• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV has gone to crap!

It has happened with the History Channel and SyFy. I remember when the History Channel showed actual history rather then reality shows. We used to have epic Sci Fi space operas like Battlestar Galactica and Babylon 5. Now we have crappy horror movies from SyFy. Just what the hell happened? Did the network executives decide Americans attention spans wouldn't handle epic space operas?

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Yeah, it's pretty bad. MTV really needs to change its name. The zombie show that SyFy is going to have looks promising, though.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I knew there was a reason why I didn't watch TV anymore. I only watch reruns of Star Trek, M*A*S*H, and an occasional program on MeTV and COZI-TV.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I do like some reality shows but i do get really sick at the fact that all the " specialized " channels are all spewing the same constant garbage of Fake Hillbillys, Child exploitation aka Toddlers and Tiras , Fake Cowboys, Over dramatization by god awful actors in survival shows and what not, Fake Ghost hunter shows. .....ugh. The list goes on. Yea. Bring back the material that actually applies to the channels name.

Definitely. TV sucks now. Anyone suspect Honey Boo Boo as being the program director for all cabledom?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Huh? It's better than ever...even though Seinfeld,
The Wire, Breaking Bad & Deadwood have expired.
We still have:
Downton Abbey
The Simpsons, starring Groundskeeper Willie
The Bridge
Orange Is The New Black
Ray Donovan
Modern Family
The Walking Dead

The majority of TV has always sucked.
The secret is to watch the stuff you like,
but skip what you hate.

Last edited:

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Are you sure that TV is actually as bad as you say it is; or are you looking at things with a pair of nostalgia goggles?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Like a certain forum........
I heard that!

And for your northerly viewing pleasure....
tumblr_lgzbjy8rfb1qh59n0o1_500.gif

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Do you all have recorders? Can you set em up to catch everything that you like? Then you can fast-forward thru the adverts?
In Engladistan we only have about 100 free channels, but all that lot must total circa 10000 hours of telly to choose from.
You all probably get much more than that. :)

RitalinOhD

Heathen Humanist
Huh? It's better than ever...even though Seinfeld,
The Wire, Breaking Bad & Deadwood have expired.
We still have:
Downton Abbey
The Simpsons, starring Groundskeeper Willie
The Bridge
Orange Is The New Black
Ray Donovan
Modern Family
The Walking Dead

The secret is to watch the stuff you like,
but skip what you hate.

Deadwood is one of the best shows ever created. Really wish it had gone more than 3 seasons.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
It has happened with the History Channel and SyFy. I remember when the History Channel showed actual history rather then reality shows. We used to have epic Sci Fi space operas like Battlestar Galactica and Babylon 5. Now we have crappy horror movies from SyFy. Just what the hell happened? Did the network executives decide Americans attention spans wouldn't handle epic space operas?

Love then scary movies.....and the science fiction....and you are right!

Some of those SyFy flicks are sooooooooooo stupid!

And I am soooooooooo offended!

Can't even find a good ninja flick anymore.

and seriously.....I'm thinking about dumping all but basic internet.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm having a great time with the Simpsons marathon on FXX.'
Every episode ever made over 12 days!

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
I gather Under the Dome has run to a second series.
Call me picky but I stopped watching halfway through the first because it degenerated into a boring unbelievable soap

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
Doctor Who has gone downhill too in recent years mostly because Smith and Tennant came across as shallow hyper overgrown schoolboys.
New Doc Capaldi seems a bit more mature so let's hope he can lift the show out of its childish "comic book" image.
Better still, the BBC should scrap it and pour the cash into a remake of the classic Blakes Seven series.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Heck, we don't need to watch TV anymore. We have DVDs, You tube, streaming shows, etc. We can be more selective. I don't watch much more outside of Star Trek reruns, M*A*S*H reruns, The Waltons reruns, and reruns of Magnum PI. Once in a while I will watch old reruns of Mork and Mindy, WKRP in Cincinatti, Barney Miller, and a couple of others but not all the time. I don't even watch TV everday. I prefer a good book and some music.