• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vermont Diocese to Sell Headquarters and Camp to Pay for Sex Abuse Settlements

MSizer

MSizer
Catholic diocese in Boston and L.A. have sold their headquarters in an effort to pay for legal settlements with victims of sex crimes at the hands of clergy. Now Burlington Vermont had announced it will do the same.

Now that the problem is really starting to take it's toll on the Church, I'll bet everything I have that we're going to see a big change in the way the Church deals with this crap. The rape of innocent children didn't matter, but when they start loosing large assets, things are going to change I expect.

I'm very happy to hear this. I'm sick of hearing catholics whine about how tired they are of these scandals breaking. The catholic church by it's ignorant dogma facilitates some of the worst atrocities against young people. They need to give their heads a shake and reorganize their ridiculus structure which incubates child rapists - and change it!

Last edited:

sonofskeptish

It is what it is
Pedophile priests... proof that for some, raping a child's mind is not enough. Was that too harsh? I really feel this way. It is my genuine belief.

Jordan St. Francis

Pedophile priests... proof that for some, raping a child's mind is not enough. Was that too harsh? I really feel this way. It is my genuine belief.

Well, I suppose you are entitled to genuine idiocy.

As to the OP, yes, perhaps this is right, though it saddens me to see what generations of Catholic families have invested in and loved be torn away.

I hope the priests and complicit leaders can see how much damage they have done to the Catholic community with which they were entrusted to protect and care for- and we should remember, the victims were and/ or are a part of the community, I don't mean to exclude them from this. These priests have destroyed very much. Hopefully, such powerful symbols as the selling of diocesean head quarters will mean that this will never happen again.

berrychrisc

Devotee of the Immaculata
I belong to the Diocese of Burlington and I was dismayed at the way the bishop handled the abuse settlement. I do not think he exemplified Christ in his actions. I am not surprised that people leave the church over situations like this.