• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Truth or Propoganda?

Man of Faith

Christianity has a proven track record of coexisting with other religions and the nonreligious. Freedom to not believe in God or obey the Bible’s commandments is a right given to people by God.

A

angellous_evangellous

Christianity has a proven track record of coexisting with other religions and the nonreligious.

MoF, if you're going to make up something, it's wise to at least make up something that doesn't go against common knowledge and experience.

Even most idiots know that Christianity's "proven track record of coexisting" is hardly positive, because almost everyone has come under the ire of Christianity's almost infinite intolerances - whether the person is a run-of-the-mill dummy or has even an elementary knowledge of history.

Man of Faith

MoF, if you're going to make up something, it's wise to at least make up something that doesn't go against common knowledge and experience.

Even most idiots know that Christianity's "proven track record of coexisting" is hardly positive, because almost everyone has come under the ire of Christianity's almost infinite intolerances - whether the person is a run-of-the-mill dummy or has even an elementary knowledge of history.

Trying to save society from anarchy and self-destruction is an honorable goal. Everybody has intolerances so that doesn't say much. Should I tolerate things that I consider wrong, should you? Would you tolerate being forced to worship a certain way? Christians live side by side in peace with Muslims and atheists. That doesn't mean that everybody has the same goals for society.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Christianity has a proven track record of coexisting with other religions and the nonreligious. Freedom to not believe in God or obey the Bible’s commandments is a right given to people by God.
Its record is a mixed bag.
Fortunately, in the small world of Revoltifarians we find that Xians get along pretty well with everyone.
But things are otherwise at other times & places.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hmmmm, you may have a point. I am a ninja, you know.
Okay. I'm done hijacking another thread and making it all about me. You all can now go back to your regular programming.
You have my approval to hijack any thread as you wish.
Your mirth & good cheer please me....& avoid my wrath.
(My wrath is pretty lame, btw.)

waitasec

Veteran Member
Trying to save society from anarchy and self-destruction is an honorable goal. Everybody has intolerances so that doesn't say much. Should I tolerate things that I consider wrong, should you? Would you tolerate being forced to worship a certain way? Christians live side by side in peace with Muslims and atheists. That doesn't mean that everybody has the same goals for society.

yet you say
Freedom to not believe in God or obey the Bible’s commandments is a right given to people by God.

you don't know what your saying... :foot:

who's being forced to worship a certain way?

A

angellous_evangellous

Dude, that's the least that you have to worry about.

The only time in history that Christians weren't destroying stuff and killing people was during the first 300 years. Christian's weren't even tolerant then, but at least they were the ones being killed and abused rather than the other way around.

I'm afraid that Christianity's track record of "co-existing" exists only in your uninformed and highly naive mind.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
I'm afraid that Christianity's track record of "co-existing" exists only in your uninformed and highly naive mind.
Spoken like a heretic. It's been marked by intolerance since probably the mid-second century and certainly by the time Ireneus comes along. It's "orthodox" forms just didn't have much power to kill their enemies like it would get later through it's marriage to the Empire.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Is this poster true or just propaganda?

It's true that it's humorous, because it's underlying message has a strong element of truth to it. It's not meant to be an academic primer on various worldviews, but rather a comment pointing out the apparent silliness of the idea of conflicting ideologies "coexisting." A rather simple and effective comment at that.

A

angellous_evangellous

doppelgänger;2649301 said:
Spoken like a heretic. It's been marked by intolerance since probably the mid-second century and certainly by the time Ireneus comes along. It's "orthodox" forms just didn't have much power to kill their enemies like it would get later through it's marriage to the Empire.

Yeah, it's hard to speak of "Christianity" as a single unit before the "orthodox" forms crushed everyone else. There definitely was some seed of intolerance (if you will) that was already in the proto-orthodox forms before they expressed it in force (killings, book burning, forbidding non-orthodox forms to own property, etc) in the 4th/5th century.

Before its union with Rome, Christianities had to co-exist and were persecuted together, even though they did not tolerate each other (well, at least the bishops, the church members were not as strict, usually).

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
So, the (very) old Jewish joke goes:
A young Jewish man gets stranded on an island for a number of years. When found, folks discovered that he built not one but two synagogus. They asked him why. He replied:
The first is the synagogue where I go to pray. The second is the one I wouldn't step foot in.
Tolerance is not humanity's strongpoint.