• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To the Anti-Religious

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
No it doesn't depend on whether God exists or not. Evolutionary processes depend on whether or not the explanations are adequate to explain what is observed. God does not even get a mention.

Ok, please understand what I am saying here.
IF God exists, then that is the reason why evolution is possible.
IF God doesn't exist, then evolution is an independent process.

We don't know if it began from a God or not. It's just like asking if God exists. We only have probability reasoning (as far as I can tell. To think otherwise I owuld need a pretty good explanation so feel free...).

dogsgod

Something tells me that any study on this is limited and full of knowledge gaps.
Let's face it, science can't detect God because he or it is never defined in falsifiable terms, but scientists can and have observed people and they can certainly study beliefs, especially the commonly held beliefs that are shared by many.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Let's face it, science can't detect God because he or it is never defined in falsifiable terms, but scientists can and have observed people and they can certainly study beliefs, especially the commonly held beliefs that are shared by many.

I agree with this statement. But I do hold that many scientific studies are flawed, especially in this arena, as they focus on contemporary western interpretations.
I personally do not think that contemporary religions truly reflect the original spiritualities from which they have evolved.

dogsgod

Ok, please understand what I am saying here.
IF God exists, then that is the reason why evolution is possible.
How so? Explanations of evolutionary processes are most adequate as they exist. What do you suppose you are going to stick your god appendage on to?
IF God doesn't exist, then evolution is an independent process.
Evolution is an independent process. If God exists, He will have nothing to do.

We don't know if it began from a God or not. It's just like asking if God exists. We only have probability reasoning (as far as I can tell. To think otherwise I owuld need a pretty good explanation so feel free...).
What people believe is of no consequence, Began from God has no meaning, there is no point in using an unknown such as God to explain what might be unknown. Something as simple as a collision may have caused the universe to expand, in fact there are mathimatical models that suggest this, the problem is working out how to test for such, these things take time and effort.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
How so? Explanations of evolutionary processes are most adequate as they exist. What do you suppose you are going to stick your god appendage on to?
Evolution is an independent process. If God exists, He will have nothing to do.

What people believe is of no consequence, Began from God has no meaning, there is no point in using an unknown such as God to explain what might be unknown. Something as simple as a collision may have caused the universe to expand, in fact there are mathimatical models that suggest this, the problem is working out how to test for such, these things take time and effort.

A collission of what? You mean...something existed before the big bang? Even energy, it seems. Does science explain how anything existed at all?

As to your first question, why is it difficult to understand that evolution may have been put into place by a higher intelligence? You believe that evolution is an independent process, you for all you know it might only be possible because some God has created the laws of nature to allow for such a process. But we don't know that. That's what I'm saying. We don't -know-, even if it's mroe likely one way or the other. So to say that evolution happens independently (as an absolute statement) seems like like a falacy to me. You -could- be wrong, even if that possibility seems incredibly slim.

dogsgod

I agree with this statement. But I do hold that many scientific studies are flawed, especially in this arena, as they focus on contemporary western interpretations.
I personally do not think that contemporary religions truly reflect the original spiritualities from which they have evolved.
Scientists are trained to be objective. Religions are not a thing of westerners, religions exist worldwide. Religious beliefs of all places and times are studied by people of differing cultures. If you are interested in a book that considers the very origins of religious beliefs and practices I would recommend Blood Rites by Barbara Eherenreich, Amazon.com: Blood Rites: Origins and History of the Passions of War (9780805057874): Barbara Ehrenreich: Books

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Scientists are trained to be objective. Religions are not a thing of westerners, religions exist worldwide. Religious beliefs of all places and times are studied by people of differing cultures. If you are interested in a book that considers the very origins of religious beliefs and practices I would recommend Blood Rites by Barbara Eherenreich, Amazon.com: Blood Rites: Origins and History of the Passions of War (9780805057874): Barbara Ehrenreich: Books

Thank you for the recommendation, i AM interested in different studies and ideas. I have actually been studying these things for a number of years, and debating with atheists (inc my boyfriend who is a scientific genius and atheist) and I've come to be highly skeptical and cautious of both religious and scientific arguments. SO much is biased, because bias is inevitable no matter how one tries to be objective. And we are always discovering new things, changing theories.
If it makes any difference, I can relate to the atheistic thinking. I just can't quite accept it because of my personality and life experiences. But I can understanding it.

DarkSun

:eltiT
That's so lame. I can't "disprove" invisible pixies aren't pulling me down towards the center of the planet, should I believe it? Should I just rename gravity to "invpix" and start giving it supernatural attributes?

Why don't you believe in random stuff you can't disprove - or even in stuff that could never be disproven. If I tell you the world is going to end in 93 years, would you continue your life believing in that until you find "proof" to the contrary? What a silly idea that would be. :)

If I believed in pixies or if I somehow knew that the world would end in 93 years, then yes, I would believe it until I found proof to the contrary. As it is, I do not believe that. And I will continue not to believe that until evidence is presented to the contrary.

It's the same with God, and whether each individual believes in Him or not. Really, we're not so different after all, are we?

I don't see how this is such a mental hurdle. :sarcastic

In a chaotic multiverse, there is no need for a creator. Probably don't want one either.

In a chaotic multiverse wherein science presumes to be able to find some sense of order - perhaps a creator would be the perfect way to explain the sheer complexity of the place we find ourselves in.

any atheist who believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is no god, is working on faith. most atheists don't do that, so try not to make sweeping statements about our beliefs. most of us disbelieve in the existence of god, precisely because there is no reason to believe in god, due to the fact that there is no evidence.

If an atheist finds no reason to believe in God, then I'm sorry, but they are doing exactly the same thintg as theists who find reason to believe in God. Both view points are equally substantiated.

How is that so hard to see?

There is absolutely no evidence one way or the other. What atheists and theists alike both do is attempt to make sense of the world based on their own interpretation: their own perception. To that end, they both either believe or disbelieve because they see no reason to see things any other way.

And I'm sorry, but by definition of the word "atheist", you would have to outright reject God without a shadow of doubt. To have any doubt appreciable whatsoever about the existence or inexistence of God would make one agnostic, not atheistic.

I've always felt that putting a god into the mix of the creation of the universe merely complicates things, but it seems as if it could all have happened naturally anyway, so why add magic?

Because science does not and cannot adequately explain how the universe began, let alone how life started, without some input from somewhere else.

The very laws of physics break down as you approach the time in which the universe began. That's why it's called the "Singularity". Science cannot explain what was going on, and that's why you get purely mathematical concepts like String Theory which may or may not actually apply to reality: because there is no way of actually proving what happened back then.

And don't get me started on Abiogenesis Theory. How a liposome could "magically" transform into a prokaryote through natural selection really is beyond me, no matter how many billions of years it took, and not matter how many misfires happened every second. Saying that life began by chance in this way is like saying that if you stayed at the beach for a long enough time, eventually, a bed of salt would "magically" precipitate underneath you and sustain itself long enough to carry you out to sea. It's unlikely, sure, but it's possible given enough time and enough misfires, right?

It's just that everything would have to be in exactly the right place and exactly the right time, PURELY bu chance. What are the odds of that without some external input?

Evolution is the only theory that science has concerning the origin of life in the universe which adequately described how we could have come about. But everything before that... well... it really doesn't make sense unless you include the possibility of a Creator.

but i will certainly allow for the possibility that there is a god, precisely because i can't disprove god. i just don't believe, which duh, obviously is my opinion, as any theists opinion is that there is a god. So, when someone says they believe in something, they are basically saying in my opinion.

Sort of like how you believe that there probably isn't a God, which is also your opinion? Which, really, makes you know different from people who might think that there is a strong possibility of a God rather than just a slight one.

It's not a matter of opinion that 2+2=4, it's a proven fact, and so is evolution. Believing in God is one thing but as soon as one states what a God does it's a matter of science,

No, it's a matter of faith. Which has nothing to do with science, unless you define "science" as another way of looking at the world. In which case it's very similar to religion, only with a certain level of objectivity.

and god is not included in scientific theory because theory is only concerned with facts.

Wrong. God is not included in scientific theory not because science there is no possibility of His existece - but because his existence or inexistence cannot be proven via the scientific method. Don't turn this into a case of "science versus God" because the two are not mutually exclusive. To claim otherwise is the epitome of arrogance.

God is a belief and that's all it is, nothing more.

But disbelief in God is based on just as much evidence as belief, so I don't see your point.

Evolution is a fact regardless of what any of us believes, so no, evolutionary processes are not a matter of opinion, but rather a matter of fact. Evolution satisfactorily explains how things have come to be and notions of Gods are merely superfluous and play no role in our origins regardless of anyone's opinion.

I agree that evolution is not a matter of opinion. But belief in God is. I don't think anyone has ever said otherwise.

DarkSun

evolution's not a fact like 2+2=4 its and observation and pediction and doesnt completely answer the question of life's origin. so until such times as these holes are plugged god can still be used as an possibility.
scientists are trying to work out how to create life from scratch, so how do we no that some super-advanced civilisation worked out how to do it and set up earth as an experiment to watch lifes evolutionary process.

god as the omnipotent guy in the sky never really made sense to me, if god exists then i believe that its another name for nature, things grow, die and feed the next generation. so to show love for 'god' you need to show appreciation for the most important thing created for us. you should be able to work out what i mean

Frubals... Even though we don't completely agree on God, at least you can see where others are coming from. :)

Regardless of what theists believe, God is just a belief, but as soon as one claims what God does, such as creates, then they are making a scientific claim, and evolution suggests that other processes are at work that do not require a creator which disproves the baseless and superfluous claims regarding creator gods.

Disbelief in God is based on equal evidence. Stop placing your own views on a pedastel.

If you don't care to commit as to how you define your God it matters not, evolutionary processes do not require a higher intelligence of any kind. Intelligence is a product of evolution, not the other way around as theists would like to believe.

God has as many interpretations as there are people on this Earth.

It took billions of years for consciousness to evolve,(and who says it's from nothing, could energy not always have existed?) and we can see the process by which solar systems evolve and here on earth how life forms became more complex over time, what would be even more spectacular than that would be the creation of a God out of nothing, and for what reason, certainly not to set evolutionary processes into motion, for that is unnecessary.

Please explain the sequence of events which caused consciousness to emerge and explain why things could not have happened any other way. Then I will understand how it is not "chance" which led to the conclusion which we're faced with.

Science can observe people and how they come to formulate beliefs, such as the belief of an invisible god.

"Invisible God"... that sounds really objective right there. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't have brought this point up, but some of the posters on this thread seem to keep jumping from one definition of god to another.

No. We all just have a slightly different interpretation. We're not jumping anywhere, we're just each saying different things.

No it doesn't depend on whether God exists or not. Evolutionary processes depend on whether or not the explanations are adequate to explain what is observed. God does not even get a mention.

Not in science, no. By nature, science is neutral about whether God exists. It doesn't even comment on whethere he exists or not, because science cannot prove one way or the other. Belief and disbelief alike, are therefore, not based on objective evidence, but on the individual's own subjective perception.

Modern psychology includes the study of how humans formulate beliefs. The study of religious beliefs and how people come to acquire them is of particular interest, at least it is to me.

:facepalm: You're arguing objectivity, and then you use the most vague field of science in the world to argue your point?

Psychology, by nature, is an incredibly complex field because the human mind is not a simple, black and white thing. Any study to determine why human's believe things is bound to be riddled with errors - because not everyone believes the same thing for the same reasons.

Commoner

Headache
If I believed in pixies or if I somehow knew that the world would end in 93 years, then yes, I would believe it until I found proof to the contrary. As it is, I do not believe that. And I will continue not to believe that until evidence is presented to the contrary.

It's the same with God, and whether each individual believes in Him or not. Really, we're not so different after all, are we?

I don't see how this is such a mental hurdle. :sarcastic

But you don't believe in pixies "by default", do you? You're skeptical until you get some "proof". There is no such "proof" for pixies, where is the "proof" for god? That's the mental hurdle. No one has been able to demonstrate this "god" thing.

EDIT: I know "proof" is not the best word to use in this context.

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
But you don't believe in pixies "by default", do you? You're skeptical until you get some "proof". There is no such "proof" for pixies, where is the "proof" for god? That's the mental hurdle. No one has been able to demonstrate this "god" thing.

God represents a lot mroe than invisible pixies though. It doesnt matter to me if the pixies exist or not. However, it does matter to me if God exists or not. Actually, it might be more correct to say that it seems unlikely that God does not exist. I just cannot tell you what god is exactly, or how to find Him. But the existene in a Higher Intelligence, and 'something more' or 'purpose' is extremely important to me. That is what makes od and pixies different.

Commoner

Headache
God represents a lot mroe than invisible pixies though. It doesnt matter to me if the pixies exist or not. However, it does matter to me if God exists or not. Actually, it might be more correct to say that it seems unlikely that God does not exist. I just cannot tell you what god is exactly, or how to find Him. But the existene in a Higher Intelligence, and 'something more' or 'purpose' is extremely important to me. That is what makes od and pixies different.

What "higher purpose" could god give to your life that you could not have without god (that is, without the existance of god, not without the belief in god)?

I think the "higher purpose" is just a bit of an ego boost, isn't it?

DarkSun

EDIT: I know "proof" is not the best word to use in this context.

But this is exactly my point. :eek:

I believe in God even though I have no empirical proof of His existence. I do this because that's the way I perceive the world.

You don't believe in God despite the fact that you have no evidence of His inexistence. You do this because you can't see how things could be any other way.

You and I both don't believe in pixies despite the fact that there is no empirical proof for or against the existence of pixies. We both do this because that's what seems logical to us.

Are we really so different?

DarkSun

What "higher purpose" could god give to your life that you could not have without god (that is, without the existance of god, not without the belief in god)?

None. But no one can help what they believe. And if one sees God in nature, in a church, in other people - or if one doesn't see God at all - what's the big deal?

An 'ego boost' has nothing to do with it. That's just a cop out and you know it.

Commoner

Headache
But this is exactly my point. :eek:

I believe in God even though I have no empirical proof of His existence. I do this because that's the way I perceive the world.

You don't believe in God despite the fact that you have no evidence of His inexistence. You do this because you can't see how things could be any other way.

You and I both don't believe in pixies despite the fact that there is no empirical proof for or against the existence of pixies. We both do this because that's what seems logical to us.

Are we really so different?

Nope. I don't believe anything, unless I have a reason to believe it. I don't "not believe in god despite the lack of evidence for its inexistance". I don't believe because of the lack of evidence for its existance.

That's where we differ - my default position is skepticism, not "belief until disproven".

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member

It isn't an ego boost at all...its important to me that my existence has a purpose. If I feel like I have no purpose, I become nihilisticly depressed. I hate the idea that everything might be an accident and that there might be nothing more to it. That is a really horrible idea to me. And it feels completely contradictory to my concepts of love and consciousness and life. I've tried thinking like an atheist. Heck, I've come pretty close. But it just doesn't sit right. It feels so perversly wrong. I end up thinking, very passionately, that there -must- be something more. Everything seems to point to something more. When i look at the world I do see purpose, I do see meaning and I cannot accept that there isn't something behind it all. That just doesn't seem right at all.

I realise this is all feelings and nothing substantial but you know what? The more I learn about life and the universe the more I realise that absolutely anythign is possible, and how little I actually know or that anyone knows. The only thing that I can be sure of is my own conscious state. Everything else could be a dream for all I know. So actually, I am going to go wih my personal feelings and perception because that is all I really have. And I do admit that I could be wrong.

DarkSun

Nope. I don't believe anything, unless I have a reason to believe it. I don't "not believe in god despite the lack of evidence for its inexistance". I don't believe because of the lack of evidence for its existance.

That's where we differ - my default position is skepticism, not "belief until disproven".

Well, my default position on God's inexistence is skepticism until I am disproven. I see God every time I read a science text book, every time I sit in a Biochemistry lecture listening to the sheer complexity and intricacy of the body's mechanisms, every time I stare into the stars, every time I see something in this world that blows me away. To me, I don't see how a Creator of some form couldn't exist. That's where we differ, I guess. :eek:

Edit: And it doesn't matter how many times you shunt this fact - but there is also a lack of evidence for God's inexistence too. Yet you still don't believe in Him because of the dual lack of evidence for His existence. The very fact that you have a view on something without any empirical evidence one way or the other, proves, that you are willing to believe something until you are proven otherwise. You believe that God doesn't exist (without evidence for this belief), and you will continue to do so until there is evidence to the contrary.

Last edited:

Commoner

Headache
It isn't an ego boost at all...its important to me that my existence has a purpose. If I feel like I have no purpose, I become nihilisticly depressed. I hate the idea that everything might be an accident and that there might be nothing more to it. That is a really horrible idea to me. And it feels completely contradictory to my concepts of love and consciousness and life. I've tried thinking like an atheist. Heck, I've come pretty close. But it just doesn't sit right. It feels so perversly wrong. I end up thinking, very passionately, that there -must- be something more. Everything seems to point to something more. When i look at the world I do see purpose, I do see meaning and I cannot accept that there isn't something behind it all. That just doesn't seem right at all.

I realise this is all feelings and nothing substantial but you know what? The more I learn about life and the universe the more I realise that absolutely anythign is possible, and how little I actually know or that anyone knows. The only thing that I can be sure of is my own conscious state. Everything else could be a dream for all I know. So actually, I am going to go wih my personal feelings and perception because that is all I really have. And I do admit that I could be wrong.

Well, of course - we all need purpose and meaning in our lives, atheists are no different. What I see as a bit egotistical is this idea of a "higher purpose" being bestowed upon us from this ultimate authority.

I act irrationally quite often - even when I know my actions are irrational. It's not like accepting something isn't real is some dramatic event that changes your life forever. I know spiders generally can't harm me, I still don't particularly like them. But I imagine I do manage my behaviour at least a bit because of having that knowledge.

Knowing that my feelings and emotions are just a bit of chemicals and electricity jumping around in my brain doesn't change them much, or at all.

Commoner

Headache
You believe that God doesn't exist (without evidence for this belief), and you will continue to do so until there is evidence to the contrary.

I don't believe god doesn't exist. I don't believe god exists.

There can be no "proof" of the inexistance of anything, it would be a bit silly to expect it.