• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trickle Down Economy

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Yeah, but as for the wealthy? Like the NFL. Joe Montana doesn't play anymore, Dan Marino doesn't play anymore, Tom Brady is in the evening of his career, but it will keep going with future star quarterbacks.
That's lots of wealthy players who aren't creating the jobs. That's mostly the fewer people running the [tax exempt] NFL Players Club. And even then I do believe they wouldn't generate as much as they do if they didn't get special treatment and privileges from the government at local, state and federal levels.
Like new stadiums people don't need.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Yeah. Indianapolis even raised taxes just so the Colts could get a new stadium. The NFL is a vastly rich organization and if one of their teams wants a stadium it should be paid for by the NFL or team wanting it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yeah. Indianapolis even raised taxes just so the Colts could get a new stadium. The NFL is a vastly rich organization and if one of their teams wants a stadium it should be paid for by the NFL or team wanting it.
I blame the voters for supporting such subsidies.

Shaul

Premium Member
so if the idea is to give the wealthy more tax breaks so as to create jobs, why then is the income gap between the haves and have nots shrinking?

why isn't that wealth being distributed equally in real numbers?

are they actually investing in new job creation and innovation?
Why should wealth be distributed evenly? Just like beauty it never has been.

What does trickle down are taxes. History shows that taxes always ultimately flow down to the masses. That is why "soak the rich" is stupid.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Why should wealth be distributed evenly? Just like beauty it never has been.
Other than Marxists, who says this?

What does trickle down are taxes. History shows that taxes always ultimately flow down to the masses.
So do the jobs that such "tricked down" helps to create. Also, taxes do not have to be the same with the masses v the more well-heeled.

That is why "soak the rich" is stupid.
Not understanding Economics 101 is even far more so.

When the Swedish Minister of Finance was asked in the late 1990's what helped Sweden reemerge as an economic power per capita in Europe after a poor start a decade earlier, his answer was put in two words: "Higher taxes" [translated]. If one understands basic economics, this can make sense.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The OP, for one. It was in what my post quoted. "why isn't that wealth being distributed equally in real numbers?"
I replied to that when I mentioned "Marxism", but thanks for the reminder about the OP.

Shadow Wolf

I blame the voters for supporting such subsidies.
The People of Indiana don't really get to vote on those things. I didn't live in Marion County, but where I did live it wasn't unusual for people traveling for whatever reason to stop outside if Indianapolis to avoid the tax as they felt they shouldn't have to buy a stadium for a football team who can and should pay for it themselves.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The People of Indiana don't really get to vote on those things. I didn't live in Marion County, but where I did live it wasn't unusual for people traveling for whatever reason to stop outside if Indianapolis to avoid the tax as they felt they shouldn't have to buy a stadium for a football team who can and should pay for it themselves.
The state & the city financed it.
Did those leaders get re-elected?
Especially after the tax increases
to pay for it fell short.

Shadow Wolf

Voters....they're behind most governmental mischief.
You aren't one of'm, are you?
Indiana I effectively had no representation at any level so I am guiltless there.
Here in California I am proud to say I voted to enshrine reproductive freedom, including abortion, with a state constitution amendment. I've also voted for more than just mostly Dems and a couple Libertarians here and found myself voting Green in the last primary quite a bit.

Shadow Wolf

Yup. And it's not like a school, library, healthcare, firefighters or roads, I helped pay for that thing and didn't even get to see a concert at it (mostly because most bands I like play smaller venues and not many go to Indiana anyways), not even Metallica because they rarely go to Indiana. So instead I saw them at the old stadium that was torn down because the lackluster and generally poorly performing and often not even making the playoffs Colts wanted a new stadium.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Indiana I effectively had no representation at any level so I am guiltless there.
Here in California I am proud to say I voted to enshrine reproductive freedom, including abortion, with a state constitution amendment. I've also voted for more than just mostly Dems and a couple Libertarians here and found myself voting Green in the last primary quite a bit.
You're a voter, eh.
(I'm one too.)