• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Views on Taoism?

Klerkie

(not sure if I should put this here or in comparative religion, but...)
For a non-Taoist, how do you view Taoism? What do you find its most unappealing aspect is? What do you like about it?

Lintfelmy

What I like about it is freedom. Freedom from the ways of the world. Don't tell anyone ;) but I think Jesus was a Taoist...lol.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Well, I really can't make any clear distinctions between it and Zen, so my view on Taoism is - It's Zen looking itself in the mirror and saying "That's different somehow"

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
For a non-Taoist, how do you view Taoism? What do you find its most unappealing aspect is? What do you like about it?
I don't know much about Taoism, but I have a grasp of the Tao and find little if nothing unappealing about that. It makes good sense.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
I do like a lot of the philosophy behind it, and somehow even thought of some of its ideas before I had ever heard of it. I also LOVE how one can practice Taoism through martial arts :D

I'd say its most unappealing aspect to me is that I sense a lot of traditional Chinese ritual involved, as well as some appeals to the old Chinese Heavenly Bureaucracy. I suppose I'd need to do more research to be sure, though.

Nooj

none

I don't know much about it.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I know only a little about Taoism- what I learned in my Philosophy class and the few books I've read. I like what I hear, mostly. Sometimes, however, we have to force things, in my opinion, so I couldn't follow it 100%.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Tao Te Ching was okay. It didn't really do anything for me but it was a fine read.

Like many religions, Taoism is kind of broad, and there's sort of a subtle philosophical aspect to it that some people focus on and there's also a cosmology with magical beings and immortals and things like that which other people focus on.

The philosophy appeals to me in a limited sense while the cosmology and deities are pretty lost on me.