• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

True or Useful?

Villager

All else being equal, what is more important, or more valuable, to you: that something is true, or that something is useful? Or, do you find the distinction unimportant?
A proposition is useful only if it is true. Though not all truths are useful, if only because they are unknown.

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
Good question. I think useful things are often more valuable than truth, and we tend to believe a thing is true if we want it to be true. So we often can't see that we value usefulness more than truthiness. Heh, truthiness. And sometimes we downright see it - as when ailing Grandma bakes you a cake and you lie and tell her it tastes fantastic. You value Gma's feelings more than truth then.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
little-richard.jpg

Songbird

What the..

A girl has a busy day, and comes back to find Little Richard took over the place.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
All else being equal, what is more important, or more valuable, to you: that something is true, or that something is useful? Or, do you find the distinction unimportant?

There is always a truth behind the things that are useful, although people have a tendency to make up their own 'truths' rather than seek out the truths that are really there.

Alceste

Vagabond
I am not entirely sure there is any such thing as "true" information, or that I'd want to think I know it if there were. How could I ever really know whether an item of information is true, or whether I only THINK it's true? Cognitive research strongly suggests that the more certain I am that my information is "true", the more resistant I will be to contrary information which might be more true. So it seems to me that the best approach to whatever truth there is, if any, is through fanatical and continuous self-doubt. That's the way I go: whether or not there is any actual "truth" to be known, I would rather be open to knowing it (if possible) than blinded by unfounded certainties.

With the above approach to truth, maybe you can see why it's easier for me to sink my teeth into information that is useful. :D

Songbird

There is always a truth behind the things that are useful, although people have a tendency to make up their own 'truths' rather than seek out the truths that are really there.

That's what Mulder was trying to convince Scully of.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
If something is useful to you, does it matter whether or not it's true? Does the fact that something is true have value to you, even if you don't find it useful?
To be honest, your question is generalized for me to give a black or white answer.
Some things it matters a great deal that it is true, regardless of its usefulness.
Some things it matters a great deal how useful it is, regardless of its truthfulness.

atanu

Premium Member
Useful is more useful to me.

:shrug:

Truth is a subjective term based on perception. Today's truth becomes tomorrows lie. Both truths and lies can be useful or damaging.

Good question. I think useful things are often more valuable than truth, and we tend to believe a thing is true if we want it to be true. So we often can't see that we value usefulness more than truthiness. Heh, truthiness. And sometimes we downright see it - as when ailing Grandma bakes you a cake and you lie and tell her it tastes fantastic. You value Gma's feelings more than truth then.

So, without knowing the Truth can one know what is truly useful?

atanu

Premium Member
You know what is truthful because it ends up being so useful. It fits right in there. The right action for its time and place.

:)I agree. Yet what is the time span of knowing that something has ended as being useful? And even for that a knowledge of what is true at all times will be required.