• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Violence and Religion

illykitty

RF's pet cat
In a way, but looking back at the last century one of our main "accomplishments" has been developing the technology to kill on an industrial scale.

Perhaps, but we're still here, aren't we?

On the bright side, there's many advancements in various humans rights, medicine, beneficial technology, etc.

That's makes me hopeful.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Sure, science and technology have been put to some constructive uses as well.
I'll agree that we've always been more keen to advance the art of killing quicker than the art of healing, but I think that might be because one is far harder than the other. There are unlimited ways to destroy something organic, but to heal it? There's lots of variables involved, and too much of one thing, even if it's good for it, could still result in killing it.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Perhaps, but we're still here, aren't we?

Only just, from what I remember of growing up during the Cold War. ;)

There is room for optimism, but I sense the fundamentalist barbarians would be only too happy to drag us back to the Middle Ages.

On a deeper level, why is our human nature so entangled with violence?

Because it is human nature, there is no deeper reason. We don't wonder why cows eat grass or leopards kill gazelles. We are violent, we have to accept that as it is.

And although today things look bleak, I keep hoping that humans will get better... Just as how today is better than 500 years ago.

was it better 50 years ago though? 75 years ago? or 105 years ago? 20th C saw the worst wars and the most murderous regimes in history.

We exist in cycles, we don't progress. We hope that things will be different, but why would that start now? Things get better then things get worse again; there is no 'end of history'. We don't evolve in a few decades, we are as we are, and will remain thus.

Unfortunately, humanism is no less of a myth than any of history's religions.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
After this latest news in Paris I have to again ask myself why is violence and religion so entangled?

It is not so much religion as it is reliance on theism, IMO. Belief in God is self-justifying and all too prone to lead into disaster.