• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Adam Jewish?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I suppose that would depend on ones interpretation of the Gospels. In some sense, Jesus 'Jewish', in them, however, that does not say very much considering the context, as a whole. Add in almost any other Xian context, and I would say, although 'Jewish', in the man sense, saying that Jesu was Jewish in the modern sense is a awkward statement/

This also brings us to the question, did anyone say that Jesus wasn't Jewish?
Nope. Got confused with another thread. Happy to discuss in a private chat though.

Random

No, Adam was not 'Jewish', nor was Eve, Seth, Jared, Enoch, Noah or any of his sons. The tradition is traced back to Abraham's son Jacob (later called 'Israel').

rosends

No, Adam was not 'Jewish', nor was Eve, Seth, Jared, Enoch, Noah or any of his sons. The tradition is traced back to Abraham's son Jacob (later called 'Israel').
As has been stated, the label of "Jewish" (as a practitioner of "Judaism") has 2 reasonable starting points -- one is the revelation at Sinai and the ratification of the Sianaitic/Mosaic covenant and code. At that point, ritual and practice which established the shape and form of what Jewish practice is starting taking hold. The term refers to the remnants of the Kingdom of Judah -- those who practiced the laws as handed down in the desert. While the Jewish writings claim that the forefathers (dating back well before Abraham) had access to some of the same divine laws and concepts and studied the monotheistic God, they would only be called "Jewish" in some shorthand which casts back a later term to help contextualize the nature of their knowledge and behavior. They were not "Jews" in the religio-legal sense.

NulliuSINverba

nice approach.....
and I often refer to Wiki, even though many posters here don't consider it a sure reference.

It's a readily accessible starting point. Nothing more. Nothing less.

I'd cite the books in my library, but that'd create obstacles and a lot of leg-work for others. I'd rather utilize resources that we all have access to.

Eve is a clone (not born of woman.....no navel)
Adam was given his twin sister for a bride.

frolixo~redneck.jpg

"Sounds like paradise t'me!"

Now some people think I go too far .......but I didn't write Genesis.

How can you be so certain?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
It's a readily accessible starting point. Nothing more. Nothing less.

I'd cite the books in my library, but that'd create obstacles and a lot of leg-work for others. I'd rather utilize resources that we all have access to.

How can you be so certain?
That the garden event happened?

Man diverged.
It happened quick.

That there is a long standing story .....doesn't surprise me,

leibowde84

Veteran Member
private chat? I don't think that that is necessary. If you actually think that the bible is as fictional etc as you state, I'm not sure what we would discuss anyway.
That's a straw man. Never claimed that. Just pointed out that it is a possibility, which is undeniable.