• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

variety in evolution?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
let me think a bit upon your question, and i think i can give you something.
Sure thing. :D

yeah i do need to buy into it because it claims to have produced me, and i have intellegent thought, and i need to know how it produced intellegent thought, and just randomly producing it doesnt cut it. theres also the origin of life thing too.
Intelligence is a definite benefit for critters to have so it would be selected for over time. Indeed, we see a general increase in brain size through time in all major groups. (now brain size isn't directly related to intelligence, but there is a link)
Also, big brains come with an energetic cost... organisms with big brains need to be able to fuel those brains, so it isn't always advantageous to have huge brains. You need as much as you can afford. A mouse doesn't need to be able to contemplate nuclear physics, but it does need to be able to figure out how to avoid cats.

We had circumstances that encouraged big brains and the smarts that go with them.
Very social, lots of predators, opportunistic omnivore lifestyle...

wa:do

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
yeah i do need to buy into it because it claims to have produced me

No problem if that's what you believe.

and i have intellegent thought, and i need to know how it produced intellegent thought, and just randomly producing it doesnt cut it.

Why not? Random actions are found throughout nature. Look at certain bacteria under a microscope and you'll discover plenty of random actions.

theres also the origin of life thing too.

Fortunately Evolution is about change within a species and not about the origins of a species.

crocusj

oddly enough i have to say that i dont think i'm very far from this belief system, but i'm not happy where i am, i just cant seem to buy into most of evolution, but niether can i buy into a creating diety that will torture you if you dont believe in him and causes great hardship in life and says its because he loves you.
are you happy with your belief system?

Well of course I am. Remember - "born, breed, die" takes a lifetime! And you can make of it what you will. There is no path preordained for you and for goodness sake don't get bogged down by philosophical questions that have a million or no answers, its not compulsory to know and in all likelihood 99% of the people on here and elsewhere have got it wrong. Better to get bogged down in the breeding instead and, if your lucky, have a good death!
If you need to know more about evolution then there is no shortage of books and websites available, though I would caution against creationist ones until you understand the whole concept because they clearly have a vested interest.

crocusj

No problem if that's what you believe.

Why not? Random actions are found throughout nature. Look at certain bacteria under a microscope and you'll discover plenty of random actions.

Fortunately Evolution is about change within a species and not about the origins of a species.

Surely you mean the origins of life?

Onkara

anybody got any ideas about why evolution might have created so much variety of life ?

To experience variety THROUGH it. Each pair of eyes, nose, mouth and so on are a gateway to experiencing. The is the purpose too. But experience what?

Experiencing evolution, of change and of life all around it. Everything is interdependent and connected.

All change occurs on a foundation. The foundation by its nature is not experienced, rather it is the experiencer. You are the experiencer, limited by time and space.

Time and space are part of the interconnection.

Dan4reason

Facts not Faith
anybody got any ideas about why evolution might have created so much variety of life ?

A species evolves into multiple species when there is geographic isolation. Charles Darwin observed this with finches in the Galapagos. Over millions of years, the variety of life will increase according to his observations. First what happens is that subspecies develope, this variety of supspecies and the differences between them increases to such a point that some cannot any longer mate with others either for genetic reasons or for societal reasons. They are then split up in some way by scientists into different species.

To experience variety THROUGH it. Each pair of eyes, nose, mouth and so on are a gateway to experiencing. The is the purpose too. But experience what?

Experiencing evolution, of change and of life all around it. Everything is interdependent and connected.

All change occurs on a foundation. The foundation by its nature is not experienced, rather it is the experiencer. You are the experiencer, limited by time and space.

Time and space are part of the interconnection.

woah!..........this is too deep for me, or too whatever.

A species evolves into multiple species when there is geographic isolation. Charles Darwin observed this with finches in the Galapagos. Over millions of years, the variety of life will increase according to his observations. First what happens is that subspecies develope, this variety of supspecies and the differences between them increases to such a point that some cannot any longer mate with others either for genetic reasons or for societal reasons. They are then split up in some way by scientists into different species.

i know this is off subject, but i see you were raised by mormons, and probably rejected the teachings.......although i was not a mormon, i think we have similar feelings because of our backgrounds.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
this is helpful.....but it does open up an obvious question.

If that is "how did life come to be?" then it may well be obvious, but it is also ultimately irrelevant to biological research. Biologists have no more need to know or guess how life came to be then, say, geologists need to know how the universe had origin.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
yeah i do need to buy into it because it claims to have produced me, and i have intellegent thought, and i need to know how it produced intellegent thought, and just randomly producing it doesnt cut it. theres also the origin of life thing too.

Two things you need to learn:
(1) Evolution is not random.
(2) Evolution is not about the origin of life.

Understanding these two things may help.

As for intelligence, can you think of any way that having intelligence might help an organism survive and reproduce?

Alceste

Vagabond

There you go - as I said, the feeling you need to "buy into" something implausible is a pretty clear sign you are thinking of a misrepresentation of the theory and not the theory itself. As Auto pointed out, evolution is not random, and it says nothing at all about the origins of life - only what happened after life emerged.

To clarify the confusing issue of "randomness", two of the inputs that cause adaptation are 1) natural selection and 2) genetic mutation. The latter is somewhat random (though still limited by sexual selection and the laws of chemistry), the former is not at all random.

Which is not to say it is planned, or designed. "Random" and "planned" aren't the only two options. Take a beehive - there is no individual bee or god of bees directing each individual worker to construct according to a detailed blueprint of a beehive - they build the way they do spontaneously, without direction, because bees can't help but behave in harmony with their innate "bee-ness". Nevertheless, their bee-havior changes over time. This is not because (for example) they look around and go "Hey, guys, we should build our hives higher up so the bears don't get us!" or because the bee god communicates this to them through a burning honeysuckle or inscribes it on a rock. It's simply because the bears destroy the low-hung beehives, which robs the low-hangers of the opportunity to reproduce and pass on their innate behavior to another generation.