• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unbridled Liberty

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I am an atheist agnostic and I am not all that big on the sort of liberty (i.e. negative liberty) the OP is suggesting atheists are.
"Negative liberty" is a terrible name. It connotes the opposite of liberty, & makes me think of tyranny, fascism, & statism.
Looking up some definitions, I'll venture some alternatives:

Liberty - to describe freedom from interference from others, especially by government (what you call "negative liberty")

Assisted liberty - to describe the provision of resources to enjoy "liberty" (what you call positive liberty)

The root of atheism is the apparent non-existence of god/s. It's a very simple concept and doesn't require any further armchair psychoanalysis.
Pbbbbtbtbbbtttt! What fun is that?! (Are most Canadians such killjoys?)

Last edited:

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Is this the root of atheism?
Nope

Submitting to no higher authorities than oneself
Nope

If one doesn't believe in the existence of god/s for which there is no evidence, then why should you submit to something in which you don't believe?
Uh huh...

So you only submit to yourself whom you are very sure.
I'm not sure of myself anymore than anything else.

What about submit to higher truth?
You mean string theory? Quantum mechanics?

Perhaps, one can only submit to truth he can comprehend. Well that makes him ignorant of higher truth.
I believe in a lot of things that don't make sense to me.

You know, all of this could be summed up in a single post.

crocusj

When we were immature, we were not able to comprehend some truths. The higher truths are lived when one becomes knows more, feels more and experiences more. Evidence of One Deity comes as a result of continuous grow towards maturity via an individual's endless search for what is true. Through evolution, Science grows, philosophy enlarges, and religion progresses. The end result is one Deity: the Original cause of science, the Unity of religion, and the loving Father of religion.
Or not. Indeed, if this search is endless then any truth is ipso facto unattainable.

Tonymai

Lonesome Religionist
Maturity can be attained by stages, truth knowing by pieces, and Deity experiences by steps.

Last edited:

Tonymai

Lonesome Religionist
He or she who submits to higher truth finds only themselves recast as deity.

Perhaps, such human has too high opinion of himself. Can we realize that our intelligence is only finite, and the intelligence of God is infinite? We can even comprehend what infinite intelligence is.