• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Jesus gay?

I think there's just as much evidence in the Bible that Jesus is gay as there were in the Harry Potter books that Dumbledore was gay. Basically, unless one of the apostles comes back to life and tells us that, "Yes, in fact, Jesus was gay", then the whole issue is up to interpretation and will never be resolved in either direction.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I think there's just as much evidence in the Bible that Jesus is gay as there were in the Harry Potter books that Dumbledore was gay. Basically, unless one of the apostles comes back to life and tells us that, "Yes, in fact, Jesus was gay", then the whole issue is up to interpretation and will never be resolved in either direction.
Except that the author of the Potter books has said that Dumbledore was gay.

Except that the author of the Potter books has said that Dumbledore was gay.

Right.So, like I said, only if one of the people who wrote the Bible came back to life and confirmed Jesus' homoesexuality, as J.K. Rowling did (minus the coming back to life part, since, as far as I know, J.K. Rowling is not a zombie... yet), then we can all start operating under the newfound belief that Jesus was, in fact, gay.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Right.So, like I said, only if one of the people who wrote the Bible came back to life and confirmed Jesus' homoesexuality, as J.K. Rowling did (minus the coming back to life part, since, as far as I know, J.K. Rowling is not a zombie... yet), then we can all start operating under the newfound belief that Jesus was, in fact, gay.

And how many of the authors have actually met the Jesus they wrote about?

And so what if Jesus was gay?
How, exactly, does his being gay effect anything he said?

Seems to me that claiming Jesus was gay without even the least bit of credible evidence would be called an ad hominem.

And how many of the authors have actually met the Jesus they wrote about?

And so what if Jesus was gay?
How, exactly, does his being gay effect anything he said?

Seems to me that claiming Jesus was gay without even the least bit of credible evidence would be called an ad hominem.

Quite frankly, I don't care whether or not he was gay, since, as you correctly point out, his sexuality has absolutely no effect on anything he said.

But there are two ways to approach proof of his sexuality:

1) If we believe that Jesus was a fictional character, then the only way he can be gay is if the authors of his existence claimed him to be so.
2) If we believe he was a real person, then the only person who can confirm the status of his sexuality, is the man himself.

Either way, it doesn't, or shouldn't, really matter.

Diederick

Jesus never mentioned homosexuality. Actually, the entire Bible is devoid of the word. Nothing - or at least extremely little - was known of homosexuality at that time. The Bible does condemn a lot of things, especially Leviticus is an often used book to condemn homosexuals with. Leviticus however, also condemns shellfish and orders the most gruesome violence toward practically anyone and anything that trespasses the laws - that were arguably just laid down to keep the temple staff 'pure'. For homosexuals that are struggling with the harsh words in the Bible (that actually believe what it says) I would like to say the following:

The Bible is a collection of Books, it is not one. Some books are outdated, like Leviticus. The Bible is not the absolute word of God, it was written by people who were to a degree inspired by God. What is most important is that it gives stories that are concerned with the Christian religion, and tells the story of Jesus Christ. That is all. There is no literal truth - just the story that you can take from the pages of the Bible. Read Samuel 1 & Samuel 2, concentrate on the story of David and Jonathan for comfort. If you are looking for a (more or less) complete investigation of the subject, download "A Letter To Louise", the response by a baptist minister to questions of a dear friend of his family concerning the subject. I would give you the link, but I can't (it'd be deleted again), so here's an alternative:
WorldWideWeb
dot
God made
me

GAY dot
Commercial

That's not a real link, right?

Jesus might have been gay, he might not have been. What is certain is that - if he existed and was gay - it would not have been recognized as a natural form of sexuality (they had no clue about this kind of thing) and such feelings or actions would probably have been repressed by Jesus or either have been wiped away from history by the people who assembled and/or reformed the Bible throughout the ages.

Last edited:

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
Well if someone wants to go to the trouble of gaining this proof then it only gives more credibility to the fact that He did exist.......:D

jtartar

Actually, that issue is not new to me.:) I also heard some people like Leonardo Da Vinci who said that Jesus had a relationship with Mary Magdalene, some say that He is not the Messiah, some say that His second coming is near,huh, whatever. I'm not supprised that some people say that he's gay this time.However those "hissays" and "hersays" are just bulk ideas that even those who spread it cannot defend it properly. Can't wait to hear another issue 'bout Jesus....;)

Lawrence,
This is one concept that you can be certain of, especially when you recognize the place Jesus has in God's purpose. The Bible is very clear, in both the Hebrew and the Greek Scriptures; There will be NO homosexuals in God's Kingdom, Lev 20:13, 18:22, Rom 1:26,27,32,1Cor 6:9,10, 1 Tim 1:9,10, Eph 5:3-5, Gal 5:19-21.
Jesus will be the King of God's Messianic Kingdom, so he cannot be and never was a homosexual!!!

Spiritone

Well, Jesus did have to endure the human experience and overcome a lot of temptations so it's possible that He was gay and overcame it as I believe all gays should try to do. (No offense intended, just an opinion). It's the same as an alcoholic struggling against alcoholism or any of the other things that we need to overcome for the good of all. It's complicated I know and takes a lot of thought but that's one facet of the diamond.

Last edited: