• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unrepentant until the very end, Christopher Hitchens dead at 62

Poisonshady313

it's not like what they said was any better, so I did notice the super obnoxious delivery/attitude of both.. it surely can't have helped. and that people are "widely recognized" as whatever doesn't make them intelligent, and this was like shooting fish in a barrel for hitchens and fry.
You're kinda hanging on the wrong word and missing the point. He's a leader who relies more on words than on actually doing anything. He's an author. A speech giver. Someone responsible for organizing the debate must have thought that there weren't many folks more qualified to speak to an audience about Catholicism than him.

no single person can "represent" anything, anyway... but they could at least have given some better arguments for hitchens and fry to shoot down, and that would have made it more interesting.
They had the opportunity, and they blew it. I don't think it's because they put up a couple of idiots to face off against Hitchens and Fry. I think Hitchens and Fry made points that even well rounded Catholics had trouble defending against.

The question becomes, was their inability to defend certain issues a fault of the debaters? Or a fault of Catholicism?