• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Jesus a Virgin?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
doppelgänger;2581175 said:
Ahem. The prophecy is that a "virgin (or maiden) would conceive." It is a NECESSARY COMPONENT OF THE STORY in mainstream Christian belief that Jesus is the literal son of God. The details of how that occurs are left out for obvious reasons ("it's magic"), but God engages in some form of reproduction with Mary, so that he can have a son to carry out his mission. And that Mary was a virgin was of apparent importance. The relationship is sexual.

Do you know how babies are made?
you don't have to be obtuse. I obviously know how babies are made. What's not quite so clear to me is your grasp of Christian theology. Had you a good grasp, you wouldn't have said what you did here, for mainstream Christian belief maintains that the necessary component is that Jesus is God Incarnate, as God the Son. The details are left out because the relationship is miraculous, but decidedly not sexual. That Mary was a virgin is cogent for two reasons: 1) Many accounts of the births of god-men involve a virgin birth, 2) in that culture, any unmarried "young woman" would have been a virgin.

sojourner

doppelgänger;2581199 said:
Correct. "Only begotten" is translated from the Greek monogenes - from genus meaning "type" and monos meaning "only." "Unique" is probably a better translation than "only begotten."

But still, the "son" part is definitely there as well. That means somehow a haploid set of DNA from God found its way to one of Mary's eggs.
"Somehow" =/= "sex.":facepalm:

especially since the gospel writers knew nothing of the process of fertilization or conception.

sojourner

Jesus purpose in coming to earth was to glorify his Father, and finish his work, not to enjoy married life. (John 17: 4) There is absolutely no reason to believe Jesus married, unlike some of his apostles, who were married men. Jesus came to minister and give his life as a ransom. (Matthew 20:28). To claim the Bible would omit such a significant event as marriage in Christ's life is simply not credible.
If Jesus was fully human -- to the point of dying a horrible death -- then he was also here to partake of human joy.

Why is it not credible? Women were unimportant in that culture. The marriage had nothing to do with his ministry. It may have been a given -- like other human activities that aren't mentioned. When I read stories about great ministers, I don't get a whole lot of information about "Mrs. Coffin," or "Mrs. Sunday," or "Mrs. Graham," or "Mrs. Sojourner," for that matter. Private lives are not germane to the ministry.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Jesus purpose in coming to earth was to glorify his Father, and finish his work, not to enjoy married life. (John 17: 4) There is absolutely no reason to believe Jesus married, unlike some of his apostles, who were married men. Jesus came to minister and give his life as a ransom. (Matthew 20:28). To claim the Bible would omit such a significant event as marriage in Christ's life is simply not credible.
Wow.
And to think that Jesus never once had to poop....
I mean, the Bible doe snot mention any divine bowel movements so they must never have happened, right?

sojourner

Another reason would be that the gospel stories about Jesus originated from the Gnostic stories about Isu Chrestos, a phantom saviour from heaven.
I don't think so. Stories about Jesus originated from very rural, very Judaic sources. Gnosticism is hellenistic.

sojourner

Wow.
And to think that Jesus never once had to poop....
I mean, the Bible doe snot mention any divine bowel movements so they must never have happened, right?
I wonder if they could be read -- like tea-leaves, you know, in order to divine prophecies...:facepalm:

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I wonder if they could be read -- like tea-leaves, you know, in order to divine prophecies...:facepalm:
wow.
Way to go.
Now you gonna have them out scouring the lands for Jesus feces...

though perhaps that is why they are never mentioned in the Bible?

sojourner

wow.
Way to go.
Now you gonna have them out scouring the lands for Jesus feces...

though perhaps that is why they are never mentioned in the Bible?
This may be where the term "Welcome as a turd in the punchbowl" comes from...

Me Myself

Back to my username
If Jesus got married he would have had to have dirty thoughts.

Without lust, a man cannot make children.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Was Jesus a virgin?

What puzzles me is this:

Suppose he was a virgin. If so, then wasn't his understanding of humanity limited?

Suppose he was not a virgin. If so, then wasn't his virginity lost out of wedlock?

I'm not sure how this can be resolved....
He may have been uh...violated in some way. He could keep his "virginity" while having the experience of being violated.
:run: