• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unitarian Universalist: Changing song lyrics

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Should we be changing song and hymn lyrics to reflect UU beliefs? Is this no big deal or important to show our differences with our Christian brothers?

A

angellous_evangellous

Maize said:
Should we be changing song and hymn lyrics to reflect UU beliefs? Is this no big deal or important to show our differences with our Christian brothers?
I think that it would be very healthy. Hopefully it will cause everyone to consider why the changes are taking place - it would be good for new and veteran converts alike. Music is part of the Christian confession, and our hymns are taken from our interpretation of Scripture. Christian brothers who have sang the hymns will surely notice changes (the Mormons have adapted many popular Christian hymns) and hopefully will think about why the changes have been made - there is a marked difference in theology between UU and other Christian groups. It is great to affirm the differences to help people understand why they are doing what they do - and there is no reason whatever to confess in music what the church does not hold to be true.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Maize said:
Is there a need? from what I have seen of UU, you have the best of all worlds.
:)

Alicia

Sorry to jump in here so late, but being new I have a lot of catching up to do!

I am glad that we change the lyrics to those we find more appropriate. I like singing lyrics that I agree with. You know the old joke about how UUs read ahead in the hymnal to check if we agree with the lyrics? I think it's true!

On the other hand, I have never been a Christian, so I don't really know which songs were changed and which ones were not and which ones are original UU songs. I kinda wish that they gave the origins of the songs at the bottom of the hymnal where they tell the lyricist and composer. Sometimes they say something like Traditional Hebrew or Traditional Quaker, but mostly I don't know the origins of the songs. So I guess what I'm saying is that I don't have any original context for the songs, but if I did I might feel differently.

For example, I grew up going to passover seders. I still like to have and go to seders. Sometimes if I go to a seder somewhere else, they sing some songs differently, or leave off some of the verses. And it makes me sad that I didn't get to sing it the way I remember it because it has sentimental value for me. It's possible that I might feel that way if we sang those songs in church too, and I just haven't come across that.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Maize said:
I've told this story before but wil tell it again. Every time our church sings Amazing Grace we stumble on the first line:

"Amazing Grace how sweet the sound that saved a wretch* like me."

There is, as the rest of you UUs well know, literally an asterix after the word wretch with a footnote saying that one can substitute the word "soul."

Every time we stumble on that line, I am both frustrated and amused. I am frustrated because I personally have no problem admitting to being a wretch sometimes. I don't believe such an admission negates my inherent worth and dignity. It's just the recognition that I'm not perfect nor self-containing. I need grace. I need connection to the Other. But I am also amused because are stumblings are just so damned funny! :D They reveal this endearing tension that we have within us - somewhere between pride and humility.

Should we change lyrics? Depends on the lyrics. If the lyrics reflect a theology that is incompatible with our core beliefs then yes, by all means change them. If, however, they simply make us feel a little uncomfortable, I would prefer that we keep them. I would prefer that we wrestle with messiness a bit rather than just making everything nice and pretty.

The rest of my congregation stumbles on the first line. I always sing "wretch" louder than the rest of the words. :D