• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Violence vs Non-Violence: Which is Greater?

drsatish

Violence vs Non-Violence: Which is Greater?

If you distill and crystallize the viewpoints of the ‘greatest minds’ that walked on earth using
Fractional distillation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Crystallization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
it basically comes down to ‘Their’ advocating
Non-Violence over Violence
Eg. Buddha, Mahavira, Jesus, Gandhi, Martin Luther King, the Peace Part of Islam and others.

THAT IS ALL!

Their RELIGION is NON-VIOLENCE!

..but practically speaking, Violence SEEMS EFFECTIVE!
…for Humans!
…starting from Kindergarten…..”Spare the rod..and spoil the Child!”
To..Ph.D…level!
Militarization and Weaponization of Outer Space ? Global Issues

There seems to be SOME FUNDAMENTAL MIS-PERCEPTION/MISCONCEPTION
On Reality
As Seen by the Ph.D Minds
Vs
The Greatest Minds
On Earth.

You have a Ph.D or a Great Mind Response to This?
Satish

AfterGlow

Invisible Puffle
Violent tactics are only effective against those who respond to it, in much the same way that a child's tantrum is only effective against adults who respond.

The only time I can think that violence may be necessary is in fighting an opponent who does not or will not respond to reason. When up against a foe whose only aim is to destroy you, who will not stop when confronted with non-violence, then there is little else that can be done because not fighting back is tantamount to suicide.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
I believe both work dependent how what circumstance you're against. I don't discipline my child with spanking since I believe hitting a child will encourage that child to hit others to get a point across.
However, I believe in physical confrontation if you are being physically attacked and do encourage self defense practice.

drsatish

I believe both work dependent how what circumstance you're against. I don't discipline my child with spanking since I believe hitting a child will encourage that child to hit others to get a point across.
However, I believe in physical confrontation if you are being physically attacked and do encourage self defense practice.

I see from your pic that you can Well Defend!
Pray tell me, from WHAT you can Defend?
Poison Arrows?
Poison ICBMS?
Satish

Koldo

Outstanding Member
The only time I can think that violence may be necessary is in fighting an opponent who does not or will not respond to reason. When up against a foe whose only aim is to destroy you, who will not stop when confronted with non-violence, then there is little else that can be done because not fighting back is tantamount to suicide.

I also share this opinion.

drsatish

if i define 'greater' then i will sidetrack the OP. :)
By 'greater', do you mean 'better', 'more useful', 'more commonly used', or what?

Try sidetracking...

WHAT DO YOU MEAN by ...greater
do you mean 'better', 'more useful', 'more commonly used', or what?

Satish

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Try sidetracking...

WHAT DO YOU MEAN by ...greater
do you mean 'better', 'more useful', 'more commonly used', or what?

Satish

Okay.
Then violence is greater than non-violence.

On a side note, that is not how language works.

Last edited:

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Pls define what YOU consider as 'greater'.

Satish

If i may say, you're the OP, you asked which is greater. When you're asked for clarification for what you mean by 'greater', and then respond with the same question, that doesn't exactly help us get anywhere.

You need to clarify your question in order for it to be addressed properly.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
If i may say, you're the OP, you asked which is greater. When you're asked for clarification for what you mean by 'greater', and then respond with the same question, that doesn't exactly help us get anywhere.

You need to clarify your question in order for it to be addressed properly.

Exactly. ;)