• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Understanding Past Lives

cardero

Citizen Mod
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtkWwSFSK64

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp6xGd0Ng9c&feature=related

Does this constitute evidence of past lives?

Could hypnotic regression really help us to realize who we once were in a past life?

How does someone recall in detail about a time they have never been to; a person they have never met; a death they have never witnessed; a friend that died before they were born?

If no other value could be established to knowing other lifetimes could an understanding of past lives at least help to alleviate our fears, pains or other medical symptoms?

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I used to watch unsolved mysteries all the time with my mom during the summer when I was little. :D

I definately don't think it prooves anything. I wouldn't call it evidence. He could have looked it up somewhere. I think he was trying to explain his phobia, and probably went to the library before his "hypnosis." He probably looked up stuff, and anything he couldn't find info on, he made up, because he wanted to have had a past life.

Sorry.... I'm just really skeptical of everything. I don't believe in souls, so I don't see how past lives could be even remotely possible.

If I was that old lady, or someone who had been related to the guy, I'd be offended if some guy pretended to know all of that and pretended to be his reincarnated soul or whatever...

I wonder how that guy ever took a shower...

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Check out Dr. Brian Weiss' "Many Lives, Many Masters" - An account of how his hypnotherapy patient regressed into many different lives on many different sessions and helped her with her phobias.

Since then he's written a few more books, though none of which I've read.

abhimanyu

Check out Dr. Brian Weiss' "Many Lives, Many Masters" - An account of how his hypnotherapy patient regressed into many different lives on many different sessions and helped her with her phobias.

Since then he's written a few more books, though none of which I've read.

Yes , it is an excellent book. Most of these phobias, according to Dr. Weiss, stems from traumatic past life experiences.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
I personally feel it's unlikely that past life traumas would have a big enough impact on this life, or following ones to create phobias, though not impossible. I think perhaps different people have different... sensitivities in that regard. However, I don't necessarily think that *IF* these phobias were created from past life traumas, they can only be cured by way of past life regression. I don't feel it's necessary as a part of this experience of life, however it can be helpful.

And it would be interesting to see if there are more hypnotherapists with such experiences, and if it's possible to show any evidence of past lives. I suppose if many people were able to re-member past lives, there would still be those who'd dismiss it on the basis that it was perhaps implanted by suggestion or even created by the mind to explain something to itself.

ranjana

something people need to know is that during hypnosis, yes a person can recall with GREAT DETAIL a memory they previously were not conscious of, but this memory has often shown to be constructed.

just because it is very detailed and seems very real, certainly does not mean that it is.

challupa

There are some interesting books written by Michael Newton called "Journey of Souls" and "Destiny of Souls". They are intriguing. Also there is a book written by Ian Stephenson called "Old Souls" and it's about reincarnation stories written about children. It is also an interesting read.

Also, those videos are removed so I didn't watch them. What were they about?

challupa

problem is, even if it is real why not let the past rest in peace?
Well for the most part I would agree with that. However, according to the people that do go for help, somehow the effects of the past are overlapping into this life and causing problems. It seems that having this reason renewed and understood has brought closure for some people. It may all be an illusion, but if it helps people with their problems then I guess it is useful in that way.

The "Old Souls" book is interesting in that it is about children that remembered their past life so completely that they would tell their current parents that they were not their parents and then go on to tell them who they were, and details of their past life. Dr. Stephenson tried to verify these stories and had to admit that there were things that just were not explainable by normal means. Examples of this were children that were able to tell how they died where there were belongings hid etc. When it was followed up, they were accurate and they could go to a place where things had been kept that no one else knew about etc. It would seem from these stories that it is not a good thing to remember past lives as they interfere in undesireable ways with this one. Are they true? Who knows, but some people will tell you they definitely are.:shrug:

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
When i was 9 years old we stayed in a cottage owned by a freind of my Fathers(hope you are not bored yet) there was a river at the bottom of the garden and i headed straight for it with my fishing rod.
My Mother and my 3 Sisters went in to unpack,when i came back from fishing they said there was only 2 Bedrooms(i'll get there in a minute)but i said there are 3 and went upstairs straight to a bedroom and told my Sisters there is a door behind the walldrobe and there was a room that had been unused full of cobwebs and dust.
I had never been to that cottage before so how did i know,i also knew my way to a Pub or Inn,and a Farm and i was familiar with the surroundings,i thought it was weird then and later on in life i saw a documentary on regression and thought of that time at the cottage and the strange thing is i have wanted to go back to it for years.

challupa

When i was 9 years old we stayed in a cottage owned by a freind of my Fathers(hope you are not bored yet) there was a river at the bottom of the garden and i headed straight for it with my fishing rod.
My Mother and my 3 Sisters went in to unpack,when i came back from fishing they said there was only 2 Bedrooms(i'll get there in a minute)but i said there are 3 and went upstairs straight to a bedroom and told my Sisters there is a door behind the walldrobe and there was a room that had been unused full of cobwebs and dust.
I had never been to that cottage before so how did i know,i also knew my way to a Pub or Inn,and a Farm and i was familiar with the surroundings,i thought it was weird then and later on in life i saw a documentary on regression and thought of that time at the cottage and the strange thing is i have wanted to go back to it for years.
That's fascinating. Do you think you ever will go back there?

challupa

I will one day,i love that old cottage,i belive it was built in the 1400s which makes it more interesting.
Well, it's those experiences that really make one wonder! I have never had anything happen to me that way. I think it would be neat if you do go back since you feel an affinity to the place.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Well, it's those experiences that really make one wonder! I have never had anything happen to me that way. I think it would be neat if you do go back since you feel an affinity to the place.

I am 53 now so it was a long time ago,the strange thing about it was i did'nt think it was a big deal at the time,who really knows about these things but its tantalising to think we have been here before,why?,what would be the point or maybe there isn't meant to be.

challupa

I am 53 now so it was a long time ago,the strange thing about it was i did'nt think it was a big deal at the time,who really knows about these things but its tantalising to think we have been here before,why?,what would be the point or maybe there isn't meant to be.
Yes I have often wondered about that too. I have read the books mentioned in this thread and I don't know what to think. If they are right, then we come back time and again to the physical realm to experience things in a way that cannot be experienced in something that is not a physical realm. We also get to grow and learn through these experiences according to those who have been hypnotized and remembered past lives. I don't know, but if we do survive death, it makes sense that we would come to this realm more than once. I could never understand the "one kick at the can" philosophy of the bible. I just don't know myself, but some are very sure we come many times. Intriguing for sure...

cardero

Citizen Mod
problem is, even if it is real why not let the past rest in peace?
I believe a person can come to a peaceful understanding from their knowledge of the past even if it was as an entity who participated in a different existence but would people who were told that there was no reincarnation find this information comforting?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,
Past life regressions are conducted by many therapists and have read few books on it.
Maybe they are useful but one may not know which page of the book it is going to open and all pages may not be useful. So a great risk remains there.
Besides those who are on the path of enlightenment need not go back because it is only by being HERE-NOW that one becomes enlighetend.
Personally alawys take it that ONe needs to cross the river when it comes this way one is atleast conscious of what is happening and is not sudden.
Surely on the path to nirvana one will have to be totally conscious where all his past lives will open on its own accord and Mahavira the Jain tirthankar or buddha was said to have recalled his past 500 lives or so since he was a tree till his last birth as Mahavira.
Love & rgds

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
. It would seem from these stories that it is not a good thing to remember past lives as they interfere in undesireable ways with this one. Are they true? Who knows, but some people will tell you they definitely are.
shrug.gif

Hell, if you wanna give yourself a good start in a following life, hide a truckload of money somewhere, and dig it up when you can in the next life...:p

I did read one story about a child who detailed a life on a nearby island (from the U.K. if memory serves), and when him and his parents (may have been a therapist also) visited the place he was basically able to take them on a tour around the village, knowing exactly where key things were, including the location of the house he once lived in.

Though I can't remember where I read that, it was some time ago, and my memory is rather hazy on this one, I could be completely wrong...

challupa

Hell, if you wanna give yourself a good start in a following life, hide a truckload of money somewhere, and dig it up when you can in the next life...:p
LOL now that would be cool. You'd have to do it real young though cause I've heard that the memories of these children start to fade about 5 or 6 years of age. If you went and dug up money at that age, your parents would have it all spent by the time you grew up!!!