• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

True or Useful?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
All else being equal, what is more important, or more valuable, to you: that something is true, or that something is useful? Or, do you find the distinction unimportant?

Straw Dog

All else being equal, what is more important, or more valuable, to you: that something is true, or that something is useful? Or, do you find the distinction unimportant?

I find that things we often consider to be true tend to be useful and things we see as useful tend to become true. I don't really know the true difference between the two nor the useful difference here haha. I guess I'm somewhat of a neo-pragmatist.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I don't think the distinction's valid at all.

IMO, true things generally end up being useful eventually even if they aren't immediately, and things that are "useful but not true" usually end up being pretty useless.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Truth is valuable to me for the fact that it's, well, true. But usefulness is generally better, as long as you don't accept it as true.

SCHIZO

Truth is useful but has no place in the world. I would rather know the truth about something than be in the dark. If something is truly useful then there must be truth in it.

atanu

Premium Member

True in my definition is that which remains true. That only can be truly useful. Temporary usefulness or temporary truths lead to attachment that usually become pain.

Trey of Diamonds

Hmmmm, I'm going to say it depends on the context. I value both truth and usefullness. If I'm in a position where I have to chose, I would probably go with useful.

Tonymai

Lonesome Religionist
If you can lure people into your frame of lies, your lies can be useful to manipulate them. If you teach people truth, they will find the use of it on their own because truth liberates.