• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Umm... sup?

Bob Dixon

>implying
Good morning. I'm Bob Dixon.
I'm new here.
And...
... I hope we can understand each other.

Some things about me (in the context of this forum, of course):
I'm Christian (and slightly Sufi, haha). I seek God, both through my own religion and through others. I'm not quick to reject something just because I'ven't been taught it all my life. I take only the Gospels as a supreme authority for how I will live my life, though I respect the Torah, the Tanakh, the writings of Paul, the Qur'an, the Vedas, the Sutras, etc. I want to read them and understand their point of view as well.

See you around, guys.

rsd

ACBSP77
Some things about me (in the context of this forum, of course): ...I'm Christian (and slightly Sufi, haha). I seek God, both through my own religion and through others. I'm not quick to reject something just because I'ven't been taught it all my life. I take only the Gospels as a supreme authority for how I will live my life, though I respect the Torah, the Tanakh, the writings of Paul, the Qur'an, the Vedas, the Sutras, etc. I want to read them and understand their point of view as well.

Reading what you just wrote. On one hand you say you also seek God through other religions, have an open mind, but then make the statement that the Gospels are the only supreme authority you will follow. That just struck me as an odd position for a humble seeker. But more important, thank you for posting your thoughts. Gives us all an opportunity to comment and contemplate.

Bob Dixon

>implying
Reading what you just wrote. On one hand you say you also seek God through other religions, have an open mind, but then make the statement that the Gospels are the only supreme authority you will follow. That just struck me as an odd position for a humble seeker. But more important, thank you for posting your thoughts. Gives us all an opportunity to comment and contemplate.

Oh, ahaha, sorry!
That was worded a bit awkwardly.
I accept the Gospels as the only Christian authority which have truly divine words. The rest of the New Testament is, to me, commentary, and the Old Testament is, to me, context. I should've said, "I follow the words of the Christ in the Gospels, as opposed to the other parts of the Bible". I don't disregard other texts, though, no way!

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi Bob, welcome to RF.
icon14.gif

rsd

ACBSP77
Oh, ahaha, sorry!
That was worded a bit awkwardly.
I accept the Gospels as the only Christian authority which have truly divine words. The rest of the New Testament is, to me, commentary, and the Old Testament is, to me, context. I should've said, "I follow the words of the Christ in the Gospels, as opposed to the other parts of the Bible". I don't disregard other texts, though, no way!

Great, thanks for the clarification. By the way, I really like Alan Ames' book (a trilogy) titled, "Through The Eyes of Jesus." I accept Jesus' words in this book, for several reasons. But that's just me. It is such a sweet book.

Last edited:

Bob Dixon

>implying
Great, thanks for the clarification. By the way, I really like Alan Ames' book (a trilogy) titled, "Through The Eyes of Jesus." I accept Jesus' words in this book, for several reasons. But that's just me. It is such a sweet book.

I've never heard of this book, but it sounds very interesting.
Can you give me a small overview and some of these reasons? Thanks!

I might check it out.