• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was the Buddha a vegetarian?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Would a buddhist purchasing meat not create incentive for the butcher? Would it not be wiser to reduce the demand and lower the negative karma on the Butcher's side of things?
It dosent eliminate the contention by which predator and prey relationships work. Somehow vultures seem to maintain a notable distinction of neutrality through their nature and habits.

MountainPine

Deuteronomy 30:16
The limits of my intention & kamma stops at my intention. There is no violence done in the specific act of eating meat.

I beg to differ. You are destroying your body by consuming meat, because meat contains viruses, bacteria, carcinogens, ROS, mutagens, LDL cholesterol, etc. Eating meat is a violent action against oneself, as doing drugs.

David1967

Premium Member
I beg to differ. You are destroying your body by consuming meat, because meat contains viruses, bacteria, carcinogens, ROS, mutagens, LDL cholesterol, etc. Eating meat is a violent action against oneself, as doing drugs.

The Buddhist monastery near me had a vegetarian cooking class last year that I attended. I asked one of the nuns if a person could get all the protein and nutrients from a strictly vegetarian diet. She said to me ,"do I look unhealthy? " She did indeed seem to be very healthy. :)

Twilight Hue

To me he is just your middle-man (your paid killer) .....but carry on then.

It seems a form of aversion towards the natural world and the way it works.

The vulture is an interesting animal. He eats meat but doesn't kill. One native American tribe calls the vulture "Peace Eagle".

I suppose if I had a spirit animal, I think the vulture would be the one I would feel most connected to on a personal level.

Twilight Hue

The Buddhist monastery near me had a vegetarian cooking class last year that I attended. I asked one of the nuns if a person could get all the protein and nutrients from a strictly vegetarian diet. She said to me ,"do I look unhealthy? " She did indeed seem to be very healthy. :)
I'm certainly not against vegetarian habits but brain health appears dependent upon the inclusion of some meat in one's diet.

It's never easy killing as I used to hunt pheasant when younger. I despised the manner my uncle used to kill chickens for supper through a process of bleeding. My neighbor did a much better job with a swift clean blow with the axe as he raised and ate his own poultry instead of going to the store.

David1967

Premium Member
I'm certainly not against vegetarian habits but brain health appears dependent upon the inclusion of some meat in one's diet.

It's never easy killing as I used to hunt pheasant when younger. I despised the manner my uncle used to kill chickens for supper through a process of bleeding. My neighbor did a much better job with a swift clean blow with the axe as he raised and ate his own poultry instead of going to the store.

It would definitely be a challenge to convert to an all vegetarian diet, especially being raised a meat eater. I don't like the idea of killing anything and the Buddhist view of respect for all life is very appealing. On the other hand, I sure do like meat.

VioletVortex

Vegetarianism is a fairly new idea. It's mainly a construct of Abrahamic moralism, however, it does occur within Dharmic culture. It's possible that the Bhudda was a vegetarian, however it's unlikely, as vegetarianism is a fad. It isn't something an individual comes up with on his own.

MountainPine

Vegetarianism is a fairly new idea. It's mainly a construct of Abrahamic moralism, however, it does occur within Dharmic culture. It's possible that the Bhudda was a vegetarian, however it's unlikely, as vegetarianism is a fad. It isn't something an individual comes up with on his own.

Vegetarianism is only a fad if one does it for health reasons alone, or to be accepted by a certain group. However, wanting to cease the support of cruelty to animals and to the destruction of the planet is an appeal to conscience. You can't say it's a fad when done for ethical reasons.

That's what they all say. "0)

Actually we probably wouldn't be where we are if our ancestors didn't include meat
in their diet. Its subtile but not irrevelant.

http://www.livescience.com/24875-meat-human-brain.html

Really? You're going to use a science news site as a source? If you look hard enough, you can also find plenty of vegan sites that refute all that nonsense.

Twilight Hue

It would definitely be a challenge to convert to an all vegetarian diet, especially being raised a meat eater. I don't like the idea of killing anything and the Buddhist view of respect for all life is very appealing. On the other hand, I sure do like meat.
Yea I can definitely relate.

I think death and dying is an adversarial condition givin why so many decide to abstain from partaking in the act of killing animals and/or consuming animal flesh.

No living thing proactively wants to die or suffer, so I understand from an empathetic standpoint, however one look at raw nature is telling and unavoidable, yet it's place and role become apparant on a grand scale.

I've been an advocate of practicing a middle way approach by which meat consumption and humane slaughter go hand in hand with compassion in face of the direct reality concerning life and death.

There is no doubt that everyone of us lives a life of consumption and that of being consumed, weither any decision to eat meat is made or not.

MountainPine

The argument is centered around the B12 issue. Tell me, how do you think natural herbivores get B12? I guess they better start eating meat too.

Twilight Hue

The argument is centered around the B12 issue. Tell me, how do you think natural herbivores get B12? I guess they better start eating meat too.

They do. Eating reminemts of flesh or animal by products like excrement, eggs, insects, and such that they find. Yep. Herbivores do that stuff.

Vitamin B 12 is not found in any plant matter as much as you think or wish it was if it be the case.

buddhist

Errr....yes.?
Surely you (or all insistent vegetarians here) should refrain from doing so, because you kill innumerable insects as a result - right? Or, perhaps your intention is not to kill those insects, but to travel.

My intention is not to kill animals, but to eat. When I'm eating, I do not harbor the intention "let's kill more animals!"

Last edited: