• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UU & United Church of Christ

I don't have a definitive answer, but I doubt if there are any congregations that are members of both organizations.

Based on a quick look at the UCC website, I just picked out two elements that I think would be in opposition with a membership in the UUA.

One from the section describing who they are...

We believe in the triune God: Creator, resurrected Christ, the sole Head of the church, and the Holy Spirit, who guides and brings about the creative and redemptive work of God in the world.

One from the constitution and by-laws...

10 A Local Church is composed of persons who, believing in God as heavenly Father, and accepting Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, and depending on the guidance of the Holy Spirit, are organized for Christian worship, for the furtherance of Christian fellowship, and for the ongoing work of Christian witness.

While it would be perfectly acceptable for individuals in a UU congregation to hold to these teachings, it seems to me that if a congregation holds to these teachings, they would not fit into what I understand to be the UUA framework. due to the stated requirement to accept Christ to be eligible for membership. This requirement is underscored further in the UCC by-laws by requiring a statement of faith.

On quick review, it looks like the groups have much in common, but the differences are definitely significant.

dsaly1969

Actually that is not quite accurate. There ARE dually affiliated congregations out there who are both UUA/UCC (most dually affiliated tend to be UCC and Disciples of Christ). Even though they have traditional language in their description, the UCC is technically noncreedal (although some congregations are very progressive while others are more conservative). In addition, the UCC and UUA are two outgrowths from their Congregational roots and working collaboratively on many social justice issues as well as a shared youth sexuality curriculum (Our Whole Lives). The primary difference is that UCC is still explicitly Christian in focus although primarily noncreedal while UU is more universal in focus.

Also most "dually affiliated" whether UCC/UUA or UCC/DOC tend to be in smaller towns and are primarily back East. The UU Christian Fellowship would probably be a good source of information.

http://adameliot.blogspot.com/2012/02/uua-and-ucc-liberals-talking.html

Last edited:
That is interesting... based on the requirement to accept Christ, it would seem to be creedal at some level.

I did think that there were many similarities in the other aspects based on what I read. If I am ever in an area and want to congregate and can't find a UU church, I will definitely consider checking out a local UCC.

applewuud

I once visited a church in Deerfield, MA that carries a dual affiliation, but it wasn't very Unitarian-Universalist at all. I think it just meant that historically they didn't emphasize trinitarianism, to let everyone in town worship in the same place (instead of splitting into two as most New England congregations did. The practical differences between the two are minor.

There was a proposal a few years ago to merge Meadville-Lombard with Andover-Newton seminary, because the educational requirements for ministry overlap about 90%. It didn't happen, though.