• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tower of Babel

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
So you're in agreement that attributing the Tower's construction to Nimrod is not supported by any specific Bible passages but is the result of extabiblical sources, i.e. Josephus?
I hate to keep bringing it up but I find it interesting how the extrabiblical traditions, tales and details attached to Biblical stories without specific textual support become part of scripture interpreted literally.

the two scriptures i posted are not extrabiblical

the bible interprets itself by naming the land of Assyria as belonging to Nimrod, and naming Nimrod as the first person who sought to establish his own greatness in the earth

The city he first built was 'babel' and once the people became scattered he continued to place himself above those who were with him by establishing more cities in his own name.

Perhaps you are not grasping how the scriptures make such interpretations?

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
the two scriptures i posted are not extrabiblical

the bible interprets itself by naming the land of Assyria as belonging to Nimrod, and naming Nimrod as the first person who sought to establish his own greatness in the earth

The city he first built was 'babel' and once the people became scattered he continued to place himself above those who were with him by establishing more cities in his own name.

Perhaps you are not grasping how the scriptures make such interpretations?
I realize the passages you mentioned are scripture- Nimrod is mentioned in Gen. 10:8-9 where it's established Nimrod's kingdom housed the cities Babel, Erech, Accad, and Calnah in the land of Shinar. But while it does describe his founding the city of Babel the extrabiblical legend that he's responsible for building the Tower of Babel is not scriptural. Yes, you may assume he was involved since Babel was his city, but you cannot use scripture as verification because it is silent on the issue; Gen. 11:1-9 does not mention Nimrod's involvement whatsoever. Nimrod's culpability in the Tower's construction was introduced by Josephus, not scripture.

My point being that extrabiblical legends are inexorably entwined with well known Biblical stories.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I realize the passages you mentioned are scripture- Nimrod is mentioned in Gen. 10:8-9 where it's established Nimrod's kingdom housed the cities Babel, Erech, Accad, and Calnah in the land of Shinar. But while it does describe his founding the city of Babel the extrabiblical legend that he's responsible for building the Tower of Babel is not scriptural. Yes, you may assume he was involved since Babel was his city, but you cannot use scripture as verification because it is silent on the issue; Gen. 11:1-9 does not mention Nimrod's involvement whatsoever. Nimrod's culpability in the Tower's construction was introduced by Josephus, not scripture.

My point being that extrabiblical legends are inexorably entwined with well known Biblical stories.

Josephus didnt invent the idea though...it was common jewish knowledge that Nimrod was the main man and the bible infers this to be the case in a number of ways. The genesis account says he “made the start in becoming a mighty one in the earth,” so he obviously started something new that had never been tried before and the babel tower was the first of its kind up to that time.

so i guess you are right in the sense that the bible doesnt directly say 'nimrod built the tower of babel' but it certainly does infer that he built it by naming the city as his founding city.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
So what's the point of verse 6, then?

If God's problem with what the people were doing is as you describe, how is what he said in verse 6 relevant?
I'm not sure that the Bible is clear on what the potential was for them to do but it is obvious from both Genesis 1 and this account that whatever they had planned, scattering them by confounding the languages was the answer.

Agnostic75

sandy whitelinger said:
God gave Adam and Eve two commandments in the Garden of Eden.......

Not likely. As millions of Christians know, theistic evolution is probably true, not special creation.

I know, "the Bible says so" is sufficient evidence for you. However, you will never convince anyone of anything based soley upon that argument. Perhaps you have a boring life and just like to talk.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Not likely. As millions of Christians know, theistic evolution is probably true, not special creation.
When having a biblical discussion what is in the bible is highly pertinent to the discussion.

I know, "the Bible says so" is sufficient evidence for you. However, you will never convince anyone of anything based soley upon that argument. Perhaps you have a boring life and just like to talk.
Following me around and making personal attacks most likely violates the rules on this forum. This would apply to you as well horiturk.

Apologies will be accepted between noon and four o'clock Monday throught Friday on the even months.

Last edited by a moderator: