• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Walking stick?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I use a walking stick when hiking. It's the kind that has the removable pad that reveals a spike on the bottom for rougher terrain. Unfortunately, I haven't done much hiking this year because my hip pain level has surpassed that of my knee.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Is there a distinction between a walking stick and a cane?

I always thought they were the same thing

Maybe all this time I've been mistaken?
When you say walking stick, I'm thinking a stick significantly longer than a cane...something that comes up to shoulder height or higher...a staff, if you will. A cane, on the other hand, typically, is the length of your wrist to the ground.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
When hill-walking in the recent past I have used two trekking/walking poles, and probably should have taken to using them earlier. Very useful particularly when descending, but even though it is probably sensible to use the lightest (like carbon-fibre) I found that any fierce side wind could make their use problematic and more likely to trip one up - which happened to me once. Still have them so they might be used later in general although currently I am fine without.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Anyone......?

Sometimes i use hiking poles while out walking, handy for poking around in vegetation and checking out mushrooms. Also I've never had to use them but they could be a handy weapon.