• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was jesus disabled

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
There's two reasons jesus mightve been disabled. First...think about disability. It means a lack of ability. If God was an all powerful then coming to earth being a hjman is nerfing his abilities. Limiting them thus making himself disabled and limited by his form as Jesus.

Another reason is he was crucified. When he was he took onto himself injury bodily harm. Causing disability. When he was healed and resurrected he still had scars from it. Does the bible mention that there was no other permanent damage? Clearly his skin was flawed it was permanently marred. And clearly he was healed enough he wasnt dead. But could he have had other permanent damage like chronic pain? Does the bible mention this at all? That he didn't have such damage?

Im not a christian. This is a theory ive heard elsewhere and thought I'd share and debate.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
There's two reasons jesus mightve been disabled. First...think about disability. It means a lack of ability. If God was an all powerful then coming to earth being a hjman is nerfing his abilities. Limiting them thus making himself disabled and limited by his form as Jesus.

Another reason is he was crucified. When he was he took onto himself injury bodily harm. Causing disability. When he was healed and resurrected he still had scars from it. Does the bible mention that there was no other permanent damage? Clearly his skin was flawed it was permanently marred. And clearly he was healed enough he wasnt dead. But could he have had other permanent damage like chronic pain? Does the bible mention this at all? That he didn't have such damage?

Im not a christian. This is a theory ive heard elsewhere and thought I'd share and debate.
It is Biblical that the suffering servant suffers are wounds, suffers especially with the poor and sick.

When mother Teresa went into slums to hold and clean rotting and dying lepers or abandoned disabled people, she said it was Jesus in disguise.

It is Biblical that he suffers with those who suffer, has their tears numbered, and hears the cry of the poor. It causes some sort of suffering.

Our sins allegedly cause some sort of damage to him allegedly as the sacrificial lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world.

But you bring up a good point that the term "doubting Tomas" came from the fact that Tomas would not believe it was the christ unless he could put his fingers where the nails pierced his hands, and where the lance pierced his side/chest/heart etc.

So, a lot of christians like mother Teresa took care of the disabled, because they believed they were taking care of Christ, as if he was more present in such people (and the poor).

It is Biblical that the suffering servant suffers are wounds, suffers especially with the poor and sick.

When mother Teresa went into slums to hold and clean rotting and dying lepers or abandoned disabled people, she said it was Jesus in disguise.

It is Biblical that he suffers with those who suffer, has their tears numbered, and hears the cry of the poor. It causes some sort of suffering.

Our sins allegedly cause some sort of damage to him allegedly as the sacrificial lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world.

But you bring up a good point that the term "doubting Tomas" came from the fact that Tomas would not believe it was the christ unless he could put his fingers where the nails pierced his hands, and where the lance pierced his side/chest/heart etc.

So, a lot of christians like mother Teresa took care of the disabled, because they believed they were taking care of Christ, as if he was more present in such people (and the poor).
That is a very beautiful ways to put it. Of course Jesus is disabled because Jesus is all of us. You are a very compassionate person.

Bible tells Jesus is the man, not the one and only true God.

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
1 Tim. 2:5
... Does the bible mention this at all? That he didn't have such damage?
Bible doesn't say Jesus had permanent damage or pain.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
It only works if you think Jesus is God.
Why can't a resurrected body that is given immortality in the Eternal kingdom of the creator, still have permanent wounds, scars, damage, and disabilities, without being God?

Or, does Jesus have to be God with a Capital G, to be the sacrificial lamb of God, the suffering servant who takes away the sins of the world, atoned for sin with shed blood and death, in order to rise from the dead, ascend into heaven, and exist for eternity with the marks of the stigmata ? Can't God do the same thing with a suffering servant who is less than God?

Elijah and Enoch allegedly never died and are not God.

Jesus did say he and the father are one, and did not object to people calling him lord and kneeling before him and worshipping him. But I have seen the scriptures that are basis for arguments for both sides, which is why I don't like arguments about which dogma is true. They have been going on thousands of years, no proof of who is Right.

Last edited:

Tomef

As a character development thing, I mean it seems unlikely that the gospels, written decades after his death, accurately portray his life and character to more than a passing degree, some kind of disability might explain his ability to empathise.

rocala

some kind of disability might explain his ability to empathise.
This is very interesting. I am not a Christian and certainly do not believe in the resurrection. I am thinking though that his problems may have been emotional rather than physical. We know nothing of his missing years, perhaps he suffered terribly such as losing his wife and children. Many people have become spiritual after grief or other suffering.

Tomef

This is very interesting. I am not a Christian and certainly do not believe in the resurrection. I am thinking though that his problems may have been emotional rather than physical. We know nothing of his missing years, perhaps he suffered terribly such as losing his wife and children. Many people have become spiritual after grief or other suffering.
Maybe? Not much is known about the real Jesus, I sometimes wonder if his impact on the world was more about good publicity than anything he might have said or done himself. It's fun to speculate, though.

PearlSeeker

The Bible says he emptied himself (kenosis) to become a man. You could interpret it as becoming disabled but as a man he was not disabled. He even had greater abilities than other men.

Why do you regard scars as disability? Definition of disability:

1. a physical or mental condition that limits a person's movements, senses, or activities.

VoidCat

The Bible says he emptied himself (kenosis) to become a man. You could interpret it as becoming disabled but as a man he was not disabled. He even had greater abilities than other men.

Why do you regard scars as disability? Definition of disability:

1. a physical or mental condition that limits a person's movements, senses, or activities.
Skin is an organ. Scars damage that organ and it's job to protect the body being it's thinner then it was. Scars can also limit movement affecting muscles nerves tendons and joints and reduce blood supply. Certain types of scarring on the knee can for instance stop you from being able to fully straighten your knee. I know he didnt have scarring on the knee but it's something to consider his skin was pieced through. Scars build up on the inside of the body as well as the outside if they are deep enough. I also am considering that fact it's a sign that he was seriously injured. How much was he healed? That's not mentioned in the bible. We know it was enough he wasnt dead. But it's not completely. If it was he would not have the scars from it. So how much was he healed? Often folk have chronic pain after surgery. Would he have that after being healed? It's not mentioned in the bible that he did or didnt.

Last edited:

VoidCat

@PearlSeeker
To quote from Scar Tissue and the Ways it Can Affect Your Body - Structura Body Therapies

The most common side effects of scar tissue that hasn’t healed properly are basically reduced down to pain and dysfunction, reduction in range of motion, as well as an inability to “fire” or engage the muscles that are covered in the scar tissue. When someone is experiencing pain from scar tissue pinning down an area, it will usually feel like the following:

• Radiating, throbbing pain surrounding the area that the scar tissue is encasing (both above and below the original site of injury)
  • An acutely awkward sensation with range of motion, almost as though the area is “stuck” and will not perform regular degrees of range of motion without feeling pinched/tweaked
  • Reduction in strength or endurance in the musculature that was affected
    • Ex: injury to the wrist will cause lack of “grip strength” in the hand and fingers, as well as a general lack of strength in the entire arm if the scar tissue is not addressed early on either from atrophy or severe compensation in how the arm is now being used
something to point out- in Ancient Greek part of the hand includes the wrist. When crucified Jesus would've had to been pierced through the wrist so body would not fall off the cross. Meaning he couldve had some issues with grip strength. I'd also point out even with proper healing these side effects the site listed can occur due to the reduction in flexibility of the skin and also depending on how deep the scarring is into the skin inside the body.

Last edited:

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist

Aren't we all a little disabled? There's a very large pool of humans from where God operates, among many other if not everything else. I have a specific capability as an individual and although I'm able to grow and develop, I have limitations. We all do. We all suffer too. We all cry every now and then. We all laugh every now and then. The sun rises and sets, and the rain falls on everyone every now and then. I'm suggesting that as he was, so are we. That's the Christian message. Mother Teresa chose or was placed in her position based on her unique life as an individual. The same is true for the rest of us. Getting in where I fit in is an ongoing effort, but I bounce around from place to place and get along well enough to claim a semi-interesting life. The larger body and its many parts are spread out across the globe, among every people and every culture, consisting of all the mansions we as individuals originate from. Disabled? Pete does that other thing better anyway, and Sarah shines at what she does. Me, well ... They call me Jack ... It's a patented position, I guess. Master of none seems to be common for the Jacks among us. Maybe one day I'll earn my masters. Who knows?