• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trying To Understand Atheism

jonathan180iq

Forgive my confusion,
Backed off that last line of attack pretty quickly, eh?

the entire point of this thread was that non belief is, in fact, belief in the negative.
Which is what I as trying to get you to admit, eventually. So I'm glad we're finally here.

Why wouldn't you just title your thread something more honest? Like, "I have an unwavering idea about what the atheist position entails and I'm not really trying to learn or understand anything else about it!"

That you argued with me while agreeing with that main point is in no way my fault.
You misunderstand my position and intent, again.

You're more than welcome to come in and say "yes, I agree with the OP."
I was not interested in doing that.

ArtieE

Forgive my confusion, the entire point of this thread was that non belief is, in fact, belief in the negative.
Which is obviously wrong since if a person says "gods exist" I can say "I don't believe that" and if a second person says "gods don't exist" I can say "I don't believe that either." I can just say I haven't made up my mind what to believe.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Backed off that last line of attack pretty quickly, eh?

Which is what I as trying to get you to admit, eventually. So I'm glad we're finally here.

Why wouldn't you just title your thread something more honest? Like, "I have an unwavering idea about what the atheist position entails and I'm not really trying to learn or understand anything else about it!"

You misunderstand my position and intent, again.

I was not interested in doing that.

Well this is so inconsistent it's giving me a migraine. Funny how my once empty ignore list is now my troll/fundamentalist zone, yet it's only atheists.

MonkeyFire

Faith, and skepticism are dual opposites. There is a burden of proof to atheist as much as there is to believers.

ArtieE

Faith, and skepticism are dual opposites. There is a burden of proof to atheist as much as there is to believers.
No there isn't. When a theist says "gods exist" and the atheist says "I'm skeptical, do you have any proof?" the theist can't say "do you have any proof gods don't exist?" to the atheist. The theist has the burden of proof.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Truth is something that gets many a person put on ignore.
So it seems that you have to choose between truth and being ignored.

Years ago I had a crazy ex-girlfriend who harassed me for months. Eventually, she punished me by ignoring me. Curiously, it didn't drive me to try to get her back.

I increasingly see repeated themes throughout life as I get older.

Premium Member
No there isn't. When a theist says "gods exist" and the atheist says "I'm skeptical, do you have any proof?" the theist can't say "do you have any proof gods don't exist?" to the atheist. The theist has the burden of proof.

Ok, what if the theist says they believe god exists? That's not really a claim, it's a statement of ones belief. I bet the theist would still be asked to defend that belief in god. Now, if the atheist says that there is no reason to believe in god, this implies they believe the universe is godless. It's not a claim, just like the theists isn't. But if the theist has to support such a belief, so does the atheist.

jonathan180iq

Well this is so inconsistent it's giving me a migraine. Funny how my once empty ignore list is now my troll/fundamentalist zone, yet it's only atheists.
Questioning your logic and getting you to admit your intentions is not trolling - it's challenging.

If you choose to place all challengers on your ignore list, I imagine this forum will start appearing as a much more agreeable place for you.

I think difficult challenges to positions are necessary for growth - but that's just me.

ArtieE

Ok, what if the theist says they believe god exists? That's not really a claim, it's a statement of ones belief. I bet the theist would still be asked to defend that belief in god. Now, if the atheist says that there is no reason to believe in god, this implies they believe the universe is godless. It's not a claim, just like the theists isn't. But if the theist has to support such a belief, so does the atheist.
A theist has the belief that there are one or more gods, the weak atheist doesn't have that belief. Neither does the weak atheist have the belief that gods don't exist. The strong atheist has the belief that gods don't exist. The only people here who have the burden of proof is the theist and the strong atheist. Not the weak atheist.

jonathan180iq

Just had this conversation with my 9 year old yesterday.

We were having lunch at his school and I used the example of a purple dragon sitting around the corner, just out of view. His first reaction was to be skeptical of my claim. I then asked him to prove to me that it wasn't there. He looked at me quizzically, walked over and looked, and came back satisfied that he had defeated me.

Ah, but if only adult conversations could be as productive.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Personally, as an atheist, I do not bother asking theists to prove that they believe.
I am fine with taking their word for it.

Premium Member
A theist has the belief that there are one or more gods, the weak atheist doesn't have that belief. Neither does the weak atheist have the belief that gods don't exist. The strong atheist has the belief that gods don't exist. The only people here who have the burden of proof is the theist and the strong atheist. Not the weak atheist.

I disagree. The strong atheist is clearing to KNOW there is no god, the weak atheist believes there are no gods. The difference is in the very fact that weak atheism admits it doesn't know with certainty, and is willing to change.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
If you do not have any reasonable expectation of any gods exist, why can you not say "I believe there are no gods?" They're the same thing.
I normally do say there are no gods. Seriously, it's a mood thingy. I see no reason to get bent out of shape over an issue of semantics.

For the record, I am, by your definition, a strong atheist. :)

ArtieE

I disagree. The strong atheist is clearing to KNOW there is no god
Nonsense, that is a gnostic atheist.
the weak atheist believes there are no gods.
Nonsense again a strong atheist believes there are no gods.
The difference is in the very fact that weak atheism admits it doesn't know with certainty
Nonsense again, a person who doesn't know with certainty is an agnostic.

Seriously, read some beginners guide online about atheism and agnosticism.

Last edited: