• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Types of Spells

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
All sources are teachers if you know where to look. Have you ever read the 2nd Edition monster manual? I mean... come on. The thing was compiled based on obscure folklore...

Erebus

All sources are teachers if you know where to look. Have you ever read the 2nd Edition monster manual? I mean... come on. The thing was compiled based on obscure folklore...

You know, I've never really looked into DnD. I was always more into wargaming (who wouldn't want to own an army of the undead?) but maybe I should pay more attention to it.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

@Quintessence

I have a question for you (and maybe others to)? I haven't done spell organizing before; and, I find it a good idea to start doing. I actually dont write my spells; so, that can be an issue. Im thinking of doing that. When you write out your spells (in a general or made up sense, I guess) do you write something like your motive, element, action, where, when, and how type of thing? Then you organize it by D&D or however method you choose?

I know its up to the user. Im assuming there is a kinda loose structure that some people use as an option just as one may use D&D or whatever method to organize the spells onece written

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
When it comes to spellcraft, I don't write out individual spells (though perhaps I should somewhere) because they are one-shots. They'll be used once, and then never again. What I do instead is create files about specific techniques with guidelines for how to approach it. If you have a solid framework you operate from, it becomes relatively simple to create things on the fly (especially if you have practiced it often). The general framework for writing up a spell I drafted up in the Book was this:
  • Objective
  • Spell Classification
  • Material Components
  • Methods
    • Preparation
    • Opening
    • Body
    • Closing
  • Operational Justification
I use pretty much this same framework for writing rituals, which I do write out formally because they get used multiple times. On the whole, the approach is similar to the scientific method, which I do in part because of my background in the sciences. Operational justification is a big one for me, because it's a peeve of mine that this is omitted in much of the literature. Operational justification is a fancy way of saying "why are you doing it that way?" This involves thinking about the metaphysical assumptions inherent to your worldview and which ones you want to use for the spell. Sometimes I get the impression this gets left out because the authors themselves are ignorant of how these assumptions impact spell design and operation. :sweat: