• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Urantia Book Questions

BSM1

What? Me worry?
It's a long story, that link I gave you would have what you want to know, but we think that the revelators began planning for this in the 1300s or so. That they probably had several different groups of humans that were possible candidates for getting the revelation into material form. That they eventually picked Dr. William S. Sadler, a former Seventh Day Adventist, a doctor, surgeon, psychiatrist, author, and speaker, and his "group" to be the group to shepherd the revelation into print. William S. Sadler - Wikipedia We think they got his attention some time around 1911 or so. A woman in the apartment building had something strange going on with her husband at night and she contacted the doctor (Sadler) in a nearby apartment to please come over and check out the situation. The man in question WAS NOT Dr. Sadler's "mental patient" as some Christians try to make out. To hear them tell it, if you break your leg and the only doctor around to lend a hand is a psychiatrist, that makes you a mental patient. It's very dishonest.

Anyway, after some years of getting Dr. Sadler's confidence and trusting that he wouldn't make a three ring circus out of it like Edgar Cayce, we think that the revelators simply delivered (materialized) the text of The Urantia Book in a few thousand hand written pages. From there it was proofread and eventually set into 2200 nickel printing plates for the 1955 First Printing. There were 10,000 of those printed.

The link I gave is the place to go for the story. A History of The Urantia Papers

But if you have any more questions. go ahead and ask them. I'll try to answer them.

So you don't think Edgar Cayce was the one receiving the info?

Furchizedek

So you don't think Edgar Cayce was the one receiving the info?

You mean The Urantia Book? No, there doesn't seem to be any indication of that from anyone I've ever talked to in the Urantia movement. I suppose I have heard that idea before though, from somewhere, I forgot where. Maybe someone has even written a book on that theory. Where did you hear it from? I haven't heard it or considered it in such a long time that it took me a minute to realize what you were talking about. I don't know when Cayce would have had the time, and apparently no one ever saw the Urantia papers actually being materialized.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
You mean The Urantia Book? No, there doesn't seem to be any indication of that from anyone I've ever talked to in the Urantia movement. I suppose I have heard that idea before though, from somewhere, I forgot where. Maybe someone has even written a book on that theory. Where did you hear it from? I haven't heard it or considered it in such a long time that it took me a minute to realize what you were talking about. I don't know when Cayce would have had the time, and apparently no one ever saw the Urantia papers actually being materialized.

Seems I heard it was a rumor for awhile.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Really? You believe that? Are you a Muslim? What about Joseph Smith and the Mormons, what about that story?

Yes, I would say that's about right. The revelators (God's agents) didn't want to create another Paul or Joseph Smith or even Muhammad. They wanted the message as free from human contamination as possible.

And by the way, I would be honored if you would add the Urantia symbol to your design. Like this:
View attachment 21537
According to The Urantia Book, Melchizedek wore this emblem (last one on the right) 4000 years ago when he came here in the times of Abraham.
Are you claiming the Urantia book was authored by God himself and that no human hand was involved at any time? If so, on what do you base that premise?

Furchizedek

Are you claiming the Urantia book was authored by God himself and that no human hand was involved at any time?

Absolutely not. No, we don't claim that God personally wrote The Urantia Book. Christians claim that about the bible, but we don't claim that. God, like Trump or Obama, doesn't personally do everything in the Universe that needs doing. God delegates.

If so, on what do you base that premise?

See above. There is no premise like that as far as we're concerned.

Are you a Mormon? Some have speculated, even some Mormons, that The Urantia Book may be something that is mentioned in one of your books, the "Greater Record to Come" as Prophesied in the Book of Mormon?

Is that right? What do you know about that?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Absolutely not. No, we don't claim that God personally wrote The Urantia Book. Christians claim that about the bible, but we don't claim that. God, like Trump or Obama, doesn't personally do everything in the Universe that needs doing. God delegates.
See above. There is no premise like that as far as we're concerned.
Good to hear. And I agree. I pretty much just asked because of your comment that "God's agents" wanted "message as free from human contamination as possible," so I guess I jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Are you a Mormon? Some have speculated, even some Mormons, that The Urantia Book may be something that is mentioned in one of your books, the "Greater Record to Come" as Prophesied in the Book of Mormon?
Speculation never surprises me. :confused:

Is that right? What do you know about that?
I know of no "Greater Record to Come" that you say is prophesied in The Book of Mormon. Perhaps you can tell me chapter and verse, as the only passage from The Book of Mormon that anyone could possible construe to be such a record comes from Mormon 8:12. It says, "And whoso receiveth this record, and shall not condemn it because of the imperfections which are in it, the same shall know of greater things than these." If that's it, all I can say is, "Wow. What a stretch!"

Furchizedek

Good to hear. And I agree.

I know of no "Greater Record to Come" that you say is prophesied in The Book of Mormon. Perhaps you can tell me chapter and verse, as the only passage from The Book of Mormon that anyone could possible construe to be such a record comes from Mormon 8:12. It says, "And whoso receiveth this record, and shall not condemn it because of the imperfections which are in it, the same shall know of greater things than these." If that's it, all I can say is, "Wow. What a stretch!"

No, I don't think that's it. I'll try to get some information for you. Standby.

Furchizedek

Good to hear. And I agree. I pretty much just asked because of your comment that "God's agents" wanted "message as free from human contamination as possible," so I guess I jumped to the wrong conclusion.

LOL. OK, let's try this:

“And when they shall have received this, which is expedient that they should have first, to try their faith, and if it shall so be that they shall believe these things then shall the greater things be made manifest unto them.
And if it so be that they will not believe these things, then shall the greater things be withheld from them, unto their condemnation.” (3 Ne. 26:9,10)
“Behold, I have written upon these plates the very things which the brother of Jared saw; and there never were greater things made manifest than those which were made manifest unto the brother of Jared. (Ether 4: 4)
And he that will contend against the word of the Lord, let him be accursed; and he that shall deny these things, let him be accursed; for unto them will I show no greater things, saith Jesus Christ; for I am he who speaketh.” (Ether 4:8)
In the book of Alma, it is recorded that he who receives the lesser portion with gladness “to him is given the greater portion of the word, until it is given unto him to know the mysteries of God until he know them in full.” (Alma 12: 10)
10 And therefore, he that will harden his heart, the same receiveth the lesser portion of the word; and he that will not harden his heart, to him is given the greater portion of the word, until it is given unto him to know the mysteries of God until he know them in full.
And now there cannot be written in this book even a hundredth part of the things which Jesus did truly teach unto the people;” (3 Ne 26: 6)
And a hundredth part of the proceedings of this people, which now began to be numerous, cannot be written upon these plates; but many of their proceedings are written upon the larger plates, and their wars, and their contentions, and the reigns of their kings.” (Jacob 3: 13)
“Wherefore, I chose these things, to finish my record upon them, which remainder of my record I shall take from the plates of Nephi; and I cannot write the hundredth part of the things of my people.” (Words of Mormon 1:5)
“And whoso receiveth this record, and shall not condemn it because of the imperfections which are in it, the same shall know of greater things than these. Behold, I am Moroni; and were it possible, I would make all things known unto you.” (Mormon 8: 12)
No person, religion or organization claims to have authored the Urantia Papers … rather, its various authors’ claim are of celestial origin. But does the Urantia Book really reveal a hundred times more information than other Christian scripture?
“Jesus” name is used:
943 times in the Bible
168 times in the Book of Mormon
108 times in the Doctrine & Covenants
15 times in the Pearl of Great Price
7,287 times in the Urantia Papers
(Jesus is often referred to as Master)
The word “Master” is noted:
67 times in the Bible
0 times in the BofM
9 times in the D&C
0 times in the PGP
1,421 times in the Urantia Papers
The LDS (Mormon) teach that Jesus was the “Creator of heaven and earth.” This is in total alignment with the Urantia Papers. In addition, “Michael,” in the Urantia Papers is the personage of Jesus ‘before’ becoming a mortal on earth.
The word “Creator” is used:
5 times in the Bible
10 times in the BofM
1 time in the D&C
1 time in the PGP
869 times in the Urantia Papers
The word “Michael” is used:
61 times in the Bible
6 times in the BofM
1 time in the D&C
0 times in the PGP
549 times in the Urantia Papers
Other keyword elements of Christendom would be: Adam and Eve, Garden of Eden, Melchizedek, Abraham, Angels, Crucifixion, Resurrection. Below is a count on the mention of each in the aforementioned Christian scripture, and the count from Urantia Papers.
“Adam” is mentioned:
27 in the Bible
25 times in the BofM
28 times in the D&C
51 times in the PGP
513 times in the Urantia Papers
“Eve” is mentioned:
4 times in the Bible
3 times in the BofM
1 time in the D&C
7 times in the PGP
380 times in Urantia Papers
“Garden of Eden” is mentioned:
19 times in the Bible
9 times in the BofM
3 times in the D&C
12 times in the PGP
168 times in the Urantia Papers
The word “Melchizedek” is used:
3 times in the Bible
4 times in the BofM
23 times in the D&C
7 times in the PGP and JST
637 times in the Urantia Papers
“Abraham” is mentioned:
230 times in the Bible
27 times in the BofM
30 times in the D&C
19 times in the PGP 171 times in the Urantia Papers
“angel, cherubim or seraphim” are used:
343 times in the Bible
168 times in the BofM
95 times in the D&C
4 times in the PGP
1043 times in the Urantia Papers
“crucifixion, crucify or crucified”
49 times in the Bible
8 times in the BofM
11 times in the D&C
0 times in the PGP
121 times in the Urantia Papers
“resurrected, resurrection, resurrect” are used:
42 times in the Bible
59 times in the BofM
26 times in the D&C
2 times in the PGP
285 times in the Urantia Papers
It is surely an opinion whether or not the Urantia Book ‘is’ that “greater record to come,” but, it is a fact that the above mentioned Christian terminologies are used “a hundred times,” so-to-speak, more voluminous in the Urantia Papers than in the renown Christian scriptures.
It is the humble prayer and hope of LDS Urantia students world-wide to hear from the lips of their LDS Church President such words as: “the members of this church are free to embrace the teachings in the Urantia Papers without any repercussion from church leadership.” Such a simple declaration would open the hearts for millions to a whole new world and a whole new universe.
Some things, yes, will have to be reassessed in our theology consciousness such as the ‘age of the earth,’ creative evolution, the atonement doctrine and more; however, the LDS can likely make such changes easier than the traditional Christian religions. We have already dared to believe more than just “the Bible.” As Jesus taught his followers to let go of the old and embrace the new, so we can learn to do such again.
Len Mckee
[email protected]

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It is the humble prayer and hope of LDS Urantia students world-wide to hear from the lips of their LDS Church President such words as: “the members of this church are free to embrace the teachings in the Urantia Papers without any repercussion from church leadership.” Such a simple declaration would open the hearts for millions to a whole new world and a whole new universe.
Interesting information, Len. You may not already be aware of this, but Mormons are already free to embrace all truth, regardless of its source. No special permission is needed for us to explore the teachings of the Urantia book.

Furchizedek

Interesting information, Len. You may not already be aware of this, but Mormons are already free to embrace all truth, regardless of its source. No special permission is needed for us to explore the teachings of the Urantia book.

I don't know Len personally. It seems to me that he is a Mormon, however. (I might be wrong.) There is a video that goes with that text, I think. It's here:
Or this one, I don't know what the difference is:
I'm sure he knows what you said above. He probably wants the leadership to make a public statement. Even if you all are free now, as you said, a public statement would give timid people permission.
Feel free to contact him, I'd say. His email is at the bottom of that piece. And if that email is invalid now, I'm sure we can track him down.

I used to live in Katzpur. ...Katzpur, Wyoming. It's the second largest city in the state.

Furchizedek

I am an Ahmadiyya peaceful Muslim.
I think even you don't believe in Joseph Smith and the Mormons. Please
Regards

I never said I did. And yes, you are correct.

I have heard of the "Mahdi" before but never heard of your particular Muslim sect. I'm afraid, that to many Americans, the distinction of a "peaceful Muslim" is going to be lost on them.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I never said I did. And yes, you are correct.

I have heard of the "Mahdi" before but never heard of your particular Muslim sect. I'm afraid, that to many Americans, the distinction of a "peaceful Muslim" is going to be lost on them.
The peaceful Ahmadiyya Islam is for every people, but no compulsion to any people, Americans included. We value and love every people as human beings. Please
Regards

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I don't know Len personally. It seems to me that he is a Mormon, however. (I might be wrong.)
Sorry, I thought you were Len. :oops:

I'm sure he knows what you said above. He probably wants the leadership to make a public statement. Even if you all are free now, as you said, a public statement would give timid people permission.
Honestly, I don't want to get involved. Most of the time I feel like I'm walking on the fringes as it is. I can absolutely, positively guarantee that there is absolutely nothing in the world that would get the LDS leadership to make a public statement of the sort you and Len would like to see. It's simply not going to happen. I'd be willing to bet every last dollar I have on that. Trust me, people will don't need anybody's permission or blessing to educate themselves. If they want to, they will and if they don't, they won't. The older I get, the less I listen to anybody. I rely almost solely on what I feel in my heart to be true.

I used to live in Katzpur. ...Katzpur, Wyoming. It's the second largest city in the state.
Ah, yes. Casper. As in Casper the Friendly Ghost.

LuisMarco

I don't know Len personally. It seems to me that he is a Mormon, however. (I might be wrong.) There is a video that goes with that text, I think. It's here:
Or this one, I don't know what the difference is:
Feel free to contact him, I'd say. His email is at the bottom of that piece. And if that email is invalid now, I'm sure we can track him down.

Hey, Everyone.
dear Furch:
i ask you to please give me the benefit of the doubt and not outright block me here at this great Forum, and only if i bother you in a bad, etc way, only then you block me again.
Because i wanna ask you this:
Do you recommend me the two-part video you shared above a few days ago???. Do you think URANTIA was actually prophesied within Mormonism?. And lastly, who do you think was the person or group who prophesied this: the supposed author or authors of the Mormon book?.
Thank you so very much, my friend.
Sincerely and with love,
lm, 'white', 34, born and living in Mexico City :)

Furchizedek

I wanna ask you this:
Do you recommend me the two-part video you shared above a few days ago???

Sure. Watch it if you want. But I think a Mormon might be more interested in it.

Do you think URANTIA was actually prophesied within Mormonism?.

I really don't know. I don't know much about The Book of Mormon.

And lastly, who do you think was the person or group who prophesied this: the supposed author or authors of the Mormon book?.

I don't know if it's been prophesied or not. There are some statements, perhaps, in The Book of Mormon, that can be taken to mean The Urantia Book, perhaps. It'd be up to a Mormon to make that personal decision for themselves. [/QUOTE]