• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was the Buddha a vegetarian?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I think we're in agreement that vegetables are alive, just as animals are also alive - whether that life is less or more is another argument altogether.
Good point. Makes me wonder if animals didn't feel pain, would meat eating even be a contention ?

It's pain and suffering, not taking of life itself in order to live and be healthy as possible.

buddhist

Good point. Makes me wonder if animals didn't feel pain, would meat eating even be a contention ?

It's pain and suffering, not taking of life itself in order to live and be healthy as possible.
I agree. So if plants are alive, and (I believe, like a seemingly growing number of scientists also believe) that plants also feel pain and suffering, then the only moral solution must be for vegetarians to refrain from killing & eating vegetables too. ;)

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
I was not talking what life was less or more...I said; Vegetables have a less sophisticated ability to experience fear, pain and stress than animals.

Is there evidence that plants have ANY ability to experience fear, pain and stress? Plants don't have pain receptors, central nervous systems or brains, and I struggle to see how an organism could experience fear, pain and stress without those.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Why not? I happen to believe that vegetables and fruits are just as alive as animals.
That is biologically incorrect. Both have life.

Or at least plants are alive in their own right and way. Hold on a sec... animals have rights, why don't plants have rights too? Is there a plant rights organization or something? This is racist. Err... bigotry? Say, what do you call discrimination due to being animal vs. plant?

Plants don't have voice and can't express their minds. Let's eat them, right?

Rick O'Shez

I agree. So if plants are alive, and (I believe, like a seemingly growing number of scientists also believe) that plants also feel pain and suffering....

Evidence? How can plants feel pain and suffering without pain receptors, central nervous systems or brains?

And perhaps more importantly, is there evidence that plants feel MORE pain than animals? I very much doubt there is, which means your argument here is just another straw-man.

I still haven't seen a convincing argument from the pro meat-buying lobby, it is all self-justifying straw-men and red herrings. There seems to be a lot of rationalisation and denial going on, it seems like people just like eating meat and are making excuses.

Last edited:

buddhist

Or at least plants are alive in their own right and way. Hold on a sec... animals have rights, why don't plants have rights too? Is there a plant rights organization or something? This is racist. Err... bigotry? Say, what do you call discrimination due to being animal vs. plant?

Plants don't have voice and can't express their minds. Let's eat them, right?
They have a right to be eaten, according to the vegans and vegetarians :)

Rick O'Shez

And it's okay to have that attitude towards plants but not animals, because?
(That you quoted was sarcastic, by the way :D)

Because plants don't have the same level of intelligence, or the same ability to feel pain and fear.

Actually I think it is good to respect ALL forms of life, the issue here is about minimising the harm we do. Unless there is convincing evidence that plants feel MORE pain and fear than animals, then the whole plant argument is worthless here.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Pull a knife on a plant and see if it winces or tries to pull away, then slowly start cutting it off and listen for the screams of pain if any, if not your argument is moot!!

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Because plants don't have the same level of intelligence, or the same ability to feel pain and fear.

Actually I think it is good to respect ALL forms of life, the issue here is about minimising the harm we do. Unless there is convincing evidence that plants feel MORE pain and fear than animals, then the whole plant argument is worthless here.
Pull a knife on a plant and see if it winces or tries to pull away, then slowly start cutting it off and listen for the screams of pain if any, if not your argument is moot!!

Good points!

I take back what I said :neutral:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Is there evidence that plants have ANY ability to experience fear, pain and stress? Plants don't have pain receptors, central nervous systems or brains, and I struggle to see how an organism could experience fear, pain and stress without those.
There does seem to be some studies suggesting awareness and emotion in plants but that is besides the point here. In my school of thought all life is more than the physical components (etheric, astral, whatever also).

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Is it just me or do all these people that claim plants have feelings also eat plants, just saying!!

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Is it just me or do all these people that claim plants have feelings also eat plants, just saying!!
I think they are just saying it to imply a double standard in vegetarians/vegans who complain about the feelings of animals, not that they are using it as argument for real, as it feels obvious to me that it is why they're saying it. I think they are being sarcastic asking rhetorical questions. I also noticed they they talk mostly about life before feelings.

buddhist

Good points!

I take back what I said :neutral:
You shouldn't ... e.g. here it says "researchers, says Pollan, have played a recording of a caterpillar munching on a leaf to plants — and the plants react. They begin to secrete defensive chemicals — even though the plant isn't really threatened, Pollan says. "It is somehow hearing what is, to it, a terrifying sound of a caterpillar munching on its leaves."