• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U2 ~ In the Name of Love (Jesus Christ)

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Well, sure....and I doubt Bono would mind differing interpretations. ;)

Well, sure, that's why I don't say that differing interpretations is a bad thing.

I've always taken the song to be about both men...Jesus and MLK. Both came in the name of love and died for it.

Sort of. I think it's showing how MLK is like Jesus, but overall the point is about MLK, not Jesus.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Sort of. I think it's showing how MLK is like Jesus, but overall the point is about MLK, not Jesus.
You know, I've got to give you props where they're due. I checked the U2 website (of which I'm a member) regarding the inspiration for the lyrics of Pride. Sounds like the bulk of the message in the song is about MLK.

Frubals for you....I've always thought the tune was about Jesus as well. However, it bothered me that the song had the words, "one man" so often. Didn't seem to fit if Bono was talking about Jesus and MLK.

U2.com > Pride

FFH

Veteran Member
Paul David Hewson (Bono) believes in and has faith in Jesus Christ for his salvation.

Bono Talks About The Song: Jesus Christ (HQ)

U2 - Jesus Christ (Woody Guthrie cover & tribute)

Bono: A Conversation About Christianity

Pope John Paul II tries on Bono's sun glasses
Bono%20and%20the%20Pope.jpg

bono_pope2.jpg

bono-and-the-pope-1.jpg

Last edited:

Buttercup

Veteran Member
FFH, I don't think it's a secret that Bono is Christian but I think the OP was about the song Pride wasn't it? Did you read the link from the U2 website saying the song was about MLK and not Jesus?

FFH

Veteran Member
Exodus 2006 - Paul Hewson (Bible Code)

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Paul Hewson (Bono from U2)[/FONT]​

Hewson1a.gif

Hewson1b.gif

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This matrix has 'Bono' twice, and is crossed by 'Irish/Irishman' and is overwritten by 'Catholic' [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]'Irish/Irishman' shows 3 times. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]'eye' + 'shading' appears next to the main term (Bono never goes out without his shades on). [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The matrix also crosses Psalms 98.6[/FONT]

Psalms 98.6
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]With trumpets and sound of cornet make a joyful noise before the Lord, the King.[/FONT]

Last edited:

FFH

Veteran Member
FFH, I don't think it's a secret that Bono is Christian but I think the OP was about the song Pride wasn't it? Did you read the link from the U2 website saying the song was about MLK and not Jesus?
The song Pride (In the Name of Love) which you insist on just calling "Pride" is about Jesus and all those who have sacrificed and given their lives to insure the freedoms we all enjoy.

Do more research on that song.

Did you watch this video ???

Last edited:

Buttercup

Veteran Member
The song Pride (In the Name of Love) which you insist on just calling "Pride" is about Jesus and all those who have sacrificed and given their lives to insure the freedoms we all enjoy.

Do more research on that song.

Did you watch this video ???

Look, I'm an enormous fan of U2 and have seen them in concert at least 12 times. Bono introduces that particular song as "Pride" every time.

And yes, I did watch the video. I didn't see anywhere where Bono said what you wrote above. Where did you get that particular quote from?

FFH

Veteran Member
Gives me chills...

U2 - All I Want Is You (Jesus)

There are three crosses at the end of this video as the band walks away.

This song is not about what most people think it's about.

It's about his (Paul's and the band's) longing for Christ.

Clever Christian song artists.

Last edited:

FFH

Veteran Member
A clever Christian song artist.

U2 - One Tree Hill

In the hands of one (JESUS)
whose blood still cries
From the ground

I'll see you again (JESUS)
When the stars fall from the sky
And the moon has turned red (blood)
Over One Tree Hill

Doctrine and Covenants 29: 14 (LDS scripture)
But, behold, I say unto you that before this great day shall come the sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall be turned into blood, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and there shall be greater signs in heaven above and in the earth beneath;

Joel 2
31 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood (red), before the great and the terrible day of the Lord come.
32 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance as the Lord hath said, and in the remnant whom the Lord shall call.

Acts 2
20 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come:
21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Revelation 6: 12
And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Veteran Member
You know, FFH.....I have one last thing to say....

I've nominated you twice for an award for the tolerance and kindness you show to others on the forum. You've deserved recognition for as long as I've been here and I sincerely hope an award is granted to you.

However, this is the last time I'm participating in one of your threads. You aren't here on RF to discuss. You are here to sermonize and proselytize your faith. You aren't interested in discussing ideas. I've never seen you give another person an inch, it's all about you, all the time. I've had enough of your stubbornness and close mindedness. It's just not worth it to me anymore.

FFH

Veteran Member
I'm pretty sure that song is about his girlfriend (now wife) Ali. :D He does write songs for her you know. Nothing wrong with that. :)
It's not about his wife, it's about Jesus Christ.

Clever Christian song artists

U2 - All I Want Is You (Jesus)

All I (Jesus Christ) want(s) is you (us)

You (Jesus) say you'll give me
A highway with no one on it
Treasure just to look upon it
All the riches in the night (Paul's wife could never give him "all the riches" of this world, only Jesus can)

You (Jesus) say you'll give me
Eyes in a moon of blindness
A river in a time of dryness
A harbour in the tempest

Matthew 8: 24
And, behold, there arose a great tempest in the sea, insomuch that the ship was covered with the waves: but he (Jesus) was asleep.

Last edited:

FFH

Veteran Member
Another great song about Jesus Christ's love for us.

U2 - With Or Without You

A song about man's struggle to break free from this world.

Through the storm, we reach the shore (a reference to Matthew 8: 24)
You (Paul) gave it all but I (Jesus Christ) want more
and I'm (I, Jesus Christ, am) waiting for you

With or without you (Paul)
With or without you.
I (Jesus Christ) can't live with or without you.

And you (Jesus Christ) give yourself away
And you give yourself away
And you give, and you give
And you give yourself away.

My (Jesus Christ's) hands are tied, my (Jesus Christ's) body bruised (a refrence to Jesus Christ's scourging and crucifixion)
She´s got me with nothing to win
And nothing left to lose.

And you (Jesus Christ) give yourself away
And you give yourself away
And you give, and you give
And you give yourself away.

FFH quote "Jesus will go on living with or without us, but he'd rather have us live with him".

It makes him (Jesus Christ) sad to see so many reject him, thus the statment, "I can't live with or without you".

It pains Jesus Christ to witness and know that so many will suffer in hell, unecessarily.

Last edited:

FFH

Veteran Member
We're not a bunch of apes, descended from primates, we're designed by, and patterned after, our ETERNAL FATHER.

Another clever Christian song.

U2 - Original Of The Species

Paul's singing in the first person, as and for, God (Jesus Christ and our Eternal Father, our creators), speaking to us collectively, showing us that we are uniquely designed and patterned after him, our ETERNAL Father.

Last edited:

FFH

Veteran Member
This song was meant to be listened to with Paul singing as the first person of, and for, Jesus Christ.

U2 ~ All I Want is You (Jesus)

We ignoranyly assume singers are singing just for, and in behalf of, themselves, but there's almost always a second and third dynamic to each song, switching from first person, second and third person.

The singer often sings as the first, second and third person.

One singer singing three parts, playing three roles, three people.

1) him or herself
2) listener (us)
3) others, for example, the Lord (Jesus Christ), God, etc.

I am Ensign70000 on YouTube.

David Howell Evens (The Edge) has crosses plastered all over his shirt.
u2-2.jpg

Last edited: