• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

True To Yourself or True To Your God?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Suppose your favorite deity commanded you to do something that was not true to yourself? Would you be justified in not obeying your god because s/he commanded you to do something that was not true to yourself?

Suppose you believed your favorite deity had created you, and that, consequently, you are being true to your deity by being true to yourself. If you believed that, and your favorite deity commanded you to to do something that was not true to yourself, would you be justified in not obeying your god?

moegypt

As a muslim,

The God know everything and We believe that God is the Wise and justice.

That is very important in our faith.

I must do what the God wants to reach the heaven and the gardens.

Aasimar

Atheist
As a muslim,

That is precisely what frightens me most about religion, the ability to suspend your own moral judgment in favor of what it is believed your deity wishes you to do.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Most of Gods commands go against my natural self and what my natural self wants, but the problem is with me not God, all of Gods commands are good and my natural nature is very bad. Recognising this and submitting totally to the will of God so that your desire is to do the will of God will resolve any conflict between what God wants and what you want.

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
Suppose your favorite deity commanded you to do something that was not true to yourself? Would you be justified in not obeying your god because s/he commanded you to do something that was not true to yourself?

Suppose you believed your favorite deity had created you, and that, consequently, you are being true to your deity by being true to yourself. If you believed that, and your favorite deity commanded you to to do something that was not true to yourself, would you be justified in not obeying your god?
My answer depends entirely on what you mean by 'true to yourself.' For instance, I don't believe that God would ask something unreasonable of me-e.g. harming someone-true to myself or not-but I do believe that God would, and does, ask things of me that I may not necessarily be completely comfortable with-e.g. forgiveness. Forgiveness has never come easily for me, and could therefore possibly be construed as not being 'true to myself.'

mingmty

Scientist
I'm not going to answer, because I don't believe in the God theory, but here is a relevant quote:

I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires.
~ Susan B. Anthony

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Most of Gods commands go against my natural self and what my natural self wants, but the problem is with me not God, all of Gods commands are good and my natural nature is very bad. Recognising this and submitting totally to the will of God so that your desire is to do the will of God will resolve any conflict between what God wants and what you want.

But who created your natural self, *Paul*? If it was God, then why would God create you to be something He did not want you to be true to?

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Well I personally have the belief that no one is inatley evil so I tend to trust my instincts and what my heart tells me a great deal(though I still have to work on it) It is highly unlikely that any my spirit guides and mentors(I don't really have any "Gods")would ask me to do something that I was morally against but if it so happened that they did I would go with my heart.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
But who created your natural self, *Paul*? If it was God, then why would God create you to be something He did not want you to be true to?

I was pro-created by my parents and inherited their fallen nature but I am not a special creation of God, all that God creates is good.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
I was pro-created by my parents and inherited their fallen nature but I am not a special creation of God, all that God creates is good.

Then where did evil come from? How can there even BE evil in the world if everything God makes is good?

Sola*5

Then where did evil come from? How can there even BE evil in the world if everything God makes is good?

Evil exists because there are rules which are good and righteous given to us by God, to depart from these and rebel is what evil is, Satan broke God's rules and then man did, there is nothing wrong with the creation God made.

It's like going to a derelict building that was once beautiful but has been destroyed by bombers and blaming the architect for making such a building.

John_672

Omnitheist

Very tricky question. On one hand, I would have to believe this god had created me and my sense of self. On the other hand, that same god is asking me to do something contrary to my own nature? Why would God do this? The only reasonable answer I could think of is that the act of creation, in this case my own creation, is not truly finished. In which case, it is a matter of letting God have her way with me so that I might become whole. Alternatively, it could also very well be that the god in question is not *The God*, but rather is an idol based on my limited understanding of my own spirituality. I would be perfectly justified in rejecting and disobeying this god, but would still obey because I would think that this idol of the mind was the true God.

Either way, I would end up obeying... at least until I had reason to doubt my god's intentions.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Evil exists because there are rules which are good and righteous given to us by God, to depart from these and rebel is what evil is, Satan broke God's rules and then man did, there is nothing wrong with the creation God made.

It's like going to a derelict building that was once beautiful but has been destroyed by bombers and blaming the architect for making such a building.

Hey, a reasonable explanation at last:bow:. Or at least more so than what I usually hear. The only trouble with this one is that wasn't Satan an angel? And if I remember correctly angels don't have free will and must do as god bids? If that's the case then how could Satan break any of God's rules?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

In my warped view of reality "God" simply does not issue edicts or commands. Further to this, if I were to receive words from outside of myself imploring me to do something that was against my character I would book an appointment with a friendly mental health worker so fast it would make your head spin. Bottom line, I would NOT react to such an impulse as the concept behind the question is without merit, though I realize many would argue well into the night that I am quite wrong.

Aasimar

Atheist

This is incorrect, because There was no outside force to destroy the building. A more appropriate analogy would be god created a building, the building fell apart, then he blamed the building for falling apart.

UnTheist

Then why is God's creation Evil?

Is the Architect Omnipotent? I guess not.

Ozzie

As a muslim,

I think you just answered a longstanding question of mine.

Why do elderly people have such an obsession for gardening?

moegypt

I think you just answered a longstanding question of mine.

Why do elderly people have such an obsession for gardening?

It is not l what in your mind:

9|21|Their Lord giveth them good tidings of mercy from Him, and acceptance, and Gardens where enduring pleasure will be theirs.

50|35|There they have all that they desire, and there is more with Us.

42|22|Thou seest the wrong-doers fearful of that which they have earned, and it will surely befall them; while those who believe and do good works (will be) in flowering meadows of the Gardens, having what they wish from their Lord. This is the great preferment.

76|20|When thou seest, thou wilt see there bliss and high estate.

moegypt

Hey, a reasonable explanation at last:bow:. Or at least more so than what I usually hear. The only trouble with this one is that wasn't Satan an angel? And if I remember correctly angels don't have free will and must do as god bids? If that's the case then how could Satan break any of God's rules?

In Qur'an:

18|50|And (remember) when We said unto the angels: Fall prostrate before Adam, and they fell prostrate, all save Iblis. He was of the Jinn, so he rebelled against his Lord's command. Will ye choose him and his seed for your protecting friends instead of Me, when they are an enemy unto you? Calamitous is the exchange for evil doers!

Satan is not angel, He is jinn.

Sola*5

I don't know of any scripture that says angels do not have a will. There purpose is to serve God and to do His bidding but I am not aware of this being programmed into them.