• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Under Judaism, what happens to faithful and unfaithful Jews when they die?

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
Opinions vary. Personally, I suspect that I will simply die.

You might find this article interesting.

Interesting article. I was surprised to see a contribution by author Max Brooks included! I've read and enjoyed his apocalyptic zombie books, but I've never read anything quite as (humorously) philosophical as his contribution to this article.

I was wondering whether any of the contributors might bring up the story about how all the bodies of Jewish buried dead are supposed to roll underground towards Jerusalem when Moshiach ushers in the Messianic Age. I remembered that one from childhood, and it always intrigued me as a child in a macabre sort of way. I was delighted to see this contributed by Tudor Parfitt, professor of modern Jewish history at the University of London.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Interesting article.

Interesting magazine.

As for the article, I rather liked the comments made by Amy-Jill Levine. For example:

Jewish and Christian views developed in dialogue and debate with each other. ..., the more the Church emphasized salvation and damnation, the more the Jewish community emphasized sanctification of daily life.​

I should note that I'm a bit of an Amy-Jill Levine fan. I've particularly appreciated The Jewish Annotated New Testament (edited by Levine and Marc Zvi Brettler).