• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To the Anti-Religious

rageoftyrael

Veritas
but it should be admitted that it is a possibility that we are merely looking in the wrong direction, as purex states. this must be admitted, just like it must be admitted that we can't know whether or not there is a god. of course, when i say that i can't know for certain whether or not there is a god, i'm basically already admitting to purex's statement, because if i truly believed there was no evidence to be found, whatsoever, i could logically claim there is no god.

themadhair

If the glass is perfectly full, but you only look at it from only one particular angle, and insist that your angle is the only valid angle, no matter how long and hard you look, you will think the glass is empty.
Care to demonstrate the glass is full?

themadhair

I would love to, but it's quite difficult to teach. Not every technique works for every person, and short of telepathy, I can't think of a way to demonstrate an internal process.
So, in other words, 'shift your perspective', sounds good but is essentially bs?

PureX

Veteran Member
To be fair I’m quite happy to settle for one possibility that contributed to the result – that the reason I cannot find such evidence is that the concept I’m looking for doesn’t exist in reality.
Well, clearly the CONCEPT exists. And the experience of this concept is real. Whatever else your looking for, I don't know.

themadhair

Way to miss the point, dude.

Care to explain what warped thought process equated difficulty to "bs?"
In that it is presenting feel-good wishy-washy instead of something tangible and worthwhile. When you present something that essentially can be directed right back at you (i.e. I could retort that you need to 'shift perspective') it makes me wonder if it has no value.

That's what I tend to use the phrase bs to describe.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
In that it is presenting feel-good wishy-washy instead of something tangible and worthwhile. When you present something that essentially can be directed right back at you (i.e. I could retort that you need to 'shift perspective') it makes me wonder if it has no value.

That's what I tend to use the phrase bs to describe.
Ah, I see. So, you had no idea what I was talking about, and chose to go on the attack rather than ask for clarification. How impressive. :rolleyes:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
If the glass is perfectly full, but you only look at it from only one particular angle, and insist that your angle is the only valid angle, no matter how long and hard you look, you will think the glass is empty.

Your analogy is faulty, because it implies that every angle of looking at the glass is valid, or, at least, that there cannot be only one valid angle. This is, of course, true when it comes to looking at a glass of water, but not when it comes to judging the validity of evidence concerning the objective existence of something.

themadhair

Ah, I see. So, you had no idea what I was talking about, and chose to go on the attack rather than ask for clarification. How impressive. :rolleyes:
As I said, presenting feel-good wishy-washy instead of something tangible and worthwhile tends to not add anything to the discussion. And becoming offended when called out on it doesn't add anything either.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
As I said, presenting feel-good wishy-washy instead of something tangible and worthwhile tends to not add anything to the discussion.
Which would be a problem, if that were what I was doing.

Trance states exist, they've been confirmed by modern neuroscience. They're as tangible as any other neurological activity. Cope.

And becoming offended when called out on it doesn't add anything either.
Don't flatter yourself.

themadhair

Which would be a problem, if that were what I was doing.
We shall see.
Trance states exist, they've been confirmed by modern neuroscience. They're as tangible as any other neurological activity. Cope.
Can you point to where I denied they exist? Or did you imagine I did because you were too quick to take offense at what I wrote? If you think your comment is representative of what I've been arguing in this thread then maybe you should go back and read what I actually wrote.

themadhair

And I could be wrong here, but haven't we had a discussion on this in the past where I posted research to show that such states have been confirmed??? So why do you think
I am suddenly denying they exist????? Seriously?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
We shall see.

Can you point to where I denied they exist? Or did you imagine I did because you were too quick to take offense at what I wrote? If you think your comment is representative of what I've been arguing in this thread then maybe you should go back and read what I actually wrote.
Or maybe you should just think before you type.

themadhair

Nope. Just wondering why you prefer a p***ing match to civil conversation.
Could you at least provide some substantiation for this 'shift perspective' advice?
Preferably something that doesn't involve you accusing me of holding a position I do not hold, and preferably something that doesn't involve you making non-constructive posts like the above?

If I introduced a term/concept/idea that was vague, and people asked me to substantiate it, I don't think I would behaving in this way.