• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Walking stick?

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
Who here uses a walking stick?

Anyone......?

I've been given one because a bulging disc in my spine makes walking very hard and painful

It works!

It makes getting about quite a bit easier
I use one when hiking. I don't absolutely need it. It just helps. It also makes a convenient weapon, just in case.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I use one when hiking. I don't absolutely need it. It just helps. It also makes a convenient weapon, just in case.
So do I.
2 hiking poles that is...when expecting steep trails.
My knees thank me.
BTW, mine are too light to be weapons.
But I have considered that carrying a cane would be
useful for that purpose, & for activities that require
much getting up & down (mechanic type work).

King Phenomenon

Veteran Member
I don’t know if I’m seeing things but my messages say 8857. Hmm I guess it’s more like 1143 before I’m a vet. I could’ve sworn it was in the 9 thousandths. How have I missed this for the past month? Haha

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

Anyone......?

I've been given one because a bulging disc in my spine makes walking very hard and painful

It works!

Since I got charged at by a few stray dogs and bitten months ago, I've sometimes carried a cane just to fend off any stray dogs in case they get aggressive toward me.

PureX

Veteran Member

Anyone......?

It works!

I make them occasionally. I have a couple of them around the house, now. Not canes, actual walking sticks. Taller, wider, strait, more for hiking.

I started making them for my dad as he was getting older and a little unstable on his feet. I don't really use them, myself, but I will in the winter if I choose to go walking when the ground might be a bit snowy or slippery.

Last edited:

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
You can get walking sticks that can turn into a sword

Probably not very legal though
In the US , in most places, it's legal. I think New York City still prohibits them. Old school gang violence I think.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Is there a distinction between a walking stick and a cane?

I always thought they were the same thing

Maybe all this time I've been mistaken?

I'm sure they may well be the same in some instances but I've used a trekking pole/stick for many years and, more recently, a cane (or walker). In my opinion they serve overlapping functions.