless times, and never sank. Because they did know there were icebergs, so they chose a low speed. I can give you numerous examples. After all...that kind of reinforced steel is much more powerful than ice...which is water basically.
Try to break a steel object with a big piece of ice and then let me know :)

It's the incredible, unimaginable speed that creates the friction.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

As long as people are upfront and honest about the risks, then at least people can go in with eyes open. But if people are told that something is "unsinkable," that's a different matter. It doesn't mean we shouldn't take risks, but wanton carelessness is not recommended.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
What a coincidence...it's always speed that causes incidents. :)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
As long as people are upfront and honest about the risks, then at least people can go in with eyes open. But if people are told that something is "unsinkable," that's a different matter. It doesn't mean we shouldn't take risks, but wanton carelessness is not recommended.
They prolly believed it was actually unsinkable.
Murphy's Law was known, but hadn't yet been
so named when the Titanic was designed & put
in service. (It arrived in 1949.) So awareness of
the concept was more lacking back then.

Trivia...
Among design criteria I had for products,
were "foolproof" & "damn foolproof".
The latter involves intent & more aggressive
stupidity.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
It actually was unsinkable. In fact her twin, the Olympic was hit by a warship, while the latter was arriving in the harbor.
The damage was huge, yet it didn't sink, because of the low speed.

I think that sailing in the dark at that abnormal speed, by night, in waters filled with icebergs is suicidal.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What a coincidence...it's always speed that causes incidents. :)
That's why when I haul machinery, I travel
only 55-60 mph max. Things that go wrong
do so more slowly. Been there & done that.
But the Titanic's problems were manyfold, eg,
- Raging coal bunker fire.
- Poor communication protocols.
- Risky weather conditions ignored.
- Metallurgical defects.
- Lifeboat shortage.
- Poor observation protocols.
- Lax seamanship.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The reasons given in the 1st link actually make
sense. Rather than being "woke", it's about
presenting an inspiring image to whippersnappers.
I respect such bald faced manipulation....when
for a good cause.