• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

War and Religion

Is man lost without war? Is violence inherent in the physiological make up of human beings? Why do our leaders pervert religion ever more by going on holy wars, saying their religion permits it, or clinging to documents that should have long since been updated? The main message of most religion is compassion. Why can't we show compassion. Why can't we as a race lift the rocks of enlightment and see peace? A universal enlightenment is knocking at our door.

Ormiston

I believe the religious face of all these wars is for the public. It gives purpose to it other than land, power, greed, money, oil, etc...which, in my opinion, is what war is ALWAYS about. You can't run a successful "World Power" with religious morality as your guide. It requires a set of ethics from a much more primitive source. And rightly so! Everyone has enemies, whether they know it or not. And you can't be nice to your enemies and expect the same in return. The world may or may not be becoming more civilized, but as a whole it is still a primitive place where "Might makes right" often and "Survival of the fittest" is still in effect.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
ALifetimeToWaitFor... said:
Is violence inherent in the physiological make up of human beings?
Yes. Violence (and war) are definitely part of human nature. This does not mean that we need or are compelled to condone it.

Why do our leaders pervert religion ever more by going on holy wars, saying their religion permits it, or clinging to documents that should have long since been updated?
Politicians know very well that it is easier to mobilize people to go to war and support war when you confuse those people into believing there is a religious reason for the war.

The main message of most religion is compassion. Why can't we show compassion. Why can't we as a race lift the rocks of enlightment and see peace? A universal enlightenment is knocking at our door.
Compassion is also part of human nature, and should be cultivated.

Yes i know that poltics requires religion to motivate the people, what im trying to say is that how can a well educated people be that not educated in their specific religion, to know thats it wrong to kill and pillage, because thats our current situation.

Ormiston

Yes i know that poltics requires religion to motivate the people, what im trying to say is that how can a well educated people be that not educated in their specific religion, to know thats it wrong to kill and pillage, because thats our current situation.
Perhaps it's human nature to ignore your ethics when the going gets tough or when power is on the line. It's "Christian" to sin. Isn't that one of main themes of the dominant religions? That people are far from perfect and no matter how hard they try, will continue to screw up their entire lives? Even if we managed to achieve World Peace it would only be temporary. Someone would stir up some trouble sooner or later.

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
That is why most religions IN THE PAST (I don't want anyone attacking me) tried to keep the general population UN-educated.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
spacemonkey said:
That is why most religions IN THE PAST (I don't want anyone attacking me) tried to keep the general population UN-educated.
Do you think most countries with poor education right now are keeping them from getting educated? Or is it a monetary issue. You have some tweaked views man.

~Victor

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Is violence inherent in the physiological make up of human beings?

yes. it is. Because some things are so crappy that they are worth fighting against.

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
Victor said:
Do you think most countries with poor education right now are keeping them from getting educated? Or is it a monetary issue. You have some tweaked views man.

~Victor
Did you not see the capital letters saying IN THE PAST? Are you denying the existance of the Dark Ages or that the Church persecuted those whose therories (i.e. the world is round, the Earth rotates around the Sun, etc.) went against what they said to be the "truth". If so it is you who has the twisted view, not me.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
spacemonkey said:
Did you not see the capital letters saying IN THE PAST? Are you denying the existance of the Dark Ages or that the Church persecuted those whose therories (i.e. the world is round, the Earth rotates around the Sun, etc.) went against what they said to be the "truth". If so it is you who has the twisted view, not me.
Of course I know that. To say that the Church challenged people like Galileo is true. But to say they kept them un-educated is quite another. Past, present, or future. And is inaccurate of you to say that the Catholic Church as a whole taught science as doctrine. Check this out: http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_academies/acdscien/

Does that look like they are anti-education or science?
I do think they have always been anti-my view [speaking of a bishop or a particular bishop]. But never was it doctrine or dogma.

~Victor

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Not all religions condemn war and value peace but most of today's mainstream religions at least pay lip-service to this position. After a frank and disinterested reading of the teachings of Jesus Christ, though, I can find no way whatever to square warfare with Christianity, or, perhaps I should say, with the teachings of Christ as presented in the New Testament.