• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

[un]veiled discontent

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
From CNN:
Yemeni women burn veils to protest regime​

Sanaa, Yemen (CNN) -- Yemeni women defiantly burned their traditional veils Wednesday in protest of President Ali Abdullah Saleh's brutal crackdown on anti-government demonstrations.

Thousands of women gathered in the capital, Sanaa, said witnesses. They carried banners that read: "Saleh the butcher is killing women and is proud of it" and "Women have no value in the eyes in Ali Saleh."

They collected their veils and scarves in a huge pile and set it ablaze -- an act that is highly symbolic in the conservative Islamic nation, where women use their veils to cover their faces and bodies. It's the first time in the nine months of Yemen's uprising that such an event has occurred.

Inspired by Yemeni activist Tawakkol Karman's Nobel Peace Prize this month, more and more Yemeni women have taken to the streets and escalated their campaign for help from the international community.
What remarkable courage!

Levite

Higher and Higher
Good for them! I hope their actions get them the freedoms they deserve, and that they don't end up martyrs for their just cause....

Bismillah

Submit
While I found the article a bit misleading I loved this part
"We will not stay quiet and will defend ourselves if our men can't defend us," Nasser said. "Tribes must understand they will not be respected by Yemeni women if they stay quiet while their women are being attacked by the Saleh regime. Tribes who ignore our calls are cowards and have no dignity."

muslim-

I think the way its perceived by many in the west (veil being a symbol of oppression) isnt really connected to how the women themselves viewed it at all.

This was reported also on conservative Islamic websites even, with images of them fully covered, burning the veils.

2222.jpg

It is a tribal practice in Yemen in particular, and a form of saying "we need help" , knowing the tribal mentality, I suspect it could also mean "You arent men" if you dont help us.

It was done to protest attacks of the regime that attacked even women among the protestors, which is why when interviewing some of them, it was made clear that it was their form of asking help from the tribes, which are very, very powerful in Yemen. They said "tribes that dont stand up for us, are cowards and without honor", and that "what president Saleh is doing, is against the tribal traditions"

The tribes, although armed, try to keep the protests peaceful, especially that everyone there is armed, and tribal conflicts can happen, not to mention sectarian disputes, and disputes with those in favor of a "southern Yemen".

Also, tribes are very conservative, even the ones who arent religious. Theres many that are conservative but not religious.

So anyway its a tribal practice there and has nothing to do with how how some who are unfamiliar with the region view it (veil being a sign of oppression, therefore burned).

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I think the way its perceived by many in the west (veil being a symbol of oppression) isnt really connected to how the women themselves viewed it at all.

This was reported also on conservative Islamic websites even, with images of them fully covered, burning the veils.

2222.jpg

It is a tribal practice in Yemen in particular, and a form of saying "we need help" , knowing the tribal mentality, I suspect it could also mean "You arent men" if you dont help us.

It was done to protest attacks of the regime that attacked even women among the protestors, which is why when interviewing some of them, it was made clear that it was their form of asking help from the tribes, which are very, very powerful in Yemen. They said "tribes that dont stand up for us, are cowards and without honor", and that "what president Saleh is doing, is against the tribal traditions"

The tribes, although armed, try to keep the protests peaceful, especially that everyone there is armed, and tribal conflicts can happen, not to mention sectarian disputes, and disputes with those in favor of a "southern Yemen".

Also, tribes are very conservative, even the ones who arent religious. Theres many that are conservative but not religious.

So anyway its a tribal practice there and has nothing to do with how how some who are unfamiliar with the region view it (veil being a sign of oppression, therefore burned).

Thanks for this enlightening perspective.