• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Jesus Married? It's either yes or no.

Brian Schuh

Mary Magdalena anointed Jesus' head and feet. No rabbi would let a woman touch him without marriage. A rabbi won't let his own wife touch him during that time of month. Judas did not object to Mary touching him, Judas objected on different grounds. It is obvious to me, Mary played the role of the wife of Jesus. I don't doubt she could have been pregnant by Jesus or by prostitution at the time of the trial of Jesus. I don't know why people can't see this, and I also don't know what it has to do with the price of condoms in a Korean brothel.

blue taylor

line 1: ... not [to] me. My mother gave me life ...
line 2: ... The disciples said to Jesus, ...
line 3: ... deny. Mary is (not?) worthy of it. ...
line 4: ... Jesus said to them, "My wife ...
line 5: ... she is able to be my disciple ...
line 6: ... Let wicked people swell up ...
line 7: ... As for me, I am with her in order to ...
line 8: ... an image ...

For the verso:

line 1: ... my moth[er] ...
line 2: ... three ...
line 3: ... ....
line 4: ... forth ...
lines 5 & 6: illegible ink traces

Text of the Gospel Of Jesus's Wife.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
To believe that Jesus was married is to scream that you have no idea why he came as a human and why he could never marry or have children.

Do none of you understand what Jesus being married and having children would have meant? Do you not understand the mechanics of the ransom at all?

Brian Schuh

To believe that Jesus was married is to scream that you have no idea why he came as a human and why he could never marry or have children.

Do none of you understand what Jesus being married and having children would have meant? Do you not understand the mechanics of the ransom at all?
If the wages of sin is death, i.e. the punishment for sin is death, and Jesus paid this penalty by his death, why do Christians still die? Why aren't they like pre-sin Adam and Eve and never die? You shall die for your sin. The Prophet Ezekiel said no one dies for another's sin, not son for father nor father for son, every man dies for his own sin. Nine men in history did not die, two are in the Bible, Enoch and Elijah. They committed nothing that deserved death. So if Jesus received your punishment, which is death, do you believe you won't die? Or do you admit it is just a lie.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
Mary Magdalena anointed Jesus' head and feet. No rabbi would let a woman touch him without marriage. A rabbi won't let his own wife touch him during that time of month.
You do have a good point. I'm not sure that it's proof of anything, and I have no strong opinions either way on whether He was married or not. Regardless of His marital status, however, He could still have been the Son of God and the Savior of the world. I believe that He paid the price for our sins and became the first person ever to overcome death. A married man could have done this just as well as a single man.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
If the wages of sin is death, i.e. the punishment for sin is death, and Jesus paid this penalty by his death, why do Christians still die?

Why did it take Jesus 4,000 years to put in an appearance the first time?.....and why have we been waiting another 2,000 years for him to come back?
Answer those questions and you will be able to answer yours.

Why aren't they like pre-sin Adam and Eve and never die? You shall die for your sin.

What was the theme of Jesus' entire ministry? Wasn't it the coming of the Kingdom of God? (Matt 6:9, 10) With the coming of God's Kingdom, his will can be done "on earth as it is in heaven".

So, to answer these questions you need to know what death is (according to the Bible, not the churches.)
You need to know what the kingdom is and "how" it comes, when it will come, and what it will accomplish for humankind when it does.

Revelation 21:2-5:
"I also saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God and prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3 With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say: “Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his people. And God himself will be with them. 4 And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.” 5 And the One seated on the throne said: “Look! I am making all things new.” Also he says: “Write, for these words are faithful and true.”

You need to know when this is to be fulfilled, and why it hasn't happened yet. Who is God with? Where are they? In heaven or on earth?

The Prophet Ezekiel said no one dies for another's sin, not son for father nor father for son, every man dies for his own sin. Nine men in history did not die, two are in the Bible, Enoch and Elijah. They committed nothing that deserved death. So if Jesus received your punishment, which is death, do you believe you won't die? Or do you admit it is just a lie.

God's law to Israel demonstrated that justice demands equivalency. This is seen in Exodus 21:23-25:
"But if a fatality does occur, then you must give life for life,  eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,  burn for burn, wound for wound, blow for blow. (see also Deuteronomy 19:21)

When Adam disobeyed the only law that carried the death penalty, he paid for that sin with his own life, but since he lost perfection before his children were born, he could only pass on the defect of sin to them. (Romans 5:12) Since there was no equivalent among mankind who was equal to Adam, (sinless) the life offered to redeem his children from an eternal cycle of sin and death, had to come from outside the now defective human race. Hence this is why Jesus had to come from heaven to be born as a human equivalent of Adam...to pay to God the price for their redemption....a perfect life for a perfect life.

You have to understand the mechanics of the ransom to appreciate what Jesus did and why it was impossible for him to marry or have children. It was never to be part of the specific mission for which his Father sent him.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
Mary Magdalena anointed Jesus' head and feet. No rabbi would let a woman touch him without marriage. A rabbi won't let his own wife touch him during that time of month. Judas did not object to Mary touching him, Judas objected on different grounds. It is obvious to me, Mary played the role of the wife of Jesus. I don't doubt she could have been pregnant by Jesus or by prostitution at the time of the trial of Jesus. I don't know why people can't see this, and I also don't know what it has to do with the price of condoms in a Korean brothel.

Also, Mary went to the grave to prepare Jesus' body. It was a very intimate act which only a family member or wife would participate in. There is much more to Mary than tradition would have it. She wasn't a prostitute, she was wealthy, as was Joanna, her friend who was married to Chuza, who was King Herod Antipas' equivalent of chief-of-staff. They, "and Susanna, and many others, ...ministered unto him of their substance", IOW, money or other forms of support.

You've bought into Paul's Mithraic revisionism of what Jesus' followers learned from him. No one, not even God, can die as a substitute for your lack of repentance. Both Jesus and John the Baptist taught salvation through repentance. Paul said you don't even have to try to be good, just believe. Human sacrifice as a salvific death is one of the greatest pagan myths that Paul incorporated into what should rightly be called Paulism.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Also, Mary went to the grave to prepare Jesus' body. It was a very intimate act which only a family member or wife would participate in. There is much more to Mary than tradition would have it. She wasn't a prostitute, she was wealthy, as was Joanna, her friend who was married to Chuza, who was King Herod Antipas' equivalent of chief-of-staff. They, "and Susanna, and many others, ...ministered unto him of their substance", IOW, money or other forms of support.

There is not a single reference to Jesus as a married man on earth. His mission did not include a wife or children as he was not sent to find a literal wife, he was sent to give his life for mankind and to choose a heavenly "bride".
His "marriage" was foretold, but it was definitely not to take place on earth. His "bride" was the Christian congregation of his disciples, chosen by God to rule with him in heaven. (Revelation 21:2; 9; 20:6)

You've bought into Paul's Mithraic revisionism of what Jesus' followers learned from him. No one, not even God, can die as a substitute for your lack of repentance. Both Jesus and John the Baptist taught salvation through repentance. Paul said you don't even have to try to be good, just believe. Human sacrifice as a salvific death is one of the greatest pagan myths that Paul incorporated into what should rightly be called Paulism.

This is a complete misreading of scripture. Jesus came to give his life and Paul did certainly NOT deny Christ's mission, nor did he alter the basis for salvation.
As Christ himself said....
Matthew 20:28:
"even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

Paul did speak about repentance.....
Rom 2:3-5:
"But do you suppose, O man, that while you judge those who practice such things and yet you do them, you will escape the judgment of God?  Or do you despise the riches of his kindness and forbearance and patience, because you do not know that God in his kindness is trying to lead you to repentance?  But according to your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath for yourself on the day of wrath and of the revealing of God’s righteous judgment."

2 Corinthians 7:9-10:
"now I rejoice, not because you were just saddened, but because you were saddened into repenting. For you were saddened in a godly way, so that you suffered no harm because of us.  For sadness in a godly way produces repentance leading to salvation, leaving no regret; but the sadness of the world produces death."

2 Timothy 2:24-26:
"For a slave of the Lord does not need to fight, but needs to be gentle toward all, qualified to teach, showing restraint when wronged, 25 instructing with mildness those not favorably disposed. Perhaps God may give them repentance leading to an accurate knowledge of truth, 26 and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the Devil, seeing that they have been caught alive by him to do his will."

"Mithraic revionism"? "Paulism"?......what rubbish! :rolleyes:

First Baseman

Retired athlete
Politically motivated gospels edited many times and inserted by religious zealots in the council of Nicea to make Jesus a God so that even 2000 years later adults with the brain of 7 year olds will actually believe it as the truth and reject the other gospels that were written simply because if their non divine status of Jesus doesn't count.
False gospels possiblity.

Man, those old lies are so lame I get tired of hearing them. You show me current translations of the Gospels that differ. I want to see your links. Guess what? You won't find any. Surprise!

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
Man, those old lies are so lame I get tired of hearing them. You show me current translations of the Gospels that differ. I want to see your links. Guess what? You won't find any. Surprise!

How can I?
Your church burnt them all and the people who tried to get their hands on them. And even if I show you a hundred links to evidence, it will never be enough for you or its inaccurate or anti Christian.
Why should I attempt an assignment if I know the teacher will throw it out and hand me a passage of his book that prohibits questioning.
Our previous chats are evident that everything is a lie except your book and whatever you say. Your arrogance and ignorance isn't something anyone sane would even attempt to change, much less someone who can't stop cracking up at every single of your replies. :p

Brian Schuh

Well Mary Magdalena has been sainted by Eastern Orthodox, so if she was promiscuous, it isn't politically correct, so to speak, of her as a whore or prostitute. But you are saying that in actuality she wasn't, right?

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
This is a complete misreading of scripture. Jesus came to give his life and Paul did certainly NOT deny Christ's mission, nor did he alter the basis for salvation.

I not saying he denied that mission, just the opposite, I'm saying he invented it.

Paul did speak about repentance.....

Paul said whatever was expedient. To wit:

But didn’t he earn his right to heaven by all the good things he did? No, for being saved is a gift; if a person could earn it by being good, then it wouldn’t be free—but it is! It is given to those who do not work for it. For God declares sinners to be good in his sight if they have faith in Christ to save them from God’s wrath.
--- Romans 4:4

"Mithraic revionism"? "Paulism"?......what rubbish! :rolleyes:

Well, guess that demolished my argument.

The number of the beast, "six-hundred threescore and six" (NOT the number in anachronistic arabic numerals, 666) is Jewish Gematria for Tarsus. "Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast". And I didn't arrive at this myself, rather it came from a group of modern day Ebionim--the name taken by some of the early Jewish followers of Jesus, who like Jesus' brother James and the Jewish Jerusalem Church, were in opposition/enmity with Paul--one of whom I'm sure wrote that portion of Revelation.

Well Mary Magdalena has been sainted by Eastern Orthodox, so if she was promiscuous, it isn't politically correct, so to speak, of her as a whore or prostitute. But you are saying that in actuality she wasn't, right?

Yes. And btw, sainthood is a sham, at least those determined by religious bureaucracies. That said, certainly some were.

First Baseman

Retired athlete
How can I?
Your church burnt them all and the people who tried to get their hands on them. And even if I show you a hundred links to evidence, it will never be enough for you or its inaccurate or anti Christian.
Why should I attempt an assignment if I know the teacher will throw it out and hand me a passage of his book that prohibits questioning.
Our previous chats are evident that everything is a lie except your book and whatever you say. Your arrogance and ignorance isn't something anyone sane would even attempt to change, much less someone who can't stop cracking up at every single of your replies. :p

No links? I figured. You blow a lot of hot air, you know that?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Or it is evidence that they have not bought into the Watchtowers version of Jesus....

i suspect that most do not know the Watchtower version.
I mean, it isn't as though the Watchtower version is clearly arrived at from the Bible.

Don't get me wrong, I am not making any claim either way of the Watchtowers version being right or wrong.
Merely pointing out that not only do most people not know the Watchtower version, but that the Watchtower is in the exact same "can't show their version is true" boat as every single other version.