• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tolerance and What If You Were Wrong?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Okay. Now would you mind addressing the OP. Are you willing to admit that you could be wrong, and that there is a God? If the rest of us can give a straightforward answer to that question, I would assume you can, too.

Sure, there could be a god. I don't find it impossible, just improbable. Even if there was a god, I would merely be a deist, and my personal morals and ethics would remain unchanged.

spiritually inclined

I don't just accept the possibility... I know for a fact that there is a 99.9999999999% chance that my mythology is wrong, that's why i call it my mythology. So why do I continue to believe it? Because so far it's the best explanation I have so far as to WHY the universe exists and WHY things are the way they are. My mythology only explains why... I leave the how and what up to science. Not to mention that my mythology plays only a very minor role in my religion. The rest of my religion is simply how I live my life, which if it were to change would do so as I change. Even if my mythology were proven wrong, or I found one that gives a better explanation it would have little to no effect on how I live my life.

The above quote demonstrates the same way I feel about Christianity. I am 100% sure that Christian mythology is wrong (at least if it is literalized). It is a way for me to explain meaning that I and other humans find in life. The rest of my religious/spiritual/philosophical path has to do with morality, which I based on common human empathy and reason.

Sure, there could be a god. I don't find it impossible, just improbable. Even if there was a god, I would merely be a deist, and my personal morals and ethics would remain unchanged.

As an agnostic -- who nevertheless contemplates God in an abstract, symbolic way -- the above statement also applies to me. My personal morals and ethics are not based on the assumed existence of an external god.

My beliefs are always open to change and have changed numerous times. My beliefs about ultimate matters, such as the existence of God, are beliefs. They are not knowledge. I therefore have little problem changing them or considering that they could be wrong.

James

Nessa Nenharma

Goddess of my Domain
I was watching YouTube today and came across these back and forth videos between a strong Christian (VenomfangX) and a strong Athiest (TheAmazingAthiest). At the very end of the video by VenomfangX, he says "If you're a Muslim, repent or burn in hell."

(YouTube - Islam and Muslims and Allah, Oh My!)

He is proving the Islamic religion false in his mind. He even has a video.

(YouTube - Proving Islam wrong).

Now, in my mind, I can't believe how close-minded some people are and intolerant! It's mindboggling!

From what RabidApe from YouTube says in his video,

(YouTube - Open Letter to VenomFangX),

Could you accept the possibility you are wrong in your beliefs? And if you can't accept that possibility, why?

I can accept the possibility that I am wrong in my beliefs (Although I believe all religions lead to the same destination). And if I die and end up standing in front of the Christian God awaiting my sentence in hell, I will turn to him, look him straight in the face and say, "What, you can't take a joke?" :)

:bb:

Nessa

Smoke

Done here.
Actually, I never assume that my beliefs are correct. They are "under construction", as it were, and are continually being changed and modified. Beliefs that resist adaptation are beliefs that will ultimately succeed in closing the mind with a rather large padlock attached. This would have a tendency to block further understanding in any meaningful terms. What I don't think many realize is that "faith" is the padlock, as it can override reasoning altogether.
:bow:

Beyond the importance of realizing that you might be wrong, I think it's important to recognize that you are virtually certain to be wrong about some of your beliefs. If your beliefs aren't subject to change, you've stopped thinking. If you say your beliefs are subject to change, but nothing ever really changes, you're just kidding yourself.

spiritually inclined

Beyond the importance of realizing that you might be wrong, I think it's important to recognize that you are virtually certain to be wrong about some of your beliefs. If your beliefs aren't subject to change, you've stopped thinking. If you say your beliefs are subject to change, but nothing ever really changes, you're just kidding yourself.

True.

James

a_student

Potentially, we could all be wrong. But to think you are not right contradicts what it means to believe. My beliefs could be wrong. But I don't think they are, otherwise I would not believe in them.

Also tolerance is so important. Regardless of what we believe we must respect what others believe also even if it is completely opposite of our own belief system.