• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Violence and Religion

Rex

Founder
After this latest news in Paris I have to again ask myself why is violence and religion so entangled?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
After this latest news in Paris I have to again ask myself why is violence and religion so entangled?
Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. Actually most wars are fought over the control of resources.

Sultan Of Swing

Perhaps a better question would be, why is any ideology or worldview so entangled with violence? Patriotism, communism, etc.

On a deeper level, why is our human nature so entangled with violence?

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
The common factor in all these is people..... people are entangled with violence wherever you fid them

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The common factor in all these is people..... people are entangled with violence wherever you fid them

While violence is a universal human problem, those who adhere to some ideologies seem more inclined to violence than those who adhere to some other ideologies.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Perhaps a better question would be, why is any ideology or worldview so entangled with violence? Patriotism, communism, etc.

On a deeper level, why is our human nature so entangled with violence?

Precisely -- on both points. Human nature is seemingly contradictory. We can be quite peace loving at times, and quite violent at other times.

Wu Wei

While violence is a universal human problem, those who adhere to some ideologies seem more inclined to violence than those who adhere to some other ideologies.

Could be, or it could be the media reports some more than others....sensationalism pays you know.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Could be, or it could be the media reports some more than others....sensationalism pays you know.

So do you think it's just "the media reports it more" that Muslims as a group appear to be more disposed to violence than Tibetan Buddhists as a group?

Please don't misunderstand me. I agree with you that the media tends to report the violent acts of certain groups more than the violent acts of some other groups, but I also think there may be real differences in levels of violence between people of different ideologies.

Wu Wei

So you think it's just "the media reports it more" that Muslims as a group appear to be more disposed to violence than Tibetan Buddhists as a group?

No I don't, but I do think that we get a skewed vision of "Muslim groups" from the media and not all Muslim Groups are the same and most are not terrorists or extremists.

But I still fully believe that religions, by themselves, be they Christian, Buddhist or Islam are not violent. However when people begin to interpret them or use them for their own purposes and agenda...then the violence begins

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
No I don't, but I do think that we get a skewed vision of "Muslim groups" from the media and not all Muslim Groups are the same and most are not terrorists or extremists.

But I still fully believe that religions, by themselves, be they Christian, Buddhist or Islam are not violent. However when people begin to interpret them or use them for their own purposes and agenda...then the violence begins

Some ideologies seem to lend themselves to violent expression more than others, in my opinion.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

Hi.....
Last night I watched a US 'Most Violent Police Videos' program where a maniac anti-gov Father/Son team deliberately got stopped by a police patrol so that they could kill the cops with AK47's, all filmed from the cop-car's on-board camera.

It's not always religion.......?

Wu Wei

Some ideologies seem to lend themselves to violent expression more than others, in my opinion.

Can't argue with that, could be

I think the Abrahamic religions have got a lot to answer for.

yup, we could possibly start with the year 1096, most definitely 1478.... heck the entire "exploration" and colonization of North and South America..... but you are right...there is a lot there that many tend to be forgotten (sometimes conveniently) or ignored

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Perhaps in the case where religion demands certain truths be accepted. You have a truth, you have a cause, you have a purpose. People see other folks threatening that truth.

I believe certain things but have a willingness to accept other beliefs might be true and to be convinced my beliefs are incorrect. I don't feel threatened when my beliefs are questioned.

A religion demanding acceptance of a truth, you kind of have to give yourself over to that truth. That "truth" become part of who you are, part of your identity. If you threaten their beliefs you are personally threatening them.

The teaching of tolerance is not really part of some beliefs. It is just sometimes added on by more conscientiousness folks.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
While I do think certain religions make violence a bit easier to justify (compared to a religion that teaches ahimsa/non-violence), there's too many reasons deranged people could use as an excuse to commit atrocious acts. Almost anything can be entangled with violence and death.

And although today things look bleak, I keep hoping that humans will get better... Just as how today is better than 500 years ago.

outhouse

Atheistically

Because of the different levels of required fanaticism and fundamentalism different religions possess.

Obviously some require more then others.

If one has already climbed up 5 rungs of a ladder away from reality, it is easy to take one more step up into terrorism and violence.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Hi.....
Last night I watched a US 'Most Violent Police Videos' program where a maniac anti-gov Father/Son team deliberately got stopped by a police patrol so that they could kill the cops with AK47's, all filmed from the cop-car's on-board camera.

It's not always religion.......?

Did anyone ask about their religious affiliation?

Here in the USA it would be bad for ratings to bill them as "Christian Cop Killers", but if they were Muslims you can bet that would play.

Tom