• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Understanding Satanism...

Jacksnyte

Reverend
I am trying to understand Satanism. I listen to a wide variety of music, and one of the genres happens to be Death/Black Metal. When I listen to some of the lyrics it makes me wonder why it is that they feel these ways about certain topics. I understand that many of the topics are also Neo-Pagan, but I am not looking for answers to those questions here.

The most common topics that I think about are:
1. The relationship of Satanism & Christianity, Islam, as well as other religions.
2. The relationship of a Satanist with God, Allah, etc..
3. The relationship of a Satanist in regards Jesus, Muhammud, Krishna, etc..
4. The concept of Satan, himself.
5. The perception that Satanists have of Satan's relationship with God, Allah, Vishnu, etc..
6. Satanic influence upon other religions and/or belief systems.
7. The Satanist's understanding of the universe.
8. The Satanist ideology in terms of human relationships.
9. The Satanist ideal of what Satan truly wants from them.
10. The Apocalyptic situation.

So, would anyone be willing to give me some insight? Any understanding would be helpful. Thank you.

Here's a nice bit of info I found on a quick search:

Resolved Question

Show me another »
I'm curious, tell me what are the branches of theistic Satanism?

I really don't want the whole "Oh, don't get into that" talk, spare me, please. There is no harm in wanting to know.
by LEMON KITTY -atheati subgenious Member since: June 12, 2008 Total points: 2,029 (Level 3)
Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

Satanism can refer to a number of belief systems depending on the user and context.

Generally, the word "Satanism" is used by scholars to describe several distinct spiritual practices and beliefs; the two most significant seem to be LaVeyan Satanism and Theistic Satanism.

Theistic Satanism, also known as Traditional Satanism, is the belief that Satan is an actual deity or force worthy of reverence or worship

Although little is known about Theistic Satanists in history, some Satanists, such as Tani Jantsang of "Satanic Reds", say they are generational Satanists, and some members of Ordo Flammeus Serpens (OFS), a group that venerates demons, also say that they were trained by a traditional family sect, or are generational demonolators whose religion has been passed down through the family. Claims such as these are unproven. Theistic Satanists are inspired by incidences they see as evidence of previous followers of their faith. The concept of "Satan" may incorporate elements from older religions than Judaism. Ha-satan is the role of one of God's court, whose duties include testing the faith of humanity; the concept may be derived from a judicial function in Israeli court, similar to a prosecuting attorney. The Jewish Encyclopedia says that parts of the Old Testament where Satan is seen to act independently of God may have been influenced by Zoroastrianism.[10] Anne Rice, while not a Satanist herself, equates Satan with Ahriman, the destructive spirit in Zoroastrianism, as does Nikolas Schreck. The Joy of Satan, an anti-Semitic group, consider Satan to be Enki, though most other Satanists, including Diane Vera, do not believe this to be the case, and do not agree with the Joy of Satan's neo-Nazi views. The Joy of Satan believes the Al-Jilwah of the Yezidi to be the words of Satan and considers Melek Taus to be Satan, however this may be based on Muslim prejudices about the Yezidi which Anton LaVey assumed were true, and may not be a reflection of what the Yezidi believe. Historically, accusing someone of Satanism was a pejorative term for those with opinions that differed from predominant religious or moral beliefs. Paul Tuitean believes the idea of acts of "reverse Christianity" was created by the Inquisition, but George Battaille believes the mass may have existed prior to the descriptions of it which were obtained through the witchcraft trials.

Although John Milton was unlikely to have been a Theistic Satanist, his epic poem Paradise Lost, is an inspiration for Satanism to the extent that William Blake said of Milton "[he is a true Poet, and of the Devil's party without knowing it." As well as being the inspiration for the Satanic School of literature Milton, Dante, Marlowe, and Goethe, are said by Nikolas Schreck to be the foundation of the modern concept of Satan. He argues that these authors had "access to the Luciferian vision" and a "diabolical consciousness" that flourished due to their separation from the common man, "a radical disruption from the norm that allowed the effulgence of the black light to illuminate their work