• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV has gone to crap!

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
TV shows are now competing for attention with video and computer games. As TV becomes more interactive, some channels will simply become the game tool itself.

I hate those violent games, not sure if I am going to be very happy in that world, but I have some control over the remote, but not entirely.

I think news cable has improved and I appreciate the 24 hour format of news, of weather channels. In the old Sunday Chronicle newspaper there use to be a pull out called the "pink section" on pink paper that would list all the local art, play, museum, dance, entertainment, festivals, etc. events. There is today webpages, but I wish there was a TV channel like the "pink section" with "sneek peeks" and dives and short clips on this theme readily available one click away using the TV remote. The old pink sectiion and its articles gave me the chance to discover my type of things locally such as Bharatnatyam Dances, bird walks, museum stuff, good plays and shows. I would think there would be good money in such a channel too for those who would want to promote their event, but the problem is I want it to be local events such as "Bay Area", so that makes it problematic but perhaps a Weather Channel approach would be nice having a mix of local, regional and national.

As far as "good", options and huge, broad, godzilla sized channel listings are a dream for me because there was a time when I only had 3 channels, 1 more for local, 1 public, and then came VHF. So I call the huge channel selection "good" in my view. Just like I LOVE cellphones for example, which didn't exist in my day. Personal computers, all surts of electronic gadgets and new TV's I love it.

For the quality of shows, that is a tuff call for me, as I don't watch that much TV actially to say. Meaning "shows"... some of these lists of shows others are giving, I have no idea and have never watched them. I love the broad selection, and when I do watch, I watch those I find might be good from the list.

But I do have fond love for the old shows such as the original Star Trek. I loved Columbo. SCTV. Johnny Carson, too, with Ed. As for the new "reality" shows, I liked Ice Road Trickers but I am not sure if that is on the air anymore. I did get into Amedican Idol back when Jason Castro was competing but I don't even watch that now (is it still on the "air"? And what does "air" mean in this day and age?) ....

I loved Courage the Cowardly Dog.

Soon there will be so many channels, even RF will have a TV channel but it won't be a Religious Forums but instead it will be members where each member gets to play bit parts in the serial soap opera that will include all sorts of intrigue, love and hate stories, even evil ISIS character, on a religious twist to the episodes or "opera", and a few would becume cult idols like Revoltingest and Vinayaka or Poeticus. However some would commit suicide perhaps. But it is the future of TV.

Speaking of soap operas and TV selection with so many channels, I watch "Indian Television" such as ZeeTV. I admit I get attached to some of those Indian soap operas. There are some gorgeous gals on there too. But also plots of "put poison in the milk" type stuff to steal ownership of the house, you understand? .... but not as bad as those violent video games.

zee_tv_jodha-akbar-10-205x300.jpg

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Heck, we don't need to watch TV anymore. We have DVDs, You tube, streaming shows, etc. We can be more selective. I don't watch much more outside of Star Trek reruns, M*A*S*H reruns, The Waltons reruns, and reruns of Magnum PI. Once in a while I will watch old reruns of Mork and Mindy, WKRP in Cincinatti, Barney Miller, and a couple of others but not all the time. I don't even watch TV everday. I prefer a good book and some music.
Yea. I think pre- programming via network and cable will soon die out altogether and morph into a venue where the programming schedule will be be determined by the viewer through selection. Most of my entertainment is through the internet where I can select my favorites on the fly at anytime as opposed to the rigid schedules found on cable and network venues.

Good riddence to the networks I say. It's nice to immediately view what your in the mood for any day, any time without having to wait for it to come about via programming schedules.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
..."morph into a venue where the programming schedule will be be determined by the viewer through selection"

Yeah, I like that idea NM.

Now we have DVRs too, I never got a TiVo device, though I did get pretty good with a Win-TV card in computers and using computer programs I wrote to record shows based on a schedule. But the problem with that approach is you have to research the channel lineup and schedule times prior, too much work.

I luv the idea of "On Demand", just pick what you watch right there from a list and watch it bingo.

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
Heck, we don't need to watch TV anymore. We have DVDs, You tube, streaming shows, etc.

Yeah there's some great stuff on youtube, especially classics like the Twilight Zone, a couple of episodes that spring to mind are "Cradle of Darkness" where a woman is sent back in time to kill the newborn baby Hitler to prevent him growing up and starting WW2-
The Twilight Zone: Season 1 Episode 5 Cradle of Darkness (2 Oct. 2002) - YouTube

And "The Once and Future King" where a guy accidentally gets thrown back in time to 1950's America and hitches a ride in a passing truck that just happens to be driven by the young Elvis before he became famous-
http://youtu.be/-xmU-L5wxa0