• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vegans have 43% more bone fractures

Secret Chief

Degrow!
Humans evolved to be omnivores, which we can tell from our gut and our dentition. What we should be eating is FOOD, yes, mostly plants, plus proteins, mostly fish, but a little other dense protein is okay. Along with moderate dairy (milk, cheeses and eggs and the like). Choose natural foods, rather than processed, choose whole grains, rather refined, and choose oils like EVOO. And don't overeat!

That's a healthy diet. It's also, basically, a "mediterranean" diet.

Have humans evolved to drink the milk of other species? Do any other species do that?
Why do humans continue to drink milk into adulthood, what has happened to weaning?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Have humans evolved to drink the milk of other species? Do any other species do that?
Why do humans continue to drink milk into adulthood, what has happened to weaning?
Does one animal benefit from eating the eggs of another? Why, yes, actually, they do! Snakes swallow birds eggs whole. Raccoons break them open and enjoy the contents. Loads of other animals (including us) eat the eggs of birds -- as well as fish (caviar).

This is using available resources, and the same is true of milk. Not all humans have evolved to be able to digest the primary sugar in milk - lactose -- but many have. They are primarily of European ancestry, where the use of milk products, including cheese, has been prevalent for millenia. In fact, about 35% of the world's population (again, mostly from European extraction) have evolved the ability to process lactose with no problem whatever, making it a very useful part of the diet for those people.

How did that evolution happen? Nobody is quite sure, but it seems pretty likely that in northern climes, milk provided such a rich source of nutrients -- and was renewable, because cattle, reindeer and other mammals kept producing it without the need to kill the animal -- that those who could tolerate it fared much better in the nutrition competition, and passed that ability on to their children. That is the essence of natural selection.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Does one animal benefit from eating the eggs of another? Why, yes, actually, they do! Snakes swallow birds eggs whole. Raccoons break them open and enjoy the contents. Loads of other animals (including us) eat the eggs of birds -- as well as fish (caviar).

This is using available resources, and the same is true of milk. Not all humans have evolved to be able to digest the primary sugar in milk - lactose -- but many have. They are primarily of European ancestry, where the use of milk products, including cheese, has been prevalent for millenia. In fact, about 35% of the world's population (again, mostly from European extraction) have evolved the ability to process lactose with no problem whatever, making it a very useful part of the diet for those people.

How did that evolution happen? Nobody is quite sure, but it seems pretty likely that in northern climes, milk provided such a rich source of nutrients -- and was renewable, because cattle, reindeer and other mammals kept producing it without the need to kill the animal -- that those who could tolerate it fared much better in the nutrition competition, and passed that ability on to their children. That is the essence of natural selection.
Just wanted to add to this:

There's an interesting corollary between us and drinking the milk of cattle, and ants drinking the "honeydew" of aphids. In fact, the ants protect the aphids from some of their natural predators, precisely so that they can retain the nourishment that they can coax from aphids by stroking their abdomens. This is a benefit to the aphids, while the nourishment is a benefit to the ants.

And we protect, and help in the reproduction of, cattle, sheep and goats, from which we get milk. We benefit -- and so do they.

stvdv

Veteran Member
A recent study has found that vegans get 43% more bone fractures than the general population.

Vegans at higher risk of bone fractures, study finds - CNN
I always like to check the bigger picture. Maybe meat eaters have 43% more broken hearts or kidneys, or live longer. Let's google:

A researcher at Loma Linda University in California wanted to find out if people who eat plant foods live longer than meat-eaters. So far, the answer seems to be a resounding “yes!”

While the research—which originally began in 1958 and included various studies on Seventh-day Adventists, who typically eat plant foods because of their religious beliefs—is only partially finished, the results suggest that, on average, vegetarian men and women live 9.5 and 6.1 years longer, respectively, than their meat-eating counterparts. (Many researchers use the term “vegetarian” when referring to vegans and vegetarians alike, something that was commonly done before the term “vegan” became as well known as it is today.)

The study also indicates that, in general, vegans are 30 pounds leaner—as well as five units lighter on the BMI scale—and less insulin resistant than meat-eaters.

While many Adventists also don’t drink, smoke, or consume caffeine, it’s obvious that their food choices play a significant role in their long lives—and in the quality of those lives. Countless other studies have shown that vegans tend to weigh less and are less likely to suffer from common chronic illnesses, including heart disease, diabetes, and cancer.

Think about it: Vegan foods are cholesterol-free, generally low in saturated fat, and high in fiber and complex carbohydrates. They contain cancer-fighting phytochemicals and all the essential nutrients that the human body needs.

Animal-based foods, on the other hand, are high in artery-clogging cholesterol, saturated fat, and calories. They don’t contain fiber or various vitamins and have been linked to at least nine diseases. The hormones, toxins, and antibioticsfound in animal-based foods are also linked to a variety of health problems.

So of course, vegans have a better chance of living longer. They have fewer health problems and, on average, have the most antioxidants and other biomarkers in their bodies. A study of more than 70,000 Japanese adults found that people who ate the most plant protein had a 13% lower all-cause mortality rate than those who ate the least.

In addition, those who choose to eat healthy, humane vegan foods save more than 200 animals every year, so it’s a win-win situation for all. In addition to living longer, vegans tend to lead kinder and more fulfilling lives, helping to make the world a better place for everyone.

So, vegans live 6-10 years longer than meat eaters. Naturally they have more broken bones, as usually the older you get the more bones you break

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I always like to check the bigger picture. Maybe meat eaters have 43% more broken hearts or kidneys, or live longer. Let's google:

A researcher at Loma Linda University in California wanted to find out if people who eat plant foods live longer than meat-eaters. So far, the answer seems to be a resounding “yes!”

While the research—which originally began in 1958 and included various studies on Seventh-day Adventists, who typically eat plant foods because of their religious beliefs—is only partially finished, the results suggest that, on average, vegetarian men and women live 9.5 and 6.1 years longer, respectively, than their meat-eating counterparts. (Many researchers use the term “vegetarian” when referring to vegans and vegetarians alike, something that was commonly done before the term “vegan” became as well known as it is today.)

The study also indicates that, in general, vegans are 30 pounds leaner—as well as five units lighter on the BMI scale—and less insulin resistant than meat-eaters.

While many Adventists also don’t drink, smoke, or consume caffeine, it’s obvious that their food choices play a significant role in their long lives—and in the quality of those lives. Countless other studies have shown that vegans tend to weigh less and are less likely to suffer from common chronic illnesses, including heart disease, diabetes, and cancer.

Think about it: Vegan foods are cholesterol-free, generally low in saturated fat, and high in fiber and complex carbohydrates. They contain cancer-fighting phytochemicals and all the essential nutrients that the human body needs.

Animal-based foods, on the other hand, are high in artery-clogging cholesterol, saturated fat, and calories. They don’t contain fiber or various vitamins and have been linked to at least nine diseases. The hormones, toxins, and antibioticsfound in animal-based foods are also linked to a variety of health problems.

So of course, vegans have a better chance of living longer. They have fewer health problems and, on average, have the most antioxidants and other biomarkers in their bodies. A study of more than 70,000 Japanese adults found that people who ate the most plant protein had a 13% lower all-cause mortality rate than those who ate the least.

In addition, those who choose to eat healthy, humane vegan foods save more than 200 animals every year, so it’s a win-win situation for all. In addition to living longer, vegans tend to lead kinder and more fulfilling lives, helping to make the world a better place for everyone.

So, vegans live 6-10 years longer than meat eaters. Naturally they have more broken bones, as usually the older you get the more bones you break

I should have thought about how a longer life span can also factor in a higher number of broken bones. One has to be careful when it comes to medicine since there are quite a few factors when it comes to illnesses etc.. Correlation is very often not causation.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I only eat bananas, but both green and yellow for variety.
At my age, I don't buy green bananas.

Btw, for mental health....
cheap-keep-calm-and-eat-bacon-t-shirt.jpg

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Humans evolved to be omnivores, which we can tell from our gut and our dentition. What we should be eating is FOOD, yes, mostly plants, plus proteins, mostly fish, but a little other dense protein is okay. Along with moderate dairy (milk, cheeses and eggs and the like). Choose natural foods, rather than processed, choose whole grains, rather refined, and choose oils like EVOO. And don't overeat!

That's a healthy diet. It's also, basically, a "mediterranean" diet.
You can eat food, natural foods, unprocessed foods, without eating meat, dairy, etc. You CAN eat meat and dairy, but my issue is people who insist not doing so is unhealthy based on bunk science. Like when paleo dieters insist that legumes and grains are 'not what we evolved to eat' therefore not eating them is more healthy.

Shaul

Premium Member
The country with the highest percentage of vegans is India at 9% (with vegetarians at 20-39%, estimates vary) has a life expectancy of 67 years (~150th out of ~200 countries). Mexico has about 9% vegans too. Its life expectancy is 70 years. The country of Japan has a percentage of 2.7% for vegans (9% for vegetarians) with the world's highest life expectancy of 84 years.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
The country with the highest percentage of vegans is India at 9% (with vegetarians at 20-39%, estimates vary) has a life expectancy of 67 years (~150th out of ~200 countries). Mexico has about 9% vegans too. Its life expectancy is 70 years. The country of Japan has a percentage of 2.7% for vegans (9% for vegetarians) with the world's highest life expectancy of 84 years.
If only there was a country 0% vegans and 0% vegetarians. You could move there and live forever!

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member

Some of us have evolved to do so yes. About 30% of the worlds population. Most of them descendants of nomadic herders. When food is scarce, milk is a high calorie, protein and fat foodstuff.

Edit: also it is a source of clean water. Since that's what it mostly is.

Last edited:

ajay0

A recent study has found that vegans get 43% more bone fractures than the general population.

Vegans at higher risk of bone fractures, study finds - CNN

I would say, this is because of poor diet not having the proper nutrients which are found in vegan food. Vegan dietetics is an incomplete science as yet as this is of recent origin and not much research and study has gone into this subject.

I became vegetarian due to religious and ethical reasons. Vegetarianism helped me to get rid of my comical pot belly and excess fat and become lean and trim. I have similarly seen other vegetarians who look a decade or two younger than their actual age.

Yesterday, I met a 87 year old vegetarian who looked as if he was in his sixties. He was walking miles carrying a load, and was capable of making deep calculations in a piece of paper, without issues. Other people his age are usually bed-ridden and suffering from dementia.

In my family of non-vegetarians, I am the only one who is vegetarian. I noticed that my brothers and father suffered from painful kidney stones and had operations in this regard, which I never had.

Kidney stones emerge from excess protein consumption.

Nonvegetarians similarly suffer from higher rates of cancer and cardio-vascular diseases , as well as alzheimers and dementia, as per scientific research.